PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:59 pm      Post subject: Adam Kowal relative Luszwoice baptism?

Hi I'm looking to find more info on my great grandfather John Kowal's baptism, immigration, parents, etc....

He was born in Poland Lipiny that was controlled by Austria.
It appears his baptism was in Luszwoice Dyec. Tarnow Gal.

Birth years either around BIRTH 1888 or 24 JUL 1893

His father was Adam Kowal (or Kowalski)
His mother was Maryanna Octon

His wedding was 3 Feb 1913 in Chicago IL
U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
VIEW RECORD
Name John Kowal
Birth Date 24 Jul 1893
Birth Place Poland
Death Date 8 Feb 1952
Claim Date 3 Mar 1952
SSN 321187447
Notes 05 Aug 1977: Name listed as JOHN KOWAL

Well not sure about John's birth because it appears on wedding it says his baptism was 1888 and on US SSN it says 1893.

Well at a brick wall with side of the family; thanks for any help

Adam Kowal pic.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.85 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Adam Kowal pic.jpg

Adam Kowal.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.57 KB

Adam Kowal.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:02 pm      Post subject: Re: Adam Kowal relative Luszwoice baptism?

edwardklemundt wrote:
Hi I'm looking to find more info on my great grandfather John Kowal's baptism, immigration, parents, etc....

He was born in Poland Lipiny that was controlled by Austria.
It appears his baptism was in Luszwoice Dyec. Tarnow Gal.

Birth years either around BIRTH 1888 or 24 JUL 1893

His father was Adam Kowal (or Kowalski)
His mother was Maryanna Octon

His wedding was 3 Feb 1913 in Chicago IL
U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
VIEW RECORD
Name John Kowal
Birth Date 24 Jul 1893
Birth Place Poland
Death Date 8 Feb 1952
Claim Date 3 Mar 1952
SSN 321187447
Notes 05 Aug 1977: Name listed as JOHN KOWAL

Well not sure about John's birth because it appears on wedding it says his baptism was 1888 and on US SSN it says 1893.

Well at a brick wall with side of the family; thanks for any help

Edward,

Here is an 8 pound sledge to help you with both the Kowal and the Skotnicki walls.

Jan Kowal & the Skotnicki/Szkotnicki siblings were born in what at the time was Lipiny, powiat Dąbrowski, Galicia (currently: Lipiny, gmina Dąbrowa Tarnowska, powiat Dąbrowski, województwo Małopolskie). The Skorowidz (published in the 1930s) confirms that the R.C. parish for Lipiny was Luszowice (cf. final column of attachment). Birth/baptism records from Luszowice have been digitized and can be found on Family Search (cf. attachment). The downside is that it necessary to go to either a LDS Family History Center or an affiliated library to view the records. Marriages have not been digitized at the present time and are on film. Unfortunately, films are no longer available for rental so it will be necessary to wait until they are digitized in order to view them. Films are regularly being digitized so there is no telling when those marriage records will be ready. To locate a Family History Center or affiliated library in the Chicago area scroll down on the Family Search home page https://www.familysearch.org/ to Family History Centers---find a center. There are a good number of locations in the Chicago area and depending on where you live in Chi-town you should be able to find a location that is reasonably convenient.

Attached to the next post are the marriage records for Skotnicki siblings. (To attach them to this post would exceed the attachment limit.) Jan/John was married at Holy Trinity and the other siblings were all married at John Cantius. The most probable reason tha Jan/John was married at Holy Trinity is that was probably the parish of the bride and R.C. weddings were supposed to take place in the bride’s parish. There are some variations in the spelling of surnames in the marriage records but that may be due either to the fact that the priest used the spelling as it appeared on the civil marriage license or that he simply wrote the surname as he heard it pronounced. All the marriages which took place in Polish parishes until 1915 have been indexed by the PGSA https://pgsa.org and that info can be used to locate the actual marriage record by browsing the Chicago Catholic Church records on Family Search.

A note about the record you posted and the marriage records of Skotnicki siblings who married at St. John Cantius...The register format is in Latin but the parish priests entered the data in Polish. This explains why some place names (like Lipiny) vary from record to record (e.g. Lipiny is the Nominative [subject] Case of the noun in Polish and Lipinach is the Locative Case.) The entry “Luszowice Dyec. Tarnów Gal. Means “Luszowice in the Diocese (The abbreviation uses a 19th & early 20th spelling of the Polish word for diocese [diecezja].) of Tarnów, (in) Galicia. A bit of information found in the Latin text of the record regarding Antonina which may prove useful in your research is “in hac parochia per ___ mens ___ (vel) ann 6 commorantem...” and is translated “residing in this parish (i. e. St. John Cantius) for ___ months (or) 6 years.” This info could provide a clue regarding the year of her immigration.

The Skotnicki siblings' marriage records will follow in the next post.

I hope that the sledge hammer of this information helps you through your wall to where you want to be.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

Screenshot-2017-12-27 FamilySearch Catalog Księgi metrykalne, 1686-1936 ? FamilySearch org.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  157.61 KB

Screenshot-2017-12-27 FamilySearch Catalog Księgi metrykalne, 1686-1936 ? FamilySearch org.png

Screenshot-2017-12-27 Digital Library of Wielkopolska-1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  156.93 KB

Screenshot-2017-12-27 Digital Library of Wielkopolska-1.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:07 pm      Post subject:

Edward,

Here are the marriage records.

Dave

Witek-Skotnicka Marriage.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  414.36 KB

Witek-Skotnicka Marriage.png

Skotnicki-Chlopek Marriage.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  275.77 KB

Skotnicki-Chlopek Marriage.png

11-17-1908 Holy Trinity Jan Szkotnicki & Anna Cichon Wedding.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  265.54 KB

11-17-1908 Holy Trinity Jan Szkotnicki & Anna Cichon Wedding.png

edwardklemundt

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:46 pm      Post subject: Thanks for all the info

Thanks Dave for assistance that is what I feared I had to wait for data to be digital. I'm a frequent user on familysearch.org and thanks for the marriages; I had a few records but not all of them. Though appreciate you finding the other records and giving me info of the Parish. I was a member of PGSA but have not renewed recently. My family did not pass on too much info; I also did not learn Polish. I believe only my grandma could speak it, and she passed away when I was about six. So I have little knowledge of areas they were from. Though my father did take me to familyhistory library a few years ago and showed me how to use the microfilm. They probably will not have records at that library; probably all at the familysearch primary library. But thanks again and it just a waiting game now.
PabianAus
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 181

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:19 pm      Post subject:

In a recent FamilySearch blog item from 20 December titled “What’s New: Search Records at Home”, there is a paragraph at the end which advises contacting the Familysearch support team to request moving a film to the top of the digitisation priority list. I emailed them last week with a list of microfilm numbers of interest to me. It will be interesting to see if and when my microfilms appear digitised. It only costs you an email and you never know your luck.

The following is the paragraph in question…….

Searching Records Not Available at FamilySearch
FamilySearch continues to digitize microfilms at a rate of 1,000 each business day. That is the equivalent of digitizing every microfilm that has been requested by patrons in the past five years. What if the record you want hasn’t been digitized? First, check other family history websites to see if the information is available elsewhere. If not, you can request to have FamilySearch move your film to the top of the digitization priority list by contacting FamilySearch Support online (via the web page https://integration.familysearch.org/ask/help ) or by phone at 1-866-406-1830.

Tom
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:27 pm      Post subject: Luszowice Records

Edward,

To clarify a few matters…1. The birth records from Luszowice are digitized and are online, HOWEVER, in order to view them it is necessary to use a computer at any Family History Center or affiliate public library. You should be able to view those records any time you are able to get to a Family History Center or library. 2. It is only the marriage records which have not yet been digitized.

Here are explanations of some of what you find on a LDS catalog listing. The following statement tells you where the film from which the digital images were derived was actually made. In this case the statement reads:“Mikrofilm zrobiony z rękopisów w Archiwum Diecezjalne w Tarnowie.” (“Microfilm made from the manuscripts in the Diocesan Archive in Tarnów”). This tells you that the images are of ecclesiastical copies of the registers rather than civil transcripts. Akta urodzeń is births; Akta małżeństw is marriages; and Akta zgonów is deaths. The records you would want to check first are Akta urodzeń 1688-1691, 1784-1785, 1741-1775 -- Akta urodzeń 1777-1784, 1786-1908 International Film 1898452 Items 7 – 14. The records you want should be found in either item 13 or in item 14. The symbol of the camera tells you that the film has been digitized and the key above the camera tells you that there is a restriction---you must be at a Family History Center in order to view the image.

I would urge you to take Tom’s most excellent advice and request that the marriage film (Akta małżeństw 1686-1783, 1785-1877 -- Akta małżeństw 1869-1905 International Film 1898453) be given priority for digitization.

Happy record viewing and Happy New Year.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: