PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Military Portraits
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:30 pm      Post subject: Military Portraits

If you have military photos of your ancestors taken in Poland, please share them here.This is a portrait of my great-grandfather, Stanislaw Kulawiak, who was born in 1870 in Odrowaz, a village in the Podhale part of Poland, near Czarny Dunajec. The portrait was done when he was a young soldier serving in the Austro-Hungarian Army. He was probably conscripted at age 18, around 1888. I know no other details and the Austrian war archives had no record for him. Someday I will check the Warsaw archives. There were all kinds of stories and rumours about Stanislaw’s military career from his being a diplomatic courier all the way to being a general in the Kaiser’s Army. By now, no one really knows what he really did in the Army.

The red pom poms on his chest is a marksmanship lanyard: http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/badges/lanyard1.htm

And the stars on his collar indicate that my g-grandfather the “general” was not really a general at all. I think the portrait was probably done around 1890, maybe later if it took several years to reach his rank.

I have also attached images of Stanislaw later in life.

If you have images of your Polish ancestor in military uniform, please post them here. Thanks!

stanislaw_kulawiak_military_portrait.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.75 KB
 Viewed:  18789 Time(s)

stanislaw_kulawiak_military_portrait.jpg

stanislaw_kulawiak_1920s_thru_1940s.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.33 KB
 Viewed:  18788 Time(s)

stanislaw_kulawiak_1920s_thru_1940s.jpg

Last edited by Shellie on Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:22 pm      Post subject: Austro-Hungarian Army Soldier

Shellie, 3 white stars made his rank as Sargent. The photo was colorized and retouched as the stars should be six-pointed. Your actual pic should look like my cousin Andreas Ferro who was a Slovak on the other side of the Tatra Mountains in the Austro-Hungarian Army near Liptov.

I love the mustachio pics- my GF had the same type. And so do I !

Sgt. Andrew Ferro.JPG
 Description:
Sgt. Andreas Ferro circa 1895
 Filesize:  73.12 KB
 Viewed:  18790 Time(s)

Sgt. Andrew Ferro.JPG

Send e-mail
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:27 am      Post subject: Military Portraits

Bill,
It looks like your Soldier - Cousin also has some of those PomPoms off his shoulder on the right side of the photo.

Shellie,
I Love the photo of your GGrandfather in the three decades of his life. What a wonderful age progression set of photos to be in possession of!

Does anyone know, if a soldier is identified as being in the "Austo-Hungarian Army"--What years would that have covered?

Thanks,
MaryAnne
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:10 am      Post subject: Military Portraits

Hi,

The First Soldier photo is thought to be my Grandfather's oldest Brother Adalbertus (Albert) Joannes Duplaga b. 1876 in Brzozow, Poland.

The second Soldier photo is unidentified at this time, however my grandfather and Adalbertus did have a brother named Wladyslaw (Walter) Duplaga who also served in the military. Walter was b. 1879 in Brzozow, Poland. However there is yet another brother, and it is unknown if he may have served in the military.

In my research, I did find a couple photos very similar to my #2 Soldier's uniform and feathered hat like the one on the chair, unfortunately there were no descriptions identifying the pictures online.

If anyone can identify anything in these photos, I will be most appreciative.

MaryAnne

scan0022 - unknownb.jpg
 Description:
#1 Soldier--Thought to be Adalbertus (Albert) Duplaga b. 1876
 Filesize:  83.42 KB

scan0022 - unknownb.jpg

scan0022 - reverse.jpg
 Description:
Reverse of Soldier #1 photo
 Filesize:  143.13 KB
 Viewed:  18789 Time(s)

scan0022 - reverse.jpg

scan0025 - unknownb.jpg
 Description:
#2 Soldier-- Unidentified Possibly Walter Duplaga
b. 1879
 Filesize:  75.64 KB

scan0025 - unknownb.jpg

scan0026 - reverse of previous imageb.jpg
 Description:
Reverse of Soldier #2 photo
 Filesize:  100.08 KB
 Viewed:  18790 Time(s)

scan0026 - reverse of previous imageb.jpg

Shellie

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:25 am      Post subject:

Here is a link to a site where I posted the portrait of my g-grandfather in uniform. I was pleased with the level of interest in my posting and also with the replies I received. Browse the postings and you will see many people have posted photos asking for uniform identification. Good Luck!!!!
http://austrohungarianlandforcesdiscussionforum.yuku.com/forums/1
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:44 am      Post subject: A-H soldiers

Thanks, but a hardened soldier would like you to call it his lanyard instead his pom-poms! Yes he is wearing a lanyard, to bad the b&w photo doesn't show if they are green or red in color, this determines which regt. the soldier belonged to.

MaryAnne- your first soldier is a private. (nothing on collar) I can't see his hat to tell more. If his belt buckle can be enlarged it will tell more about him. The second guy is a corporal in rank (2 white stars). The back of the pics will help identify where the pic was taken. The guys at A-H site will look them up for you. Both uniforms are pre- WWI (1914).
Send e-mail
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:09 pm      Post subject: Military Portraits

Hello Shellie & Bill,

Thank you both for your input. I will check out the website later today!

MaryAnne
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:59 pm      Post subject:

Bill - Did I understand correctly....you have a handlebar? When are we going to see your thumbnail photo with your user name!
Keep the photos coming everyone!
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:50 pm      Post subject:

These photos are of my grandmother's godfather Jan Obierek (aka Jan Obirek). They were taken around 1918. He was born in December 1888 in Huta Rozaniecka and he was a 2nd or 3rd cousin. I found these photos in my great-grandmother's album and it sparked some research into who he was and what military he served. He lived in Pittsburgh for awhile, but later served in Haller's Blue Army, also known as the Polish Army in France. He returned to Pittsburgh around 1920 and then I believe that he went back to Poland, where he had left behind is wife, Anna. I think he had children, but I don't have any names. If anyone recognizes him or has any information about his family in Poland, please contact me. His Obirek family lived in Huta Rozaniecka and Ruda Rozaniecka.

You can read more about Haller's Army at:
http://www.hallersarmy.com/Units.php

Obirek, Jan2 - Copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  179.22 KB
 Viewed:  18791 Time(s)

Obirek, Jan2 - Copy.jpg

Jan Obierek.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.29 KB
 Viewed:  18793 Time(s)

Jan Obierek.jpg

alexho
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 67

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:10 am      Post subject:

My grandfathers brother Czeslaw Ciesielski born 1914 in Janow Great Poland

Czeslaw Ciesielski.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.88 KB
 Viewed:  18795 Time(s)

Czeslaw Ciesielski.jpg

jmb123

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:34 pm      Post subject:

Hi - this is a picture of my grandfather, John Tarsa b. 1879 in either Biesna or Szalowa to Josef Tarsa and Katarzyna Librant and who was in the Austrian Army. I have also attached a copy of his papers which I have tried to translate. If you can offer a translation to the paperwork that would be great. I think it was his orders to report but I am not sure. Thanks.

John Tarsa Austrian Army Pic 1.JPG
 Description:
John Tarsa in Austrian Army
 Filesize:  24.32 KB
 Viewed:  18800 Time(s)

John Tarsa Austrian Army Pic 1.JPG

Austrian Army papers IMG_0006.pdf
 Description:
Army papers

Download
 Filename:  Austrian Army papers IMG_0006.pdf
 Filesize:  1.99 MB
 Downloaded:  1416 Time(s)

Send e-mail
Artur Tarsa

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:27 pm      Post subject:

jmb123 wrote:
Hi - this is a picture of my grandfather, John Tarsa b. 1879 in either Biesna or Szalowa to Josef Tarsa and Katarzyna Librant and who was in the Austrian Army. I have also attached a copy of his papers which I have tried to translate. If you can offer a translation to the paperwork that would be great. I think it was his orders to report but I am not sure. Thanks.

Hi, It can be. I have family that lives close to Biesna in Poland with the same name Tarsa. My father was born in Siedliska in the vilage close to Biesna. His secondary school was in Biesna. My grandfather was Józef Tarsa and my second grandmother was Ludwika. I have some photographs of my grandfather and even my grand grandfather.

The Document in pdf form that is attached it is simply mobilization assignment to maneuvers of the army for your grandfather. 1903-1905.

Biesna is the vilage, it was a district of this region. Gorlice it is a city, the second level of local government administration.

Your grandfather was called to Austrian army first time in 1898.

Greetings

Artur Tarsa
Cheri Vanden Berg

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:17 pm      Post subject: Military portrait

This is my Busia's brother. His parents were Klemens and Magdalena (Babicz) Lenart. I would love to find out his first name. He may have been born in Zaluczne. I don't know where this picture was taken. My Busia, Aniela, was born about 1897. She was the oldest of 10, and I think this brother may have been one of the younger children. I am also adding a later picture of him and his family just in case they look familiar to anyone that might read this now or in the future.

Busia's brother & family.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  317.45 KB
 Viewed:  18800 Time(s)

Busia's brother & family.jpg

Shellie

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:40 pm      Post subject: Re: Military portrait

Cheri Vanden Berg wrote:
This is my Busia's brother. His parents were Klemens and Magdalena (Babicz) Lenart. I would love to find out his first name. He may have been born in Zaluczne. I don't know where this picture was taken. My Busia, Aniela, was born about 1897. She was the oldest of 10, and I think this brother may have been one of the younger children. I am also adding a later picture of him and his family just in case they look familiar to anyone that might read this now or in the future.

Cheri, is this the brother who married a lady in France? The family portrait has a logo from a photograph that I think was in France.......Do you already know where in France they lived? If not, the photographer logo should provide some clues. There are a few vintage photos for sale online that were also taken by this photographer.

Does the military photo have a photographer watermark?
Cheri Vanden Berg

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:48 pm      Post subject:

No, at least I don't think so. I have a couple of snapshots from the wedding in France (I'm afraid that I don't know where in France), and that brother has dark hair. Wow, I wonder if this brother could have moved to France as well. If the uniform is familiar to anyone, please let me know. I'll have to dig out the original picture to see if it has a watermark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Poland and its people in old photographs and postcards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Page 1 of 3

Jump to: