PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:40 pm      Post subject:

What are the origins of the family name Karkutz, Karkut and Kargut? These names ere found in Greek Catholic Church records in Austrian Poland especially Eastern Galicia.

Marnie
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:30 am      Post subject:

Marnie,

Karkut is from Polish kark, “nape of the neck” or archaic and dialect karkać, “to cluck, croak”

In 2002 there were 982 individuals using the surname Karkut living in Poland. Detailed map of the surname distribution can be found here: https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Karkut.

There were only 16 people bearing the surname Kargut, all living in Janów Lubelski - see the map: https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Kargut.

Listen how your surname is pronounced in Polish (click on the “Listen” button): https://translate.google.com/#pl/en/Karkut and https://translate.google.com/#pl/en/Kargut

And here in PolishOrigins Surnames Databaseyou will find other PolishOrigins members interested in Karkut surname: http://polishorigins.com/surnames/search/string/Karkut .

Sources
Visit poster's website
Marnie

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:14 pm      Post subject:

Thank you Aga. this is most helpful. Another related question: These ancestors were fist using the surname Karkutz in late 1700's then one generations this line changed to Karkut then two more generations later to Kargut.
One family of Kargut I met in Potok Wielke said the grandfather changed from Karkut to Kargut "because Kargut was the original name". The earliest Kargut/Karkut/Karkutz I have found is a Jakob Jaszko Karkutz born before 1776, died Aug.18 1847. He was from the village Dziewiȩcierz then moved into the German colony next door of Einsingen. I have not been able to find earlier records. The Polish State Archive in Warsaw does not have these records staing that they were either destroyed in the bombing in 1939 of the city hall where records were kept orf, were eaten by bookworms.I would really like to know more information further back as we have recently discovered by DNA analysis that there is a Jewish heritage involved
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:37 am      Post subject:

Marnie,

I sent your question to our genealogy researchers (I do not have enough knowledge and experience to help you). We will check if we could help you somehow in this case.
Visit poster's website
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:30 am      Post subject:

Marnie,

In Dziewięcierz there was only 106 Roman Catholics and 1497 Greek Catholics (see: http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_II/291). Do you know what
religion were your ancestors? This is necessary to determine in which archive to look for the information.

If they were Roman Catholic their parish was in Potylicz, there are not much records in Poland, it is possible that some more are available in Ukraine.

If they were Greek Catholic their parish was in Dziewięcierz, and there are no records in Poland available (maybe there will be some records in Lviv archives).

Please write us which religion and what date frames are you interested in. We will try to find some more information for you.
Visit poster's website
Marnie

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:57 pm      Post subject:

Aga, the religion practiced was Greek Catholic and records are there from early 1800's. I am interested in records from 1750 to 1820. Any help would be appreciated.

Marnie
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:07 am      Post subject:

Marnie,

I asked our genealogists to have a look at your case, but in Galicia the obligation to run parish registers, which were also civil registration records, was from 1782. In some larger parishes the books were created earlier, but there is a good chance that the records for Einsingen/Dziewięćrz older than 1782 just do not exist.

The case is complex and I am afraid that we are not able to give you a quick advise on that...
Visit poster's website
Marnie

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:09 pm      Post subject: Records for Dziewiȩcierz/Einsingen/Lemberg(Lwow)

Would it be worthwhile then to check these records from 1782 to 1820? How could that be done?
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:15 am      Post subject:

Marnie,

Those records might be available in the State Archives in Lviv: http://www.archives.gov.ua/Eng/Archives/ca04.php
You can try contacting them.

Currently we have a lot if inquiries and we conduct research only for people planning to come and do genealogy tour with PolishOrigins. So, if you are interested in arriving in Poland, we can do the on spot research in Dziewięcierz or try the Greek Catholic Diocese Archive n Przemyśl or if necessary in Lviv.

Aga
Visit poster's website
Marnie

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:01 pm      Post subject: Dziewięcierz/Einsingen GC and RC records.

Originally the family was Greek Catholic but did switch to R.C. later.
I spent 3 weeks on 3 different trips to Poland, the last two to do genealogical research since I had more ideas where to search. I went to Przemyśl where they said the records would be there but couldn't be found. In Lviv they did have records since early 1800's for Dziewiȩcierz and Einsingen.but not prior. Warsaw said there records pre 1800 were destroyed during WW! (the City Hall where records were kept was bombed during WW1). I did not go to Potylicz but had searched their records via the LDS. I would be willing to hire a genealogist to get these records rather than do another trip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: