PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Witamy Górale!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

If you have Górale roots please answer our poll to see how many are here.
yes
98%
 98%  [ 50 ]
no
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 51

Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:01 pm      Post subject:

Bill, I'm in the process of moving - but somewhere I've got a "To Do" item to get my book scanned or copied. My home printer would take forever and I kind of wonder if a scanned copy would be too big to e-mail since it is about 40 pages. If you do want a copy ( and somewhere I remember you mentioning it) I am planning to try and send you a scanned copy. If that doesn't work I'll get some hard copies I can mail. But it won't be too soon. Time for me to move and then plant 600 grape vines! I'll be back sometime. Happy Easter.

Dianne
stasu

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:51 pm      Post subject:

Hi Bill,
Where did you get your wonderful "Flatlands grow onions..." from. I would appreciate the original Polish if you have it so I can torment my native flatland friend-he has a habit of picking on my goral ancestry.
Stan Bednarczyk
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:18 pm      Post subject: Goral statement

Stan, I heard they saying 40 years ago when my coal mining family gathered to play pinochle. Then I forgot all about it till a friend wrote an article with the quote and it came back to me. I believe the Goral version is-"cepry hoduje cebule a gory rodza mężczyzn". A flatlander is referred to as a "ceper" if you are a Góral-anyone who is not from the Mountains. And tell him "Tomasz "Góral" Adamek will kick a ceper's butt anytime.
PS- Ed Bednarczyk was a welder for my dad in Ohio.

Go here and in the text box cut and paste it in the quote-it will pronounce it for you. (select Polish (flag) and Jacek or Jan for the voice)

http://www.ivona.com/#

tomasz-adamek posed.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.38 KB
 Viewed:  12896 Time(s)

tomasz-adamek posed.jpg

Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:24 pm      Post subject:

dlhalcin wrote:
Bill, I'm in the process of moving - but somewhere I've got a "To Do" item to get my book scanned or copied. My home printer would take forever and I kind of wonder if a scanned copy would be too big to e-mail since it is about 40 pages. If you do want a copy ( and somewhere I remember you mentioning it) I am planning to try and send you a scanned copy. If that doesn't work I'll get some hard copies I can mail. But it won't be too soon. Time for me to move and then plant 600 grape vines! I'll be back sometime. Happy Easter.

Dianne

I'll take it anyway you want to make it. You have to scan it page by page so you could send 5 pages at a time in a email x 8. Ok let me know if you need my address. Dzienki, Bill
Send e-mail
zamagurie

Replies: 32

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:52 am      Post subject: Spis County / Slovak Language

Hi,
Spis Region was a former county and you are correct in that it is known under as Szepes (Hungarian) Spis (Slovak - no diacrylic mark but pronounced SPISH; Spisz is Polish. The Zips refers to Germans who had moved to certain regions within the Spis region in Slovakia. In Slovak, SlovaCI are Slovaks.

However, it is not very common to my knowledge to call people from the Spis region Spisaci. Also, I have not in my 10 years of research in this exact region which straddles the geographical region covered by this forum to hear Zipsci

I study the Slovak Language and ow and will spend 10 months under a Fulbright in Slovakia/Southern Poland beginning in September. So hopefully I can add here linguistically and culturally having researched this region for well over 10 years. I also want to mention the Zamagurie Region DNA project which I am group administrator for. This project may be of interest to several people who have already posted at Polish Origins.

Take care. Zamagurie

Bill Rushin wrote:
Slovak is something that I know little of, however my friend told me it is Spis is "Zips". So Zips-acee? I tried it in Google Translate and it just says Spisz- like it is spelled. I don't think that is correct. I will ask my Slovak Goral buddy when he answers my other email.

He may have been involved with this-

The Tatra range divides Slovakia from Poland, the southern length of their common border running through its craggy peaks. The southern side of the Tatra's have not always been under Slovakian control. Prior to 1918 this area was under Hungarian rule within the counties of Szepes (Spis), Liptov and Arva (Orava). To the north has not always been under Polish control, either. Prior to 1918 this region was under Austrian domination, within its Crownland called Galacia. With the end of WWI in 1918, the Tatra area again became part of Slovakia and Poland. In 1920 border changes in Orava and Spis were made by the Council of Ambassadors and 30 Slovak villages were given to Poland. Scan it and send to my email address.
Quote:

Send e-mail
Visit poster's website
zamagurie

Replies: 32

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:00 am      Post subject:

dlhalcin wrote:

Dianne

Dianne, I am a grad student specifically studying reasons for emigration from this region. If at all possible, I would greatly appreciate a hard copy of this book that you offer Bill. Literature about the transfer back and forth is hard to find and would be important as one of the reasons to emigrate. You can email me at zamagurie AT zoominternet DOT net (changed to avoid phishing) and we can exchange addresses. I will compensate you for your postage and copying costs.

Sincerely,
KAM

Send e-mail
Visit poster's website
dl1949

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:21 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

My mother's family lived in the Podhale town of Waksmund, Poland. When she was 17, my mother left the town to settle in Chicago. Although my mother was an American citizen, born in Hastings, PA, she was the only one in her family to return to the United States. Her brother, sister and parents remained in Poland. The family left the United States years earlier to return to Poland. I was lucky enough that my mother past on the rich Gorale culture to me and my sister. I have inherited the pride and independence of my Gorale ancestors.
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:30 pm      Post subject:

Hello dl1949,
It was nice of you to share your story here. How interesting. most stories told are usually the other way around. Do you know the name of the church where your family attended?
Send e-mail
dl1949

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:36 pm      Post subject:

I don't know the name of the parish in Waksmund, but when my grandparents lived in Hastings, the name of the parish was St. Bernard's. My grandfather was a coal miner in Pennsylvania.
jackiewisniewski

Replies: 51

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:18 pm      Post subject:

Hi Bill & the rest of the forum!
This week, I was FINALLY able to confirm that my great-grandfather Jan Polanski (1894-1971) came from the Goral area (thanks to the TARG website!). His birth town was Zubrzyca Górna (also known as Zubricza during hungarian rule).
He emigrated to the US (Chicago) in 1913 and stayed here until his death. I'm still learning about him, but the odd thing is that of all my great-grandparents, he is the only one I've been unable to find siblings/cousins of. There was a rumor passed around the family that originated from his daughter (my 90 year old grandmother) that he had Gypsy/Roma roots. I thought it was due to the amount of times they moved throughout the years (multiple times per year), so I'm interested to learn if this is a common misconception, or if the Gypsies/Roma also have a strong presence in this area.

I was also told that it was common for families from this area to make their eldest son stay behind to work the family land, and that the younger siblings were free to emigrate or move. The person that told me this said it's extremely likely that my great-grandfather had at least an older brother who stayed behind. Do any of you know whether there would be any truth to this?

I'm looking forward to learning more about this area! Smile

Jackie
Send e-mail
Visit poster's website
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:51 pm      Post subject:

jackiewisniewski wrote:
Hi Bill & the rest of the forum!
This week, I was FINALLY able to confirm that my great-grandfather Jan Polanski (1894-1971) came from the Goral area (thanks to the TARG website!). His birth town was Zubrzyca Górna (also known as Zubricza during hungarian rule).
He emigrated to the US (Chicago) in 1913 and stayed here until his death. I'm still learning about him, but the odd thing is that of all my great-grandparents, he is the only one I've been unable to find siblings/cousins of. There was a rumor passed around the family that originated from his daughter (my 90 year old grandmother) that he had Gypsy/Roma roots. I thought it was due to the amount of times they moved throughout the years (multiple times per year), so I'm interested to learn if this is a common misconception, or if the Gypsies/Roma also have a strong presence in this area.

Jackie,
I found your great-grandfather Jan 'John' Polanski's obituary in the Chicago Tribune Historical Archive (at least I think that's him ...). In case you don't have it yet, I'm attaching the text of the obituary for you below. Obituaries can be very helpful in identifying family connections and in discovering maiden names, unknown siblings and their spouses, and other facts that cannot be found in other places. Unfortunately, your great-grandfather's obit doesn't mention any siblings, cousins etc. at all. I don’t know if the Zubrzyca Górna parish records have been microfilmed, I suspect only the parish registers will show if your great-grandfather had more siblings, what their names were, when they were born, and so on, and you'll have to go from there. Did you find your great-grandfather's 1913 passenger record?

As to the Gypsy roots, I was also told that my paternal grandfather who -- like your great-grandfather emigrated to the US and lived in Chicago until his death -- was part Polish, part Slovak, and part Gypsy. He had black hair, olive skin, and black eyes, but all of his Podhale ancestors I have found so far had Polish surnames and were Roman Catholic, so I really don't know what to think. I remember reading an article about Gypsies in the Tatra Mountains some years back, I'll try to find it again. Perhaps this book and its bibliography will be interesting to you: http://www.amazon.de/Bury-Me-Standing-Gypsies-Departures/dp/067973743X#reader_067973743X
Ute

1971-11-04
Chicago Tribune (IL)
Polanski
Edition: Chicago Tribune
John F. Polanski, W. W. I veteran, Nov. 3, 1971, beloved husband of the late Sophie, nee Smiegel; loving father of Edward [the late Helen], John [Elizabeth], Helen [Henry] Wisniewski, Sophie, and the late Frank Budd, Josephine [Leonard] Kozlowski, and the late William and Anna Polanski; grandfather of 14; great-grandfather of five. Resting at Satala Funeral Home, 4744 S. Damen Av. Funeral Saturday, Nov. 6, at 9 a.m., to St. Michael's Church. Interment Resurrection. Member of James J. Zientek Post, No. 419, American Legion. Bi 7-9739.

Source: Chicago Tribune Historical Archive, 1971, Record Number: 19711104dn141.
jackiewisniewski

Replies: 51

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:31 pm      Post subject:

Ute - You are so awesome!! Thank you!!! I did not have his obituary (and you are correct, this is the right person, and I did have his passenger list). I have access to the Chicago Tribune obituary archives through a remote login with my library, and I've even accessed Chicago Trib obits from the 30s... when I do a search for his, nothing comes up. Can I ask what database/website you use to access it?

And thank you for the book - I'm definitely going to check it out. I honestly thought that the way I would know if he had a Gypsy background would be if there were no records at all. Years ago I read up online about the culture, and it was my understanding that they typically do not leave records. This was years before I was involved in genealogy, and I specifically remember one of the issues that was discussed was that because their history is more oral-based, people who want to trace their family history were unlikely to find records. Now I'm certainly want to find out if there's any truth to that!

Jackie
Send e-mail
Visit poster's website
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:26 am      Post subject:

jackiewisniewski wrote:
I have access to the Chicago Tribune obituary archives through a remote login with my library, and I've even accessed Chicago Trib obits from the 30s... when I do a search for his, nothing comes up. Can I ask what database/website you use to access it?
And thank you for the book - I'm definitely going to check it out. I honestly thought that the way I would know if he had a Gypsy background would be if there were no records at all. Years ago I read up online about the culture, and it was my understanding that they typically do not leave records. This was years before I was involved in genealogy, and I specifically remember one of the issues that was discussed was that because their history is more oral-based, people who want to trace their family history were unlikely to find records. Now I'm certainly want to find out if there's any truth to that! Jackie

Jackie,
I have access to the Chicago Tribune Historical Archive through a remote login also, and when I searched for John Polanski, I found the 1971 obituary right away on the first page. Perhaps there is a difference between the Chicago Tribune Obituary Archives and the Chicago Tribune Historical Archive that I have access to. I found another two obituaries for your family that you’ll find below.
The reason why I asked if you have your great-grandfather’s passenger record is that from the information given in the ship manifest one can sometimes figure out family connections, e.g. the name of a parent, brother, sister, or other relatives the passenger indicated he/she stayed with in the old country resp. was going to join in the United States. Did you find any of this information in your great-grandfather’s passenger record?
I would try to get hold of the parish records for your great-grandfather’s birth town Zubrzyca Górna, and only if no signs of the name appear, then I would look further. I don't know much about gypsies, but I found another website that provides some interesting information on gypsy culture that might interest you (e.g. the paragraph ‘Eastern European Style Names’). The link is http://www.johncooke.com/name/gypsy.htm
Ute
1968-01-15
Chicago Tribune (IL)
Polanski
Sophie Polanski, nee Smigel, Jan. 12, beloved wife of John; dear mother of Edward [Helen], John Jr. [Elizabeth], Helen [Henry] Wisniewski, Sophie Budd, Josephine [Leonard] Kozlowski, and the late William and Anna; grandmother of 15; great-grandmother of two. Resting at Satala Funeral Home, 4744 S. Damen avenue. Funeral Tuesday, Jan. 16 at 9 a.m., to St. Michael's Slovak church. Interment Resurrection. Bi 7-9379.

Source: Chicago Tribune, 1968, Record Number: 19680115dn114.
1970-07-28
Chicago Tribune (IL)
Polanski
Helen Polanski, suddenly, July 26, 1970, beloved wife of Edward Polanski; loving mother of Beverly [Robert] Lewen and Deborah; dear sister of Ted Charles; also survived by brothers in law, sisters in law, nieces and nephews; daughter in law of John Polanski. Resting at Satala Funeral Home, 4744 S. Damen Av. Funeral Wednesday, July 29, at 8:30 a.m., to St. Mary Church. Interment Resurrection. Bi 7-9379.

Source: Chicago Tribune, 1970, Record Number: 19700728dn098.
Eric

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:27 pm      Post subject:

Hi Bill, it is interesting until now I hadn't heard anything of the Gorals until now!

I am researching my grandfather, Ludvik GIL, and his line of family in Poland.

According to his baptismal certificate, he was baptized in 1900, in the parish of Harklowa, just east of Nowy Targ. (His latin name is Ludovicus.) His father's name on the certificate is Bartholomaeus, I can't make out what his mother's name is.
His godfather's name is Michaël WOJEIK.
Godmother's name is very hard to see, possibly Antoreica Cubiak?

My dad says he was a cavalryman at the end of the First World War. We also have most of the pages of a Polish military service book. According to this book he was in an artillery regiment during the Russo-Polish war from 1918 to 1920. He remained in reserves until 1925.
He had a brother who went missing in action, but I'm not sure in which war.

He immigrated to Canada in 1927 and listed his father Bartlomiej Gil as his contact in Poland. His address is listed as: KNUROW. P.HARKLOWA. POW.NOWY TARG.

I've only just begun my research, as I have to ask my dad many more questions about Granddad and the family that remains in Poland. I think his family is Polish Goral?

EDIT* I apologize, I clicked accidentally. I want to say hello to all in this forum and site and thankyou for the wonderful information!
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:16 am      Post subject:

Eric wrote:
Hi Bill, it is interesting until now I hadn't heard anything of the Gorals until now!
(His latin name is Ludovicus.) His father's name on the certificate is Bartholomaeus, I can't make out what his mother's name is. His godfather's name is Michaël WOJEIK.
Godmother's name is very hard to see, possibly Antoreica Cubiak?
His father address is listed as: KNUROW. P.HARKLOWA. POW.NOWY TARG.
I think his family is Polish Goral?

Welcome Eric,

The parish priest always converts the given names to Latin. They are not used in every day life. So the names would be Lodewijk and Bartlomiej in Polish. Godmothers name may be Antonina which was very common. If you could scan that document I might be able to tell better. You may send it to my email address if you wish- [email protected] -I would love to see copies of your military records also.

Knurow is a small village on the other side of the river from the village of Harklowa and they are in the powiat (county) of Nowy Targ. (Polish: powiat nowotarski)

Yes they are very much Góral from Podhale. Smile see my maps (please click on "yes" to add another Góral member)

harklowa 2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  324.18 KB

harklowa 2.png

harklowa.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  280.38 KB

harklowa.png

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish Gorals - Highlanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Page 3 of 4

Jump to: