PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 33

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:49 am      Post subject: Towns of Sabir and Dzmierniki, Poland/Austria

I was wondering if anyone would recognize the towns of SABIR, Poland/Austria and/or DZMIERNIKI, Poland/Austria. It was on a typed birth record in the US of a child whose parents (my great grandparents - Jakob Marcinek and Maryanna Marzec) were documented to be born in these towns. I realize that they were probably written the way they sounded as I don't think the family was literate in 1894 so I tried writing them in Polish according to the way they sound - I am not having any luck either way. Maybe these towns just don't exist anymore? If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

GerriKos
PabianAus
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 181

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:00 pm      Post subject:

GerriKos,
How were the town names written on the passenger lists when they entered the USA ?
Tom
GerriKos

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:36 am      Post subject: Towns of Sabir and Dzmierniki, Poland/Austria

I cannot find them in any passenger list from any port. Their child's birth record is the only information I have on them. The family doesn't know anything about them. I believe they must have come to the US in the 1880's because the birth records here start in 1893 with their daughter, Catherine (my grandmother). However, Catherine had 3 older brothers who may have been born in Poland. It probably would be easier to have a hand written passenger record than something that someone else transcribed. I will keep looking in the passenger records but no luck so far. Thank you for answering my post.
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:51 am      Post subject: Re: Towns of Sabir and Dzmierniki, Poland/Austria

GerriKos wrote:
I cannot find them in any passenger list from any port. Their child's birth record is the only information I have on them. The family doesn't know anything about them. I believe they must have come to the US in the 1880's because the birth records here start in 1893 with their daughter, Catherine (my grandmother). However, Catherine had 3 older brothers who may have been born in Poland. It probably would be easier to have a hand written passenger record than something that someone else transcribed. I will keep looking in the passenger records but no luck so far. Thank you for answering my post.

Gerri,

I think it could be Zwiernik.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
GerriKos

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:34 am      Post subject: Towns of Sabir and Dzmierniki, Poland/Austria

Dear Gilberto,

I think you could be right! I will look for records from that town and see if there are any Marzec families. If it is correct, it would solve another question: How did my grandfather (in Philadelphia) meet my grandmother (in Baltimore, Maryland)?

Zwiernik is just above the town of Wola Lubecka where my grandfather was from. Maybe the families were friends in Poland !
Thank you so much.
GerriKos
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:27 pm      Post subject: Re: Towns of Sabir and Dzmierniki, Poland/Austria

GerriKos wrote:
Dear Gilberto,

I think you could be right! I will look for records from that town and see if there are any Marzec families. If it is correct, it would solve another question: How did my grandfather (in Philadelphia) meet my grandmother (in Baltimore, Maryland)?

Zwiernik is just above the town of Wola Lubecka where my grandfather was from. Maybe the families were friends in Poland !
Thank you so much.
GerriKos

A promising finding:
Stevemorse.org shows a Jakob Marcinek, arriving Sep 27, 1913, ship Kaiserin Auguste Victoria, from Hamburg. He was from Dylagówka, about 45 miles from Zwierniki. Nearest relative in the old country was Maryanna. He was going to a friend Wojciech Pod???, and I cannot read the address (ILLinois?). I will now check if I find Maryanna's arrival.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
GerriKos

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:17 pm      Post subject: Towns of Sabir and Dzmierniki, Poland/Austria

Gilberto,
Jakob Marcinek died in 1910 in Baltimore, Maryland. On Death Record his year of birth was 1865. He came before 1893 - three sons born before that time were Franciszek, Jozef and Jan and would probably be on the ship manifest with him and his wife, Maryanna.

GerriKos
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:13 pm      Post subject: Re: Towns of Sabir and Dzmierniki, Poland/Austria

GerriKos wrote:
Gilberto,
Jakob Marcinek died in 1910 in Baltimore, Maryland. On Death Record his year of birth was 1865. He came before 1893 - three sons born before that time were Franciszek, Jozef and Jan and would probably be on the ship manifest with him and his wife, Maryanna.

GerriKos

Gerri & Gilberto,

Based on the info you posted about Jakub’s death it is very possible that the attached FIND A GRAVE memorial is his.
The immigration records are certainly not an exact match but they would probably be worth researching. Immigration manifests prior to 1900 rarely contain info about the location of origin in Europe so even locating the manifest may not be of any help. The listing in the book, Germans to America would list family members who traveled with him and could possibly confirm that it is his immigration record. My recommendation would be to explore a different avenue---the church baptismal and death records. They probably belonged to the oldest Polish parish in Baltimore---St. Stanislaus, which had a cemetery (where Jakub and Maryanna are shown on the grave marker) and is now closed. Contact info to request sacramental records is attached. Another possible place to search would be the obituaries of the Polish language newspaper in Baltimore, Jedność Polonia, which was published from 1891 to 1951. PGSA has obits indexed from 1926-1948, which is no help. I don’t know where the early 20th Century obits are housed.

Wishing you a Happy New Year and successful research.

Dave

Screenshot-2017-12-31 List of Closed Parishes Archdiocese of Baltimore.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.42 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Screenshot-2017-12-31 List of Closed Parishes Archdiocese of Baltimore.png

Screenshot-2017-12-31 Maryland, Baltimore Passenger Lists Index, 1820-1897; https familysearch org ark 61903 3 1 3QS7-898X-[...].png
 Description:
 Filesize:  318.47 KB

Screenshot-2017-12-31 Maryland, Baltimore Passenger Lists Index, 1820-1897; https familysearch org ark 61903 3 1 3QS7-898X-[...].png

Screenshot-2017-12-31 Jacob Marcinak, United States Germans to America Index, 1850-1897 .png
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.83 KB

Screenshot-2017-12-31 Jacob Marcinak, United States Germans to America Index, 1850-1897 .png

Screenshot-2017-12-31 Jakob Marcinek (1865 - 1910) - Find A Grave Memorial.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  298.63 KB

Screenshot-2017-12-31 Jakob Marcinek (1865 - 1910) - Find A Grave Memorial.png

GerriKos

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:37 pm      Post subject: Towns of Sabir and Dzmierniki, Poland/Austria

Thanks, Dave.

I did find that 1888 arrival of a Jakob Marcinek and the age and time frame seemed right to me. However, I was confused as to why his wife and 3 boys were not listed as I think these first 3 children were born in Poland. I'll check the Germans to America book. Is it online somewhere or at the library? The gravestone is definitely my great-grandparents. I had contacted a Marcinek family in Baltimore and was happy to find that they were my cousins and were trying to put their history together when they got my letter. (You can never have too many cousins). We met with them and did some research together. There wasn't much to find.
I will look into all of the sources that you sent and will see if I can find out where the early 20th c records are stored.

Thank you Dave and Gilberto for the quick and significant help you provided.

GerriKos
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:41 pm      Post subject: Re: Towns of Sabir and Dzmierniki, Poland/Austria

GerriKos wrote:
Thanks, Dave.

I did find that 1888 arrival of a Jakob Marcinek and the age and time frame seemed right to me. However, I was confused as to why his wife and 3 boys were not listed as I think these first 3 children were born in Poland. I'll check the Germans to America book. Is it online somewhere or at the library? The gravestone is definitely my great-grandparents. I had contacted a Marcinek family in Baltimore and was happy to find that they were my cousins and were trying to put their history together when they got my letter. (You can never have too many cousins). We met with them and did some research together. There wasn't much to find.
I will look into all of the sources that you sent and will see if I can find out where the early 20th c records are stored.

Thank you Dave and Gilberto for the quick and significant help you provided.

GerriKos

Gerri,

“Germans to America” is a 67 volume work, which covers arrivals from 1850 through 1897. Despite errors, incomplete data, and omissions it can be helpful. Some libraries which have a good genealogy collection do have the series. The only online access of which I am aware is through Family Search. To access the material it is necessary to long on from a Family History Center. The volume which would be of interest to you is Vol. 55. You can also browse the original Baltimore Passenger Manifests on Family Search https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9Z8-Y8G3?i=8&wc=MKZ4-YWP%3A1004777901%2C1004792401&cc=2018318 The link is for the first half of the year 1888 and contains just over 600 images.

Wishing you success,

Dave
GerriKos

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:53 pm      Post subject: Towns of Sabir and Dzmierniki, Poland/Austria

Thanks, Dave. I went on the site you sent and saw the listing for Jacob Marcinek. It looks like a real possibility but without his wife and children, it's hard to be sure. I copied it, though, and will hold onto it - eventually I will find something that ties it in. It was interesting that each ship had different information on their passengers - some had quite a bit of info. Unfortunately, Jacob picked a ship that had very little. As anyone researching their family will agree, it just one more challenge that keeps it interesting. Thanks again for your help. I'm heading to the FHC tomorrow for digital records I can't get here.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:54 am      Post subject:

Hi Gerri,

In case you do not have it, there was a death notice in "Der Deutsche Correspondent" newspaper on Sunday, June 3, 1900 for Mary Marcinek. I am attaching a copy of the entire page it was on (and if it is too hard to see it, then I will try to copy just the relevant lines in a smaller image). Look at the left-most column, down in the section "Die Todten der Woche" (deaths of the week) and you will see:

Am 29. Mai -- Mary Marcinek, Nr. 808, Sud-Bondstrasse, 35 Jahre alt.
On the 29th of May -- Mary Marcinek, 808 South Bond Street, 35 years old.

Best of luck in your search,
Sophia

Der_Deutsche_correspondent_1900-06-03_4.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Der_Deutsche_correspondent_1900-06-03_4.pdf
 Filesize:  790.53 KB
 Downloaded:  310 Time(s)

Last edited by Sophia on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:00 am      Post subject:

Smaller clipping of the death notice for Mary.

Der_Deutsche_correspondent_1900-06-03_4.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.06 KB
 Viewed:  10024 Time(s)

Der_Deutsche_correspondent_1900-06-03_4.png

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:44 am      Post subject:

The "Germans to America" screenshot that Dave provided shows all of the info that is on the ship manifest itself. Here is the page of the manifest. See line 498.
Sophia

mdm255_44-0158.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  429.86 KB

mdm255_44-0158.jpg

WSheleski

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:48 am      Post subject: Ancestor Origin Town

Sophia has provided us with an excellent reminder to look at the original record. As Dave points out, looking in "Germans to America" and other sources is a good idea. If you are fortunate, they can (maybe) help you narrow down your search to specific times or places or ports of entry. HOWEVER, these sources can sometimes mislead you. These sources are full of errors and they generally do not provide you with all of the information in the actual original record. It is extremely important to use the information from these sources to look at the actual original records. Not a transcript or somebody else's summary or whatever--the ACTUAL ORIGINAL record. You'll be glad you did. You'll often find things that are not in the transcript or index, such as alternative spellings, marginal notes, etc. Also, look at the other records on the same ship. Sometimes you'll see other people you might recognize, like neighbors, cousins, etc. Nobody is as interested in this material as you are, so don't let them do the job for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: