PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:38 pm      Post subject: Help Recognizing Polish Town Name in Russian Handwriting!

Hi there,

I've exhausted many resources trying to answer this mystery, so I'm deferring to the members of the forum to help...

In researching my great-grandfather, Felix Jaworski, I've found that his marriage record notes his town of birth and the district in which the town was located. Because this is a marriage record in a Polish Catholic Church ledger from 1901, it's written in Russian. The translator I used did a fantastic job, but he couldn't read the name of the town where Felix was born in 1873. I've attached the document to this post (below) and placed a red box around the words in question. I'd appreciate anyone's help in deciphering this town name. From what the translator said (and my own research)...

It looks like the first word (town) is "Grokimki" (or similar), but I cannot locate a town name (in Polish) that has this spelling or something similar

The second and third words are "Kolski district" (or similar). In a Polish geography book, I found that there was a Kolski district, and the entry noted to "see Kolo," but after looking up Kolo, I wasn't able to locate a town name that resembled Grokimki

So this leads me to believe that he was from a town called Grokimki in the Kolski district, OR we're misreading the town name and district. Felix's wife was born in Skloty in the Kutno district, so I would guess that his location of birth wasn't far from hers.

At any rate, I cannot figure out the town name or where it is (or was) located, and without that information, I cannot research the name of the parish in which his birth record would be kept. We don't know much about Felix, so if ANYONE can provide any help (or leads to someone who can help), I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you very much for your help!

Matt

Marriage Ledger Crop.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Marriage Ledger Crop.pdf
 Filesize:  897.41 KB
 Downloaded:  346 Time(s)

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:33 pm      Post subject: Re: Help Recognizing Polish Town Name in Russian Handwriting

mattyj1202 wrote:
Hi there,

I've exhausted many resources trying to answer this mystery, so I'm deferring to the members of the forum to help...

In researching my great-grandfather, Felix Jaworski, I've found that his marriage record notes his town of birth and the district in which the town was located. Because this is a marriage record in a Polish Catholic Church ledger from 1901, it's written in Russian. The translator I used did a fantastic job, but he couldn't read the name of the town where Felix was born in 1873. I've attached the document to this post (below) and placed a red box around the words in question. I'd appreciate anyone's help in deciphering this town name. From what the translator said (and my own research)...

It looks like the first word (town) is "Grokimki" (or similar), but I cannot locate a town name (in Polish) that has this spelling or something similar

The second and third words are "Kolski district" (or similar). In a Polish geography book, I found that there was a Kolski district, and the entry noted to "see Kolo," but after looking up Kolo, I wasn't able to locate a town name that resembled Grokimki

So this leads me to believe that he was from a town called Grokimki in the Kolski district, OR we're misreading the town name and district. Felix's wife was born in Skloty in the Kutno district, so I would guess that his location of birth wasn't far from hers.

At any rate, I cannot figure out the town name or where it is (or was) located, and without that information, I cannot research the name of the parish in which his birth record would be kept. We don't know much about Felix, so if ANYONE can provide any help (or leads to someone who can help), I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you very much for your help!

Matt

according to:

1. Geographical Dictionary of the Kingdom of Poland (issued on 1880-1902):

village Grzymki, Kolno county, Kubra community (nowadays Przytuły), Romany parish, Łomża governorate

2. Directory of the Kingdom of Poland in alphabetical list of cities, villages, farms, colonies (issued on 1877):

village Grzymki, Łomża govermotrate, Kolno county, Stawiski community, Romany parish

Przechwytywanie.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.8 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Przechwytywanie.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: