PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:57 am      Post subject: Sheep's milk cheese making in Podhale

I would like to share an excerpt of an interesting article called 'Community Study of Bialy Dunajec' that addresses the nature of the Podhale village Bialy Dunajec in the early 1930s. Among other subjects, like e.g. flax processing, it describes sheep cheese making in the huts of the high pastures:

CHEESE MAKING. The making of sheeps' milk cheese is carried on during the summer months in the huts of the high pastures. At one of the halas two men look after the flock of 154 sheep and another man makes the cheeses.

The milk is left in a wooded tub about four days. The curd formed during this souring process is stirred from time to time with a wooden instrument. A ladleful of curd is removed, and the cheese maker takes sufficient to make a round ball, moulding and squeezing it into shape with his hands. It is then immersed in a copper cauldron, of shape and size of a large preserving pan, containing moderately hot water. It is suspended from a chain hung from a roof beam over a fire of wood on an open hearth. The smoke from this fire eventually passes through a hole in the gable end of the hut. The temperature of the water is regulated by lengthening or shortening the chain and careful stoking of the fire. Several balls of cheese are put into the cauldron taken out in turn, moulded and squeezed and put back again. Next a twig is passed through the ball and the processes repeated until the ball is of the desired consistency. A carved cheese mould of sycamore wood is pressed round the center of the cheese, the two halves held in position by a wooden band. The projecting ends are worked a little, then a small wooden peg with notched top is inserted in each of the ends. It is again immersed for a few minutes. Mould and pegs are put into the cauldron of water before use. The mould of cheese is removed from the water, the wooden shape carefully taken off and the ends of the cheese are moulded by hand into an elongated cone. The wooden pegs are removed, and after its final immersion in the hot water the cheese is put into a tub of cold water and left for four days. Next it is placed near one of the apertures in the hut wall to dry in a current of air. Finally, it is put on a wooden rack suspended from the roof and left to dry in the smoke of the wood fire for another four days. It is then ready for market, the price being 1.80 Zl. These cheeses will keep for an indefinite period.

Source: Community Study of Bialy Dunajec, Site and Plan, An excerpt from Polish Studies, p. 49 51, Edited by A. Davies, University of Leeds, London, Published by the Le Play Society, 1934.
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:13 pm      Post subject: Oscypek cheese

I think a lot of non Góral Polish members have never heard of our famous cheese call "oscypek".
Oscypek is a smoked cheese made of salted sheep milk exclusively in the Tatra Mountains region of Poland. The first mention of cheese production in the Tatra Mountains dates back to the 15th century, in a document from the village of Ochotnica in 1416. The first recorded recipe for oscypek was issued in 1748 in the Żywiec area. There is also a smaller form called redykolka, known as the 'younger sister' of oscypek.

See how it is made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSlEO6Q_KCY&feature=fvw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS28_MsRXBE&NR=1

oscypek pile.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  211.29 KB
 Viewed:  14570 Time(s)

oscypek pile.JPG

Send e-mail
goralka

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:56 pm      Post subject:

yummy! my favorite part is the butt end...only thing I have been able to find that is remotely comparable in American markets is Gouda
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:37 pm      Post subject:

Goralka- I have a friend who works in a Polish meat/deli in Chicago. I could ask if he could mail you some.
Send e-mail
goralka

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:14 pm      Post subject:

Dziekuje bardzo! That is SO VERY SWEET of you! I have to say though, that I drive into the SW Chicago area to visit my parents at least once a month and have easy access so I buy in bulk Wink There are like 4 or 5 Polish stores within a few miles of them. There is one somewhat near where I live currently, but the guy drives into Chicago every Tuesday to pick up his orders, I rather just go and get it myself. Ahhh, what great lengths a Polish girl will go to get some good Polish cheese.
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:21 am      Post subject:

The yummy did it. OK I had no idea how close you were to Chi-town. Well you probably know my friends place then-Joe & Frank's Market 7147 W Archer Ave (between Neva Ave & Illinois Route 43) Neighborhood: Garfield Ridge. Your lucky to have all the goodies close by. BTW, my cousin's went to AA Stagg HS and live in Hickory Hills.
Send e-mail
goralka

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:50 pm      Post subject:

That is so funny! We don't go to the Joe and Franks but I know exactly where it is by I55. I actually got my dog from Archer Puppies (closed now) that was kitty corner from there. For us, there are a few that are closer. My parents are in Burbank, so Hickory Hills is right next door Smile Huge Polish community there. I'm actually on the IL/WI border so it is 100 miles for me to get to their house but the drive is easy highway so I go in often.
brianminnie

Replies: 51

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:38 pm      Post subject: Górale cheesemaker photo essay

A short overview and 28 photographs of traditional Górale cheese makers: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2012/06/100_years_of_handmade_cheese.html
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:49 am      Post subject: Gorale Cheesemaker photo essay

Brian,

Thanks for posting these photos--they are wonderful.

I liked the Mold used on the Cheese-I've never seen anything like that!

MaryAnne
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:26 pm      Post subject: Re: Gorale Cheesemaker photo essay

MDuplaga wrote:
Brian, Thanks for posting these photos--they are wonderful.

I liked the Mold used on the Cheese-I've never seen anything like that! MaryAnne

MaryAnne, scroll further down in this forum to "Sheep's milk cheese making in Podhale" there is an article of how it is made and pics of the molded smoked cheese. I have included some links also and you can watch a video of it being made.

Bill
Send e-mail
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:15 am      Post subject: Goral Cheesemaker photo essay

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the two other references to the cheesemaking videos--They are interesting to watch. It looks so peaceful in those beautiful mountains! There were so many other videos of the region, so I enjoy all that I watched.

thanks,
MaryAnne
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:00 pm      Post subject:

Glad you enjoyed it. I moved all of these new posts to here to make it easier to follow this cheesy subject. Smile
Send e-mail
Georgia

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:16 pm      Post subject:

Thanks, Bill!

I love oscypek! At the market in Zakopane they sell several varieties (low sodium, smoked, not smoked...) and I brought some home.
At one restaurant in Krakow (Chlopiec Jadlo) they serve it as an appetizer. Fried to a golden color and served with a strawberry/cranberry mixture --- absolutely delicious.

Visit Joe and Frank's every time we're in the neighborhood.
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:37 am      Post subject:

Yummy Oscypek from Maria.

oscypek yum.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.2 KB
 Viewed:  14575 Time(s)

oscypek yum.jpg

Send e-mail
SSA

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:39 am      Post subject: Cheese Molds

I've been trying to research the wooden molds used to make Polish cheese, specifically Oscypek. I believe I have an Oscypek mold that was handed down to me several years ago. As far as I can date it back, it might have been my 2nd Great Grandmother's.

I've heard stories of the cheeses and sausages my Grandfather would make. He was well known for a salty cheese made with sheep's milk - I've been told it was much like queso fresco. Any idea what kind of Polish cheese this might be?

I'm including a picture of the molds. If anyone has any information/history to share on the molds, the information would be greatly appreciated.

Pap's Cheese Molds.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.89 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Pap's Cheese Molds.jpg

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish Gorals - Highlanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: