PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:33 pm      Post subject: Searching for information on Gacki or Denisczcuk family

Hello, I am looking for information on my husband's grandparents. Peter or Petrus Gacki was born 06 Feb 1890 in Galicia and immigrated to the US. He had a common-law marriage to Mary or Maria Krupinska and lived between St. Louis, MO and Chicago, IL. He died on 24 Aug 1966.

John (Joannes) Deniszczuk was born in Poland 10 Nov 1888. His first wife Bronislas Pardo was also born in Poland. We do not know when or where. His second wife, Sadie Makowska was also born in Poland on 04 Dec 1901. It has been told that she immigrated to the US to marry John after his first wife died.

Any information or guidance would be appreciated.

Sharon
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:05 pm      Post subject: Re: Searching for information on Gacki or Denisczcuk family

mockingbird wrote:
Hello, I am looking for information on my husband's grandparents. Peter or Petrus Gacki was born 06 Feb 1890 in Galicia and immigrated to the US. He had a common-law marriage to Mary or Maria Krupinska and lived between St. Louis, MO and Chicago, IL. He died on 24 Aug 1966.

John (Joannes) Deniszczuk was born in Poland 10 Nov 1888. His first wife Bronislas Pardo was also born in Poland. We do not know when or where. His second wife, Sadie Makowska was also born in Poland on 04 Dec 1901. It has been told that she immigrated to the US to marry John after his first wife died.

Any information or guidance would be appreciated.

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Some of the forms of the given names you listed must have come from Catholic Church records since they are the Latin forms of vernacular given names. The individuals were not known by the Latin forms in daily life. Here are the Latin forms of names you listed followed by the Polish versions and the English versions: Petrus = Piotr = Peter; Joannes = Jan = John; Bronislava (also spelled Bronislaa) = Bronisława = Bronislava; Maria = Marya or Maria = Marie/Mary.
Sadie is an English given name which is not the translation of any Latin or Polish name. Sometimes individuals with Polish given names for which there is no good English equivalent just picked a name they liked and used it. My maternal grandmother was Bronisława but she decided to call herself Bernice in English. Sometimes her sisters would call her Bertha, which she hated. The bottom line is that neither Bernice nor Bertha have anything to do with her actual given name. I wouldn’t try to guess what was Sadie’s actual birth name.

If the Latin forms you have come from Catholic Church Certificates that could be a good starting point for further research. The Certificate itself is merely an extract from a Baptism or Marriage Register. Usually there is more info in the actual register than is found in the certificate. The real value of a certificate is that it gives you the name of the parish church where the event took place. If the research gods smile on you and you can get the parish to provide you with a photo copy of the entry in the register, often doors open for further research.

If you’ve not used the US Federal Census returns, it would be worth your while to use them to point you in good directions. There are returns for the Deniszczuk family for 1930 & 1940. Those returns indicate that John immigrated in 1907 and was naturalized and that Sadie immigrated in 1923 and also was naturalized. Obtaining the naturalization papers could also provide valuable information.

Family Search connects you to Billion Graves which has images of the grave markers for John, Bronisława and Sadie, together with members of the Makowski family (cf. Attachments). Based on the age of Bronisława and the photo on the marker, she most likely married John in the USA. (Pardo is not really a Polish surname. A similar surname which is found in Poland is Parda.)

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

7874269.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  562.9 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

7874269.jpg

7874267.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  544.38 KB

7874267.jpg

7874260.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  457.11 KB

7874260.jpg

sheep17
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 123

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:10 am      Post subject: the name "Sadie"

My mother b. 1895 ill, and her cousin. b. 1893 were both baptized "Prakseda" from St. Praxedes, Praxeda in English. In the family, cousin Praxeda's name was shortened to "Sadie". May I suggest that Sharon look for
a possible 'Prakseda' Makowska?
sheep17
mockingbird

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:33 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for the information. We are just beginning the search and your information is most helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: