PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:39 pm      Post subject: Town of Nisko and Palka Surname

I have just begun research on my Polish family history, and I am looking for help. My great-grandmother and great-grandfather both immigrated from Poland to the US between the years of 1910 and 1920. I have focused my current efforts on my great-grandmother (I have gathered the most information on her thus far.) According to her Ellis Island immigration record, she entered the country in November 1920 at the age of 16/17 (later census in Michigan listed birth year as 1903) and her given name was Sofia Palka. She listed Nisko, Poland as her last residence. I also found her marriage record from Saginaw, MI and it listed Stephen and Katrina as her parents. I also know that we have some kind of loose family connection to Rzeszow based on return addresses written on envelopes from the 1980's that were addressed to my grandmother (Sofia's daughter.) I am unsure of the family connection, but my aunt believes it was possibly my grandmother's cousin (Sofia's niece or nephew.) I do not have access to the listed name(s) at the moment, but I could acquire it within the week. My father has also mentioned that he thought Sofia's mother, Katrina, may have immigrated to the US later on as well. I have some experience with genealogy in the US, but I am absolutely clueless as to where to start in my Polish research. I (ironically) drove right through Nisko a few summers ago, but did not have all this information at the time **sigh**. I know it is a small town and that at the turn of the century it was mostly a farming village and I may not be able to locate much information, but anything would help!
PabianAus
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 181

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:48 pm      Post subject:

Here is the birth record (#86) for Sophia Pałka born 4 October 1902 , baptised 5 October 1902, father Stephanius and mother Catharina Wojtak (or maybe Wojtek). The Polish equivalents of these Latinised given names would probably be Zofia, Stefan and Katarzyna.
The record is stored in the Polish Archives Branch office in Sandomierz - AP Sandomierz. This online version was found in GenBaza database http://metryki.genbaza.pl/en , in the AP Kielce folder and AP Sandomierz subfolder. You were in luck as the only online records they had for Nisko were births for 1890-1908.
The specific record is at http://metryki.genbaza.pl/genbaza,detail,108004,81 but you need to be logged in to GenBaza to be able to access it. It is a free login registration.

Tom

Birth Sophia Palka 1902 Nr 86 Nisko.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  815.16 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Birth Sophia Palka 1902 Nr 86 Nisko.JPG

Last edited by PabianAus on Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
annem88

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:51 am      Post subject:

Tom,
Thank you so very much! This is her! I confirmed the birth date with a death record my father has! This is monumental for me, it was so exciting to see that record! The information will also be very useful in locating Catharina after she came to the US as well as further researching the Polish lineage. Thank you again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: