PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:10 pm      Post subject: Town Name - Taberna Wotiviensis/Woliviensis

Hi,
I am at a dead end in regard to a marriage record for Laurentius Ewelt (Hewelt) who was born in Zarnowiec, Pomorskie, Poland. I have ordered the film through the LDS and have looked through all of what they have. This town did not appear very often in all the records. I have downloaded the marriage record and have tried everything I know to figure out where the town is that is listed. I am interested in the 2nd town name of the downloaded page. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Monica Biernat

Town Name In Poland.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  357.75 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Town Name In Poland.jpg

Monica

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:14 pm      Post subject: Town Name in Poland

Hi,
I am at a dead end in regard to a marriage record for Laurentius Ewelt (Hewelt) who was born in Zarnowiec, Pomorskie, Poland. I have ordered the film through the LDS and have looked through all of what they have. This town did not appear very often in all the records. I have downloaded the marriage record and have tried everything I know to figure out where the town is that is listed. I am interested in the 2nd town name of the downloaded page. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Monica Biernat
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2783

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:43 pm      Post subject: Re: Town Name in Poland

Monica wrote:
Hi,
Monica Biernat

Hi Monica,

The place was probably not a village. It would appear that it was either simply an inn/tavern or a small settlement which grew up around the inn/tavern. This would explain why the place name is not often found in the parish records.

The name as it appears in the record is Taberna Wołoviensis (or Wotoviensis). The first word, taberna, is Latin for an inn or a tavern. The second word is a place name which has been transformed into a Third Declension adjective modifying taberna. To determine the vernacular name the Latin ending “iensis” is dropped and then one would have to recover the vernacular place name. The place could be something like Wołowo or Wotowo. Without being familiar with area place names at the time the record was composed it is difficult to be certain of the name of the inn/tavern.

An example of retrieving a vernacular place name from a Third Declension Latin adjectival form would be the Latin version for a term like “The Archdiocese of Chicago”. Chicago in the Latin version is Chicagiensis. Drop the “iensis” and you are left with Chicag. A bit of geographical knowledge allows one to retrieve the place name as Chicago.

Sorry that I can’t be of more help but I doubt that one would find the place on any contemporary maps or any historical maps of the region.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:02 pm      Post subject: Re: Town Name in Poland

Monica wrote:
Hi,
Monica Biernat

Monica,
It is written in latin Taberna Wotiviensis or Woliviensis. I could locate two villages mentioned in that page: Strzebielino and Goscicino, using mapa.szukacz.pl
According to Google translatort Taberna is Tawerna in polish, but I coud not find any in the area. Maybe it is a place that no longer exists or had its name changed. I would have to check SGKP.
My best shot is Wolowe Uroczysko (see image attached), very close to Wielki Las, one of the places mentioned in that page.

Gilberto

Captura de Tela (22).png
 Description:
 Filesize:  439.84 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Captura de Tela (22).png

Send e-mail
Monica

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:25 am      Post subject: Town Name in Poland

Thanks for your help with my post. I appreciate you taking the time. Thanks Monica
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: