PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:38 am      Post subject: Josephine Balawejder

I am interested in relatives to Josephine balawejder mentioned in post. Josephine was my grandma and immigrated to the US from Poland. Her married name was Shotkowski and she resides in South Bend, Indiana. I have been trying to track my grandma and grandpa’s heritage line in Poland with no success. My grandfather was born in Austria and immigrated also to the US. Thanks for any help. Would love to meet relatives on my grandma and grandpa’s side of the family.
Send e-mail
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:59 pm      Post subject: Re: Josephine Balawejder

sjordan1113 wrote:
I am interested in relatives to Josephine balawejder mentioned in post. Josephine was my grandma and immigrated to the US from Poland. Her married name was Shotkowski and she resides in South Bend, Indiana. I have been trying to track my grandma and grandpa’s heritage line in Poland with no success. My grandfather was born in Austria and immigrated also to the US. Thanks for any help. Would love to meet relatives on my grandma and grandpa’s side of the family.
Hello in the New Year!
Im glad i can help You with your relatives! I found family you described having Helen and Edward as children. IF those are yours then:
Josephine Mary Balawejder came to USA, in 1930. Her birth place was written as Makowo. Since we talk about specific surname, popular at Markowa, we can take into consideration that Makowo could be malformed Markowa, especially by some Canadian Officer not familiar with Polish naming. She must have marrried George at somewhere 1931 cause Helen was born in 1932
George was still single on 1930 census. Naturalized in 1941. He came to USA at around 1913. According to military documents, he may come from Jabłonków (Jablunkov). I didnt find his immigration record yet, but there are people named Szotkowski in Jablunkow living today.

I dont know exactly what info You have and if that match what was written above. Please reply what You think and if you need some more.

Last edited by sirdan on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
sjordan1113

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:10 pm      Post subject:

Happy New Year. Yes my grandma, Josephine Mary Balawejder, married my grandpa in the US, George Anthony Szotkowski (spelled Shotkowski in New York at Ellis island) when he arrived in the US. George’s birth date is 3/12/1892. I would be interested if/any relatives of grandma or grandpa’s are living in Poland. They both died when I was a child and their son, my father Edward, died when I was 14. His sister Helen died about a year ago so I have no one who has any history/heritage I can derive from living relatives. Josephine’s birth date was 2/19/1905. I truly appreciate any help/info you can supply. Thank you.
Send e-mail
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:44 pm      Post subject:

OK. Thanks for confirmation!

I looked for online parish records of Jablunkov, there is a death records book up to 1937y, wonder if we could find parents of George somewhere. Do you happen to know his parents names?
Unfortunately, online records end on 1900 for Markowa.

I mention online records because it would be hard fo find living relatives without tracing of records of Your Grandparents first. I will look for some other places though.
sjordan1113

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:08 pm      Post subject:

I will see if I can locate his parents names. Thank you for all your help.
Send e-mail
sjordan1113

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:15 pm      Post subject:

I was able like locate my grandpa George shotkowski’ brother’s immigration record. His brother, John Shotkowski, immigrated to US on 9/9/13 and their father’s name was johan Shotkowski from mostly, jablankow. Don’t know if that will help. Thanks
Send e-mail
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:59 pm      Post subject:

Hello again, of course it helps. We have another confirmation that it is about Jablonków.

Here is mentioned death record book: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9Z5-TZWD?i=2&cc=1804263&cat=2171638 It need heuristic search for Jan/Johan Szatkowski/Szotkowski death and we have here over 200 pages. I am in my flat now with slow internet connection and cannot get through all pages right now.

How about Josephine's parents?
sjordan1113

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:51 pm      Post subject: Josephine

Hi-

I did some additional research and found my grandma was from Makowo (sp?). Her birth date was 2.19.1905 and I have her dad’s name was Michael Balawejder. I can’t locate her mom’s name yet. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks so much for your help. Sorry about your slow connection...that is frustrating ????

Susie Jordan
Send e-mail
looking for clues
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 122

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:55 am      Post subject:

Hi Susie,
If your grandparents were Catholic, do you know the parish where your grandparents were married or the parish where they were buried? Catholic marriage records normally have parent's names and place or parish of birth. Death records would also have parent's names too. If you know the city but not the parish, maybe somebody here can suggest a parish.

Diane
sjordan1113

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:32 pm      Post subject: Catholic

My grandparents were indeed Catholic. I was told their marriage was arranged by families in Poland. Josephine was sent to the US to marry George Shotkowski. I haven’t located records on Josephine/George’s marriage yet. Josephine was from Markowo according to immigration record and George from Jablunkova. Josephine’s death record only states dads name as Michael Balawejder and mother’s name was left blank on record. I am going to get with my mom to see if she has any paperwork on them she may have. Thanks
Send e-mail
looking for clues
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 122

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:42 pm      Post subject:

It looks like this is the census record that Sirdan found for your grandfather George Shotkowski https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X4BD-9XL It shows he was 38 years old and owned a home on Douglas Road in Clay Township in St. Joseph County, Indiana. That location may be part of the current South Bend, since part of Douglas Road is in the city. If the Douglas Road home remained the family home, the parish may have remained the same.

Note, to view familyserarch.org records you need to sign in, but it is free.
sjordan1113

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:09 pm      Post subject:

Yes that was their home in South Bend. The property actually backed up to Notre Dame University. When my grandparents passed the property was left to the Catholic nuns as a home for them. Thanks for the info. I will dig into the parish records.
Send e-mail
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:22 pm      Post subject:

sjordan1113 wrote:
I was able like locate my grandpa George shotkowski’ brother’s immigration record. His brother, John Shotkowski, immigrated to US on 9/9/13 and their father’s name was johan Shotkowski from mostly, jablankow. Don’t know if that will help. Thanks
Hello, What You mean by mostly, jablanków? Is that actually Mosty village near Jablunkov?

I am asking because there are many Szotkowskis from Mosty able to find over the internet, including Czech archives here http://digi.archives.cz/da/SearchBean.action?searchType=basic just type o the top: jablunkov or mosty u jablunkova. I almost sure Your relatives are from this place. I will also be interested in genealogy in that area Śląsk Cieszyński because it looks like its connected somehow with germans settlers in Markowa area too Smile

Anyway, there are some people on ellisisland coming from Mosty, including Scholkowski. Also Schottkowski would be german or silesian form of Szotkowski.

Good point from looking from clues. If You find as many info about Granparents, then its possible to retrieve from metrical books their family in Jablonków, like their sister or brothers, their sons or daughters. It will be easier to connect and find blood relatives living today
sjordan1113

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:41 pm      Post subject: mostly, jablanków

Hi sir Dan-

Yes George Shotkowski was from mostly, jablanków according to his immigration record. I also saw people with similar last names immigrating from the place you mentioned in your post of German descent from area. I think I located George’s parents; Jon/Johan Szotkowski and Marie Jeho Bilko. Those two were born in Austriaaccording to some records I’ve seen. I’m going to keep digging and try to find paperwork my mom may still have. Thanks again.
Send e-mail
Pedrovalka

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:34 am      Post subject:

Hi guys, I am from Mosty u Jablunkova and my grandmother is Helena Szotkowska. I am looking for my greatgranduncle Jan/Johann Szotkowski who was born in 1894 in Mosty u Jablunkova and moved to US probably in 20s. I found his late brothers all around the world, in Argentina, Canada and Poland. He is the only missing piece.

If it helps you, write me more details about persons you are looking for and I will check it for you in local archives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Page 5 of 6

Jump to: