PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Witamy Górale!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

If you have Górale roots please answer our poll to see how many are here.
yes
98%
 98%  [ 50 ]
no
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 51

Author

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:49 pm      Post subject:

Hi Bill, I apologize for my lateness in reply, been a busy week at work!

I will definitely get some scans made of the documents for you to see. (I have a portrait of Grandad and two others in military uniform that I had scanned years ago. I will post it in the military portrait thread.)

I've made a little more progress in deciphering the names on the certificate by referring to other documents for names. The person who wrote it up didn't write the letter "n" very clearly, so it just looks like a large letter U, with loops on it's ends. (Hard to describe!)

His mother's section of the certificate reads: Anna filie Michaëlis Dyrczoń et Mariannae n. Koriot (I wonder, does the n. means the maiden name?)

The Godmother's name does indeed appear to be Antonina, but Grubiak appears to be the proper spelling of her last name. I think I said Cubiak earlier.

Once again, I'll try to get some scans as soon as possible.

Smile
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:18 pm      Post subject:

Eric, yes the n. is Latin nata...nee name or maiden name.
Send e-mail
vgondek

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:12 pm      Post subject: Szcawnica Wyzna; Bobowa, Rzeszow; Biadoliny Szlacheckie

Hello from USA !

I am trying to determine the culture and heritage of my paternal grandparents.

Familysearch.org records show my paternal grandfather Albert Gondek (1889) and his father Anton Gondek (1862) were both baptized in Szcawnica Wyzna, Szcawnica Wyzna, Krakow, Poland. My great great grandfather Sebastian Gondek was baptized (1823) in Bobowa, Bobowa, Rzeszow, Poland. Family lore states that they were Highlanders from Nowy Targ, from the Goral area of Poland (then Galicia). Would they be considered Podhale, or?

In addition, my paternal grandmother, Sofia Palka (1888) original record show she was baptized in Bresko, Galicia, Austria; Dembno Parish, Wojnicz Deanery, Tarnow Diocese, from the villiage of Biadoliny Szlacheckie. Would she also be considered Gorale? Podhale?

Thanks in advance.

Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:24 pm      Post subject:

Valerie, I am sorry but your relatives are too far north to be from Podhale. Tarnow and Rzeszow are around 100 miles NE of Podhale. See maps of area.

Map Podale to Tarnow-Rzeszow.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.32 KB
 Viewed:  15362 Time(s)

Map Podale to Tarnow-Rzeszow.jpg

mapa podhala.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  131.73 KB

mapa podhala.gif

map podhale.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.11 KB

map podhale.jpg

Send e-mail
vgondek

Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:33 pm      Post subject:

Bill Rushin wrote:
Valerie, I am sorry but your relatives are too far north to be from Podhale. Tarnow and Rzeszow are around 100 miles NE of Podhale. See maps of area.

Thanks, Bill! Your maps are very informative. Would you happen to know what tradition/folk costume people from Szcawnica Wyzna are known for? likewise for people from Bobowa and Biadoliny Szlacheckie? If not, would you be able to direct me to an appropriate resource? Thank you in advance

Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:04 am      Post subject:

Bill Rushin wrote:

Bill,
When I read the village name Szcawnica, I remembered a discussion about Szczawnica in the district of Nowy Targ. I can't seem to find it right now, but I saw an earlier post by Patia whose grandfather was from Szczawnica:

http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=712

It could be that Valerie's paternal grandfather Albert Gondek (1889) and his father Anton Gondek (1862) were both baptized in the village Szczawnica in Podhale and thus were considered 'Highlanders from Nowy Targ', as family lore stated, while earlier generations lived in the Rzeszow region (Valeries's great-great-grandfather Sebastian Gondek, who she wrote was baptized (1823) in Bobowa, Bobowa, Rzeszow, Poland.). What do you think?
Ute
vgondek

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:47 am      Post subject:

Ute wrote:
Bill Rushin wrote:

Bill,
When I read the village name Szcawnica, I remembered a discussion about Szczawnica in the district of Nowy Targ. I can't seem to find it right now, but I saw an earlier post by Patia whose grandfather was from Szczawnica:

http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=712

It could be that Valerie's paternal grandfather Albert Gondek (1889) and his father Anton Gondek (1862) were both baptized in the village Szczawnica in Podhale and thus were considered 'Highlanders from Nowy Targ', as family lore stated, while earlier generations lived in the Rzeszow region (Valeries's great-great-grandfather Sebastian Gondek, who she wrote was baptized (1823) in Bobowa, Bobowa, Rzeszow, Poland.). What do you think?
Ute

Dear Bill and Ute, Yes, the village name is Szczawnica Wyzna - sorry, my spelling mistake! thanks, Valerie

Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:00 pm      Post subject:

Ute, anything is possible but I was going on her statement "records show my paternal grandfather Albert Gondek (1889) and his father Anton Gondek (1862) were both baptized in Szcawnica Wyzna, Szcawnica Wyzna, Krakow, Poland".  And I like to trust records before family stories as you know. Smile But looking at your note and rechecking my map I see there is Szcawnica just on the other side of the Piennys and it might be considered Podhalian, let me double check with my cousin. And Valerie just admitted her mistake in the place name. So it proves 3 heads are better than one. Smile   Valerie, look at my last map posted above, you can see your little village on the top right area. It shown just outside of Podhale area. I'll send you another map when I locate it.
Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:52 am      Post subject:

Valerie and Bill,
I finally found the info on Szczawnica that I remembered and couldn't find yesterday. Zenon posted it here:

http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=2040

It includes a map showing Szczawnica Wyzna and Szczawnica Nizna:

http://www.szczawnica.eu/map.html

Valerie, since we are not 100% sure if this is indeed the village Szczawnica your paternal grandfather and his father came from -- do you have any records or any additional information on your grandfather and his father -- besides the info you found at Familysearch.org -- e.g. church marriage records, naturalization records, death records, dates of arrival in the US, etc. -- that may help us determine where exactly they came from?
vgondek

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:30 pm      Post subject:

Ute wrote:
Valerie and Bill,
I finally found the info on Szczawnica that I remembered and couldn't find yesterday. Zenon posted it here:

http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=2040

It includes a map showing Szczawnica Wyzna and Szczawnica Nizna:

http://www.szczawnica.eu/map.html

Valerie, since we are not 100% sure if this is indeed the village Szczawnica your paternal grandfather and his father came from -- do you have any records or any additional information on your grandfather and his father -- besides the info you found at Familysearch.org -- e.g. church marriage records, naturalization records, death records, dates of arrival in the US, etc. -- that may help us determine where exactly they came from?

Dear Ute and Bill - Yes, thank you so much for your time and assistance and awesome maps and links! I have copies of the following scanned originals:

*1*Albert’s WWI draft registration card – date and place of birth: “April 6, 1889 Sczawnica, Galicia, Poland” (signed Albert Gondek, 1917) via ancestry.com

*2*Albert’s WWII draft registration card – date and place of birth: “April 6, 1889 Szcrawnica Wyznia” (signed Albert J Gondek, 1942 ) via ancestry.com

*3*Albert and his father Anton’s entry in S S Bremen passenger record: “arrival date 23 May 1900; last residence: Szczwarnica; ethnicity: Galician” via ancestry.com

*4*Albert’s original marriage registration: date and place of baptism “6th … 1889 Szczawarnica” via Sobieski, Wi Catholic church secretary

*5*Albert and Anton’s baptism entry from Tarnow Diocese transcribed /translated records: event dates: 8 June 1862 and 6 April 1889”; event place (for both) “Szczawnica Wyźna, Szczawnica Wyźna, Kraków, Poland”, house number (for both): “102”. Note – I also have same type of record for several of Anton’s sisters and brothers, ranging from 1859 to 1878, with same event place and house number, also via familysearch.org

*6* Albert and Anton’s certified copies death certificates, but place of birth is listed only as “Poland”.

*7*The family lore that I mentioned in my first post indicates Nowy Targ as the birthplace and Szczawnica as the parish and priest as Fr John Olexik…my current research seems to indicate Szczawnica is the village and Nowy Targ the region of Galicia at that time? I have three scanned pages of the “family lore” which I used as the starting point in my research, authored by my late Uncle Rev Fr Joseph Gondek (1911-2011), which I tried to attach for your reference, but keep receiving error messages (I think I need to reduce their size).

I do appreciate your assistance – I am very keen to learn exactly where my grandfather and great grandfather were from to pass on to their descendants and to study more about their history, folklore, culture and heritage. Right now I am confused how records designate villages vs regions vs parishes, and do not know enough about the area to interpret the documents correctly. Many thanks!

Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:40 pm      Post subject:

Valerie,

Thanks for the information on your ancestors!

I just saw something else that I wanted to share with you -- Idez's, Jozef's and Patia's posts of 2011 that you will find here:

http://polishorigins.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4360&sid=474f9b4f8571d242f0a7ef63999402e4

You may want to contact them to see which information they have on Szczawnica that might be helpful in your further research.

You may have seen the article on Szczawnica Nizna and Wyzna at PGSA:

It says, among others: "Mountain people known as "Spiszcy Gorale" were Christians. They dressed in their goralskie costumes which were very colorful."

http://queenofthieves.tumblr.com/post/100932505231/womens-regional-costume-of-the-the-szczawnica

Ute
vgondek

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:39 pm      Post subject:

Ute wrote:
Valerie,

Thanks for the information on your ancestors!

I just saw something else that I wanted to share with you -- Idez's, Jozef's and Patia's posts of 2011 that you will find here:

http://polishorigins.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4360&sid=474f9b4f8571d242f0a7ef63999402e4

You may want to contact them to see which information they have on Szczawnica that might be helpful in your further research.

You may have seen the article on Szczawnica Nizna and Wyzna at PGSA:

It says, among others: "Mountain people known as "Spiszcy Gorale" were Christians. They dressed in their goralskie costumes which were very colorful."

http://queenofthieves.tumblr.com/post/100932505231/womens-regional-costume-of-the-the-szczawnica

Ute

Ute, thank you so much - the information and links are very helpful! much appreciated!

slovakiaorawa

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:49 am      Post subject:

Hi, everyone

I am not sure if I am Goral, but my ancestors have lived in Oravská Polhora (now Slovakia) since 1800´s. It is a village in slovak Orawa region, belonged to Hungarian Empire before WW1. My surname was written like Vorcsak, Worcsak, Wortsak etc back in 1800´s. According to Maria Theresa's Urbarium 1767 family Vorcsek lived in village Zubrzyca Dolna (Alsózubrica (ÁRVA), Hungary), which is located in Poland now but belonged to Hungary before WW1.
cherylmendel

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:58 pm      Post subject:

dl1949 wrote:
Hello,

My mother's family lived in the Podhale town of Waksmund, Poland. When she was 17, my mother left the town to settle in Chicago. Although my mother was an American citizen, born in Hastings, PA, she was the only one in her family to return to the United States. Her brother, sister and parents remained in Poland. The family left the United States years earlier to return to Poland. I was lucky enough that my mother past on the rich Gorale culture to me and my sister. I have inherited the pride and independence of my Gorale ancestors.

I am just curious about the last names of your family that is from Waksmund that moved to Hastings. My family did the same thing and I am trying to research that branch. Their last names were Kunka, Sral/Schall, Waksmundski and they lived in Hastings, PA as coal miners in the early 1900s. Some of them are buried at St. Bernard's cemetery in Hastings.
Kim K

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:03 am      Post subject:

cherylmendel wrote:

I am just curious about the last names of your family that is from Waksmund that moved to Hastings. My family did the same thing and I am trying to research that branch. Their last names were Kunka, Sral/Schall, Waksmundski and they lived in Hastings, PA as coal miners in the early 1900s. Some of them are buried at St. Bernard's cemetery in Hastings.

Actually, I have a US side question for those of you in PA. Are there any online resources for Polish community records in the area? I've tried to track a potential sibling + sibling-in-law for a ggparent from neighboring Ostrowsko who went to PA but come up empty. One may have even died in PA before 1925.

As for Waksmund, I think it was a part of Ostrowsko parish before 1871. The church duplicate book in Krakow for Waksmund as its own parish goes from 1871-1880. I don't know how best to search after 1880.

-Kim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish Gorals - Highlanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Page 4 of 4

Jump to: