PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 47

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:53 am      Post subject: Searching for references on Battle of Przemyśl 1939

Hi everyone,

Looking for advice and references surrounding the Battle of Przemyśl that took place in the middle of September 1939. My grandfather was an infantryman and according to documents was taken by the Germans on the 17th September. However, all information I've seen (which isn't very much), states that the battle finished on the 14th September, with the town being abandoned to the Germans on the 15th and the army retreating to Lwów. I don't see how he would still be in the area unless he was somehow separated from his unit, or was trying to make a dash home - which was around 1 days' walk away. Furthermore from what I gather, the Russians entered the town on the 18th September, so perhaps he thought going with the Germans was the lesser of two evils?
I am trying to construct a fictional piece for a genealogy course I'm currently doing about what my grandfather was up to during those two-three days and Wikipedia seems to be one of the only English references, which we are dissuaded from using academically. Of course, I would like to know if there is any further information available in English, or if there are only references to this battle in Polish (which I would unfortunately struggle to read Sad )
Thanks in advance!

Megan.
aleksanderz
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 56

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:47 am      Post subject:

Hi Megan,

Przemyśl has been defended by 7 infantry battalions in 1939. Would you perhaps know the unit in which your grandfather has served? This might helping in establishing his fate.

Aleksander
megsiek86

Replies: 47

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:39 am      Post subject: Searching for references on Battle of Przemyśl 1939

Hi Aleksander,

All I know is that he was in the 67th Infantry Reserves - and I have never been able to determine what battalion this was a part of, or any Polish Army records for him, apart from his P.O.W card. He was captured on the 17th September 1939 and taken by the Germans, remaining a P.O.W. for the length of the war, before eventually emigrating with his family to Australia. This was discovered from his D.P. records and immigration file.
I guess what I'm looking for is the background surrounding this battle and possible reasons for him to not be captured until 3 days later. Wikipedia does explain this to some extent, but I didn't really want to rely on just that. Any reference books where this battle is mentioned, just list the date it started and the date when the Germans took over.
Thanks for your reply,

Megan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: