PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:39 pm      Post subject: Teofil Gozdziewski, born 1895, arrival 1913

Hello everyone,
My name is Barbara,I am from Poland, and I am writing here to find (maybe) any information about my grandma’s brother Teofil Gozdziewski. My gradma died on 104, but I was still too young Very Happy then to ask about family history. Now I have to search on my own….
Here are the facts: Teofil was born on Dec 20, 1895 in Radzieje-Wity, parish: Paluki near Ciechanow, son of Antoni Gozdziewski and Konstancja Tretowska (Trentowska)
He came to USA on Jun 01, 1913, ship: Graf Waldersee from Hamburg to Philadelphia; about 1920 he lived in New York, Queens. Then he married Marion (Marianna?) D… (cannot read her surname, but it is of polish origin) and they lived in Brooklyn, he worked as a timekeeper, later as a foreman. That is all I know from passenger lists, both on arrival to USA and later tourist cruises.
After the 2nd world war he lived at the Greenpoint, Brooklyn and was financial secretary in the St. Stanislaus Kostka parish in some union called “Zwiazek Narodowy Polskiego Rozwoju”.
That was to find in documents online, but I would like to know anything about his family situation and when he died. Tried to find his name on MyHeritage, but it looks as if no one of his descendants had made his family tree on this site.
Regards,
Barbara
P.S. If anyone need help with searching their roots in Poland or translating do not hesitate to ask.
jimpaprocki

Replies: 9

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:34 am      Post subject: Wife - Marion Dziezye

Cześć Barbara,

Teofil married Marion Dziezye on 5 Aug 1933 in Brooklyn, Kings (county), New York (state). Source:

https://stevemorse.org/vital/nymarriages-igg.html?index=groom

For last name use 'starts with Gozd.'

Jim P.
marie m

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:02 pm      Post subject:

Hello Barbara,

I found the WWI draft registration for Teofil on Hertiage.

https://www.myheritage.com/research/record-10513-13730496/teofik-gozdziewski-in-united-states-world-war-i-draft-registrations?s=317698951

He lived at 98 Clinton Ave. Maspeth NY. (I think this is Queens.) Date of birth and place of birth in Poland matches. The registration date was 1917-1918. The search result has teofik instead of teofil.

If you cannot see the actual document let me know and I will upload it.

Sorry, but I did not see anything else that would be a match.

Marie
JDombrowski89

Replies: 40

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:39 pm      Post subject:

Barbara,

Enclosed is a copy of Teofil's Petition for Naturalization. The Naturalization paperwork shows that Teofil was in the US Army from 3 September to 7 September in 1918 and was Honorably Discharged. All the other information within the file seems to match up with what you've provided along with the previous posts. Note, of interest, is Stanley Godzdziewski, listed as a witness. Are you aware of any other relatives immigrating to America by any chance?

It is possible Teofil may be the same as "Teofil Gwozdziowski" who died on 25 December 1945 and is buried in Saint John Cemetery in Middle Village, Queens County, New York, USA.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/161935735#

Also of interest is the the manifest's i believe you mention for the following:

For the S.S. Volendam, which arrived in New York City on 1 September 1936. It list's Teofil as being 38 years of age, his occupation being a timekeeper (which matches what was mentioned within his Petition for Naturalization), with a place of birth listed as Ciechanow, Poland. Last Permanent residence is listed as Brooklyn, NY.

For the S.S. Pilsudski which arrived in New York City on 24 December 1938. It list's a Teofil Gozdziewski, 41 years of age. He is listed as speaking English and Polish. He is considered stateless and having been born in Ciechanow, Poland. A last permanent residence lists Brooklyn, NY. Perhaps Teofil managed to visit Poland as well?

Regards,
JD

NYT715_5862-0078.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  315.21 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

NYT715_5862-0078.jpg

NYT715_6268-0441.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  553.49 KB

NYT715_6268-0441.jpg

imusany1824_1044-00073.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  175.17 KB

imusany1824_1044-00073.jpg

31301_168500-00943.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  751.84 KB

31301_168500-00943.jpg

Send e-mail
marie m

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:00 pm      Post subject:

JDombrowski89 wrote:
Barbara,

It is possible Teofil may be the same as "Teofil Gwozdziowski" who died on 25 December 1945 and is buried in Saint John Cemetery in Middle Village, Queens County, New York, USA.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/161935735#

Regards,
JD

I took a look at this. I have seen another Teofil Gwozdziowski in My Heritage documents that lived in the same area. The one from St. John Cemetery has a wife named Katherine. All 4 listed are buried in the same grave.

gwozdziowski.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.25 KB

gwozdziowski.PNG

marie m

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:01 am      Post subject:

If this is the correct Teofil, here is some ship information.

The Volendam manisfest shows a NY / Bermuda cruise. The ship did 7 day cruises in 1936.

Pilsudski – Ocean Liner - Interesting article on this ship. Link:
http://cruiselinehistory.com/1930s-liner-history-the-ms-pilsudski-they-call-this-ship-the-polish-titanic/

As JD suggested, they may have gone back to Poland for a visit. It looks like they left Europe Dec 24 1938 and arrived in NY Jan 2 1939.

Pilsudski.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  301.43 KB

Pilsudski.PNG

pilsudski part 1.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  557.76 KB

pilsudski part 1.PNG

pilsudski part 2.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  524.57 KB

pilsudski part 2.PNG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: