PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 21

Post Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:18 am      Post subject: Markowa--Inglot, Flejszar, Bytnar, Szajer, Kud, Cyran, etc.

I am interested in the names of Inglot, Flejszar, Bytnar, Szajer, Kud, Kielar, and Cyran of Markowa, county Lancut, state Podkarpackie. There is a family plot with lots of history and names such as these.

I would like to contact, or see photographs, or obtain information of any ancestors or current relatives with these names. The church is Sw. Dorota and the cemetery is nearby.

Jozef Kud and his brother, Stanislaw Kud, were cousins who visited with my parents and aunts and uncles in Michigan some years ago. Jozef's grandparents were Jan and Aniela Kud.

My dad's grandfather was Sebastian Inglot, whose first wife was Mary Bytnar, the parents of Wojciech Inglot.

Last edited by frostyrose33 on Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:40 am      Post subject:

Markowa and the area is a very interesting region. During 14th-17th century (1300-1600s) this area was settled by group of people called Walddeutsche or Taubdeutsche, in Polish: Głuchoniemcy meaning "speechless Geman people", mainly of German origins. The territory of present-day Sanockie Pits, was a region which was previously only sparsely inhabited because the land was difficult to farm.

Most of the names you are listing implies that these people were descendants of the "Głuchoniemcy". See more in wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walddeutsche or in Polish version, where there are the surnames and places settled by these people listed: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C5%82uchoniemcy (translated by google translate: http://goo.gl/HiOUr ).
Send e-mail
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:32 pm      Post subject:

Map of the area - Click on image for larger view

Markowa .png
 Description:
 Filesize:  301.8 KB
 Viewed:  26648 Time(s)

Markowa .png

Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:35 pm      Post subject:

The history of Gimna Markowa, from their website at: http://www.markowa.pl/

Below is the translated version, thanks to Google Translator:

The lands lying along the middle reaches of the channel in the Middle Ages Wislok became the territory covered by wczesnosłowiańskim settlements. Based on current knowledge of historians of colonization is difficult to precisely determine the severity of share settlement and to determine the exact ethnicity of the population. According to the rallies probable opinion of researchers already in the early second millennium, a wide belt of loess lands between Rzeszów and Przeworsk became disputed area of influence of Polish and Russian princes. Zones of influence have undergone in recent decades, significant shifts that eventually lead to the thirteenth century to establish a boundary line on Wisłoku.

Unquestionable advantage of these territories by age, there were favorable position at the crossroads of the medieval trade routes running in the meridional line from Sandomierz by the Carpathian Basin in Hungary and along the direction parallel from Krakow to Kiev. The favorable climate in the immediate vicinity of the Sandomierz Basin also affect the development of agricultural activities, with the skilful management of resources of those areas. Understandably, therefore, became the pursuit of Casimir the Great, to ensure the economic development of these lands after they joined circa 1340 to the Crown. Age wilderness stretching years ago in what is now Markowa and neighboring villages gave way to systematically cleared the hands of hundreds of settlers were brought in this period of Upper Saxony, Lusatia and Lower Silesia. With this new power, the newly acquired lands of coming close, new forms of management and a different legal order.

The earliest, documented Markenhof is the brand name and as such is mentioned in the letter dated Bishop Demetrios, preserved in the Diocesan Archives Przemysl. The document dates from 1384. Type of rural settlement has been described as "Waldhuffendorf", which means village forest fiefs. Markov, like other villages in the vicinity of the chain was characterized by a system of primary settlements and nadziałami (hides) in the case Markowa expressing a number of 98th In relation to the surrounding areas, Markov stood out from the beginning of a large number of population and households. By the fifteenth century to the seventeenth changed the owners of the village from the Pilecki Stadnicki, Korniakt to finally get Lyubomirski.

In a great way to document the social and economic relations book of the village court, which the original contains 912 pages written in German and Polish is in the Central Historical Archives of Ukraine in Lviv, in the former building Ossolineum. This unique in terms of size and content of the monument in the best way proves gromadzkim local government and is the basis for the analysis of the spatial relations of property and life of rural residents in the years 1591 to 1777.

Half of the seventeenth century set a turning point in shaping the image of cultural Markowa. The current language of German colonists negated behaving mainly as an official language, although even meet until now foreign-sounding words in speech Markowian. Assimilation proceeds with the people of Slavic origin, perdition is aware of foreign origin. The changes referred to proceed more quickly in the surrounding villages. In Markowa in the mid-twentieth century has had an almost 70-percent interest indicating the origin of the names associated with the colonization of the West.

Age of the eighteenth and nineteenth noted no significant events for the village economic or social policy. Hamlet, like any other in the former Austrian partition fell into poverty, victimized pańszczyźnianymi the duties, pests, destroyed by disasters. Political changes in the early twentieth century led to an immediate increase in activity Markov society, finding expression in the time of the Volunteer Fire Brigade, Stefczyka Fund, Agricultural Circle whether the country's first Health Cooperative. Activity of the society there is also the field of culture - there are excellent, nationally known amateur theater, choir, brass band Fire Brigade. However cherishes the traditions of the fathers, mindful of the rich past, as today, the best proof is created in the 80's open-air museum - the Museum of Rural Markov.

author: Jacek Tejchma

Last edited by Shellie on Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
frostyrose33

Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:08 pm      Post subject:

In reading my original post, I see that a correction needs to be made. Jozef Kud and Stanislaw Kud's grandparents were Jan and Aniela Cyran. I'm puzzled as to their cousin relationship with my father, Edward Inglat (b. 1928), whose father was Wojciech Inglot (b. 1896; He changed the family name to Inglat in the U.S.) married to Zofia Flejszar, and the grandfather was Sobestyan Inglot (b. 1870) and grandmother, Mary Bytnar. I was hoping to make a connection between the Cyran, Flejszar, Inglot, and Kud families, especially. There is a family cemetery not far from St. Dorota church where Zofia's parents, Andrzej Flejszar and Mary Szajer, and Jozef's grandparents were buried.

I have been trying to learn the history of the area. My father acknowledged the Walddeutsche German colony settlements, but was told by his father that the Inglot name is of Swedish origin, from the invasion and battles there around 1650. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deluge_(history). I am not so sure that my father was correct. While we may have some Swedish, the predominance of Gluchoniemy in the descendants of Markowa seems very clear. Thank you Zenon, for your reply. It's all very fascinating.

Additionally, there is a memorial plaque with some of the family names listed. http://www.riesenbach.com/Sep25-00/html/5MarkowaMemorial.htm
in tribute to the Ulma family and 8 other Markowans who perished at the hands of the Nazis, as told by Mr. Reisenbach at this website: http://www.riesenbach.com/riesenbachstory.html

This plaque is on an administrative building in Markowa, on the land where Zofia Flejszar was raised as a child in a thatched roof house. The house was torn down, and the administrative building was built there. There is a similar home, which has been moved to the Museum of Markowa. The last resident in this home was Maria Inglot. I'm not sure of my relationship to her, except in name only.

Other family names to include: More distant relationships, such as cousins, aunts and uncles with the names Tejchma, Balawejder, Bar, and Michnar.
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:05 am      Post subject:

Hello frostyrose33. I'm not sure if the birth date of Wojciech Inglot is valid. I have access to some birth certificates of pple born in Markowa, and i dont see Wojciech name at that year. Instead there is record of Josephine born 1896. She (mostly chance its female) has a father named Sebastian Inglot, son of Tadeusz(?) and Salomea Fołta. Mother of Josephine is Marianna (Mary) Bytnar, the daughter of Szymon and Salomea(?) Balawejder. The name 'Sebastian' is correct polish spelling.
You may check again that date, but it might be mistake in the document too. If You provide any dates between 1890-1900, im able to find it. Regards.

PS: my very first post here, hello all.
frostyrose33

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:03 am      Post subject:

sirdan wrote:
Hello frostyrose33. I'm not sure if the birth date of Wojciech Inglot is valid. I have access to some birth certificates of pple born in Markowa, and i dont see Wojciech name at that year. Instead there is record of Josephine born 1896. She (mostly chance its female) has a father named Sebastian Inglot, son of Tadeusz(?) and Salomea Fołta. Mother of Josephine is Marianna (Mary) Bytnar, the daughter of Szymon and Salomea(?) Balawejder. The name 'Sebastian' is correct polish spelling.
You may check again that date, but it might be mistake in the document too. If You provide any dates between 1890-1900, im able to find it. Regards.

PS: my very first post here, hello all.

Good morning, Sirdan. It was a pleasure to read your post!! You found my family, and you're right about Wojciech's birthdate being incorrect. I have since discovered his passport, obituary, and headstone, and the date of birth is April 16, 1894. His marriage record lists his parents as Sebastian Inglot and Mary Bytnar.

Josephine is the only other member of the family, besides Wojciech, to emigrate to the U.S, that I know of. Her marriage record also lists her parents as Sebastian Inglot and Mary Bytnar. Are you looking at birth or baptismal certificates, I wonder? Does the record for Josephine show a month and date for her birth?

From old letters, I have learned of another brother, Jakub, and two sisters, Aniela Inglot Cyran and Dorota Inglot Szylar. Wojciech's obituary mentions two other sisters, but I don't know their names. I also do not know the years when these siblings were born. They did not emigrate and remained in Poland. From the old letters, I think that Aniela was married to Jan/John Cyran and Dorota was married to Antoni Szylar, and Dorota had a daughter Genowefa, and a son Jan.

I very much appreciate the record about Josephine. I wrote in Polish to St. Dorota's Church in Markowa last June, and again, this past December, asking for baptismal records for Wojciech Inglot and his wife, Sophia Flejszar, but have not received a reply. Anything more that you can find, would be great! Thank you, Roseanne
frostyrose33

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:29 am      Post subject:

SirDan,

One more thought is that if records were written in Latin by the priest, Wojciech's first name may have been listed as Adalbertus.

Roseanne
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:26 pm      Post subject:

Hi again Roseanne.
I found Wojciech in documents, with day of birth 15 but the certificates written in Markowa seems not in strict order for me, not best mantained. Anyway if you want a copy of the records, i may send it by a email, just give me one. You just have to take a simply Latin course to read them Wink It's not that hard to learn words, though. I have not parish records, i have Registry Office birth/marriage/death certificates of period of time given earlier. For the other family members i will look another time. Any date of birth, marriage or death would be helpful to find them.
Regarding writing to church in Markowa, dunno why you didn't get a reply, it's not a work of priest to find a old records anyway, the best way is to arrange things in person i think.
frostyrose33

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:27 pm      Post subject:

Sirdan, I sent you a private message with my email address. Roseanne
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:24 am      Post subject:

Greetings to all,

I see familiar names here!

My Grand Father from my Mom side was Jozef Kielar, born 19.01.1884 in Markowa, deceased 19.10.1938 in Przemysl.
Jozef Kielar and his wife Katarzyna leaved in Przemysl and had 5 children: Kazimierz Jan, Maria Olga, Jadwiga Zofia, Stanislawa Helena and Adam Ambrozy.
Jozef Kielar was train driver at PKP (kierownik pociagu in Polish).

Jozef Kielar was a son of Martin Kielar and Anna Kluz (or Klus) from Markowa. According to old oral record of one of my Aunts, Martin and Anna had 5 children: Stanislaw, Jozef, Antoni, Zofia, Franciszek.

I am looking for Markowa family, from Martin Kielar and Anna Kluz, their children, but also their parents. According to Jozef birth date, we can estimate they were born circa 1850-60.

Do you know if Polish records from Markowa are available on line?

I leave in Paris area, since 2005 I used to travel to Poland once a year for All Saints, to Warsaw (my parents grave at Antoninow), and to Przemysl (Jozef and Katarzyna Kielar, and 2 of their daughters). The grave of the Jozef's elder son is in New Jersey, the youngest one in Szczecin.

Kind regards,
Elzbieta
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:27 am      Post subject:

Hi Elżbieta, nice to hear somebody else looking in same area and for same Surnames. I am interested at finding Kluz family too.
I put hands on parish records (borns, deaths, marr.) from the period of 1890-1900, so i have copy of it and im able to search it. If You just could give me more specific dates, that would be lot of easier to me to identificate.
Based on my research, i see no connection with your Kluz family right now, but im expecting to obtain some new interesting information in short time. That can change situation.

There are no records of Markowa available online, i have copies of records from the State Archives in Rzeszów. Rest of records are in church in Markowa and in Registry Office.
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:00 am      Post subject:

Hi Sirdan,

Thank you very much for your answer.

The usual methodology in France, when you try to put together your genealogy tree, is to go backward. We were able to get to 1700’s from my husband side, with the help of open archives online (everything at least 100 years old), and free copies one can get (provided you show your record). I wish I can find the correct method (i.e. not to give up because things are too slow and too complicated) to get Polish roots as well.

I have two original Latin “Testimonium ortus and baptismi” certificates for my Mom and her younger sister, both from Przemysl Zasanie:
Diocesis: Przemysl
Decanatus: Przemysl
Parochia: Przemysl
Respublica: Polonia
Palatinatus: Lwow
Districtus; Przemysl

The record of younger sister states (I am not copying everything):
tomo VIII pag. 431 num. ser. 16 sequentia reperiri: ( -> that would be the book of records ?)
Dies nativias 31 V 1924
Locus nativitatis: Przemysl-Grunwaldzka
Dies baptismi 1 / 2 1925
Minister baptismi R.D. Fr. Niemczyk
Religio baptisati romano-catholica
Obstr. Paulina Majewska ( -> name of obstetrician ? medical doctor who assisted ?)

The important part is in Parentes:
Josephus Kielar ductor machinae, filius Martini et Mariae Kluz, conj.
and Patrini (rodzice chrzestni) columns:
Lewczak Josephus, architect
Klinger Theresa, uxor Michaelis ( -> wife of Michal)

In my Mom, the records are:
tomo VIII pag. 127 num. ser. 96 sequentia reperiri:
Dies nativias 26 V 1919
Dies baptismi 13 / 7 1919
Minister baptismi R.D. V. Krzak
Obstr. Paulina Majewska ( -> name of obstetrician ? medical doctor who assisted ?)

Josephus Kielar operarius, filius Martini et Annae Klus

I am quite sure the correct first name is Anna Kluz (I suspect a simple typo with the first name of the grand mother on his wife side, which is Mariae, correctly written on both).

The dates of birth and death of Jozef are on the grave of my Grand Parents in Przemysl, quite old.

My search would be:
1. Get a copy of birth or baptism certificate of Jozef Kielar, born 19.01.1884 in Markowa. On that document we should have names of his parents with filiation and the date of marriage. Also the reference to the book of records.
2. Follow up upwards, with Marcin Kielar and Anna Kluz.

Do you think I should call the church in Markowa and ask? Is Registry Office at Gmina (polish name Stan Cywilny ?)?

I found extremely precious the document about Albigowa, the village which is one-hour pedestrian distance to Markowa (Google Maps is our friend)
http://www.jerzyulman.ccjidp.eu/Monografia/monografia_Albigowej_Tadeusz_Ulman.pdf

Elzbieta
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:33 am      Post subject:

Elzbieta Porteneuve wrote:
Hi Sirdan,

Thank you very much for your answer.

The usual methodology in France, when you try to put together your genealogy tree, is to go backward. We were able to get to 1700’s from my husband side, with the help of open archives online (everything at least 100 years old), and free copies one can get (provided you show your record). I wish I can find the correct method (i.e. not to give up because things are too slow and too complicated) to get Polish roots as well.

I have two original Latin “Testimonium ortus and baptismi” certificates for my Mom and her younger sister, both from Przemysl Zasanie:
I am quite sure the correct first name is Anna Kluz (I suspect a simple typo with the first name of the grand mother on his wife side, which is Mariae, correctly written on both).
Well, may i ask how sure You are that Martinus' wife is Anna? Cause i found track in my records about birth of Fanciscus 1898 and Sofia 1894 (and her twin bro Joannes died 11 months after birth) that has parents: Martinus Kielar and Maria Kluz. Martinus parents would be Joannes Kielar and Suzannane Szpilma. Marie Kluz parents would be Joannes Kluz and Mariae Szylar. What You think about that?

Quote:
My search would be:
1. Get a copy of birth or baptism certificate of Jozef Kielar, born 19.01.1884 in Markowa. On that document we should have names of his parents with filiation and the date of marriage. Also the reference to the book of records.
2. Follow up upwards, with Marcin Kielar and Anna Kluz.
Its correct way of research, the issue is in records acces and dates Wink

Quote:
Do you think I should call the church in Markowa and ask? Is Registry Office at Gmina (polish name Stan Cywilny ?)?
Priest in church should have older records, while Registry Office (yes it's Urząd stanu cywilnego) possess newer ones, choose for Yourself.

Quote:
I found extremely precious the document about Albigowa, the village which is one-hour pedestrian distance to Markowa (Google Maps is our friend)
http://www.jerzyulman.ccjidp.eu/Monografia/monografia_Albigowej_Tadeusz_Ulman.pdf
Yes, it's precious, but there are valuable books about Markowa already written. Like - Józef Półćwiartek: "Wieś Markowa w okresie systemu pańszczyźnianego" or Wojciech Blajer, Jacek Tejchma: "Markowa - sześć wieków tradycji: z dziejów społeczeństwa i kultury"
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:12 pm      Post subject:

Sirdan you are correct asking. I cannot discriminate between Annae (my Mom's certificate) and Mariae (her younger sister). The names you gave for Kielar side fit the whole record I had ! Mariae non Annae.

I did not have any name for Kluz side, and am wholeheartedly indebted for that record. I cannot believe I have something.

Could you share those records with me?

Does it mean we have somme common ancestry?

Elzbieta

Quote:

Well, may i ask how sure You are that Martinus' wife is Anna? Cause i found track in my records about birth of Fanciscus 1898 and Sofia 1894 (and her twin bro Joannes died 11 months after birth) that has parents: Martinus Kielar and Maria Kluz. Martinus parents would be Joannes Kielar and Suzannane Szpilma. Marie Kluz parents would be Joannes Kluz and Mariae Szylar. What You think about that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Page 1 of 6

Jump to: