PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:55 am      Post subject: Ortowki/Orlowski - Possibly Moszczenica Poland

I have been trying to research my great grandfather's family and am having a very hard time finding any information. I know that he immigrated from Poland on 23 Dec 1901 from Bremen into New York City on ship Kronprinz Wilhelm (destination Muncy Valley, PA) - he listed his origin as Austria and last residence as what you see belowin the image which I don't know what it is. Someone suggested it might be Moszczenica.

He also traveled to American on 15 AUG 1903 from Liverpool, England, UK on the ship Campania. I do not know where in Poland he was from. Here is what I know...

Joseph/Jozef P. Ortowski (might have been spelled Orlowski) with Polish spelling. My records indicate he was born March 19, 1876 in Poland but I have no information on where in Poland or anything about his parents names etc... His death certificate lists mother as Telka Grymbowski but I was told this may be a cousin or aunt possibly. Some records spell her last name as Oswiemeinski. His father may be Valerian Orlowski (1844 - 1899). Joseph had a sister named Sophie b. 1878 and another sister or step sister Louise (Orlowski) Broch/Brock b. 25 Nov 1880. I know Louise moved to Tomahawk, WI by 1920 and Joseph also lived there around 1915.

Family lore says that my great grandfather's mother died while he was still young and his father remarried. My great grandfather was pushed out of the household by this step mother because she did not want him to inherit family lands. Further details say that he joined the Polish Army and fought before leaving for America for a new life. One great aunt said that my great grandfather had a sister that also came to the US and worked in a garment factory that caught fire and she died (possibly in NY??) I think this could have been Sophie mentioned above but i don't know.

Joseph married my great grandmother (Marya/Mary Mazan) on 12 Jan 1904 in La Porte, Sullivan, Pennsylvania. I have the county marriage record but have been unable to get the church record thinking that might have additional details on his birth place. I know that my great grandmother came from Gora Ropczcka, Ropczyc, Poland and I know quite a bit about her family. Joseph died 24 Mar 1949 in Grand Rapids, Kent, Michigan. He worked as a tanner most of his life.

Some other relatives traveled to Poland maybe 25 years ago to do research but did not come back with any answers.

austria.JPG
 Description:
Last residence listed when entered USA in 1901 -possibly Moszczenica???
 Filesize:  9.1 KB
 Viewed:  2938 Time(s)

austria.JPG

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: