PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:58 pm      Post subject: Brides and Grooms - Old Photos of Poland Weddings

Are you lucky enough to have wedding photo of your ancestor from Old Poland? Please share it with us!

We love details, so please:
Include where the photo was taken (we love to know village names)
Tell us who those people are (we love to know your great-grandma's name)
What was the date (we love to know the date when we are looking at the beautiful old wedding attire)

Thank You for sharing with us!

Last edited by Shellie on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:46 pm; edited 4 times in total
Denniseanne60

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:59 am      Post subject: I Do

This is a photo of Wladyslaw Kuczma and Anna Kuczma (nee Basara ) on thier wedding day. 1930-45

scanner_6.jpg
 Description:
I will ask Wladyslaw who else is in this photo and where exactly it was and I will post the info here.
 Filesize:  193.45 KB
 Viewed:  24051 Time(s)

scanner_6.jpg

All Polska

Replies: 48

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:12 pm      Post subject:

These are relatives of my grandmother, Mary Sokolowski. (Maryanna - Polish.)

Her mother Mehalina & father Filipe Sokolowski and their other two daughters, Cecilia & Sofie (who married a Balinski) remained in Poland. Mary's parents lived on a farm near Krakow in the county of Galicia.

nieces_wedding_in_poland_028_433_164-3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  474.43 KB
 Viewed:  24070 Time(s)

nieces_wedding_in_poland_028_433_164-3.jpg

alexho
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 67

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:52 am      Post subject: Wedding picture of Stanislawa and Waclaw

My grandfathers sister Stanislawa Ciesielska born 1905 in Janow Great Poland and her husband Waclaw Szymanski.
Both lived in Lodz.

Stanislawa and Waclaw.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Stanislawa and Waclaw.jpg

Last edited by alexho on Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:28 am; edited 3 times in total
Cheri Vanden Berg

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:35 pm      Post subject: Brides and Grooms in Poland

This photo was sent to my Busia from Poland. It is most likely her niece or nephew.

Polska18.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  200.43 KB
 Viewed:  24069 Time(s)

Polska18.jpg

Last edited by Cheri Vanden Berg on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Shellie

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:33 pm      Post subject:

Hi Cheri, thanks for posting these photos! They are great! I'm not 100% certain, but in your first photo, that entryway looks like the church in Odrowaz. There have been renovations to the church, but take a look at your photo next to the one I took on my trip in 2009. The perspective is a little off, but the outline of the doorway is the same, and the stone font for holy water to the far right wall is also the same. I also think that the grate is also in the same spot (it lines up with the holy water font). It would be great if we could find a vintage photo of the church for comparison.

This photo gives me chills. That groom looks exactly like my father when he was a young man! I wish I had photos of my family who remained in Odrowaz, but none of the family I've found have photos.

The last photo that you posted of the wedding inside the church does not look like the interior of the Odrowaz church. I can't explain why, but I get the feeling that this wedding is taking place in the USA. But I may be WAY OFF on this. Did it have any clues written on it, watermarks or logos?

Wedding photo Odrowaz church entry.jpg
 Description:
Click on photo to enlarge
 Filesize:  833.8 KB

Wedding photo Odrowaz church entry.jpg

Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:01 am      Post subject: Polish wedding pictures

Shellie,
Yes! It looks like the door was added to be flush with the outside wall in your picture. With the other comparisons, I would be very surprised if this wasn't the same church.

It would be something if the groom turned out to be related to your dad (and you). Of course I don't know if it's the bride or groom that is related to me, but I think one of them is.

I did not think that the last picture, with the interior of the church, was in Odrowaz or Zaluczne. If by chance it still looks similiar, I hope someone will identify it. With the altar portrait of Our Lady of Czestochowa, it has to be a Polish church, but of course that doesn't mean it couldn't be a Polish Church in the U.S. On the side of the altar, below the window, it looks like logs...also, there was some very faint Polish writing on the back that I couldn't make out in the scan. Of course someone in the U.S. could have written in Polish, but I do think it was likely a Polish church. Most of my Busia's pictures are not that old. My guess is that that one was taken in the late '60s or early '70s.

Did you notice all the - are they ferns? - on the dresses...even on the slightly modern dress. I even saw some on First Communion dresses that were sent from Poland. I wonder if this is a Polish tradition, or a Highlander tradition. I tried searching for that information for a little while, but didn't come up with any answers yet.
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:33 am      Post subject:

Maybe they are evergreens on their dresses? In an article called Rites of Passage in Poland Today
http://www.pokrycki.com/pdf/text_rites.pdf it says that flowers and evergreen plants serve as a symbol of life and vitality. I see that the bride in the wedding picture from Lodz also has greens on her dress. It's hard to tell for sure because it's a little blurred, but I think that my Busia did too in her 1917 wedding in the U.S.

Last edited by Cheri Vanden Berg on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
emil

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:44 am      Post subject:

The traditional dress the man is wearing maybe from Upper Silesia.
rsowa
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:59 am      Post subject:

This is a wedding photo for my maternal grandmother's parents. They were married at St Mary of Perpetual Help Church in Chicago, on 10 Nov 1890. Both were new arrivals, having emigrated from Galicia only a couple of years before.

Except for possibly the flowers, there doesn't appear to be much that is "traditional" Polish. Neither had been married before, and Franciska was only about 17 (or maybe younger).

Richard

1890 Szymon Polek and Franciska Bejenka Chicago Wedding.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  790.28 KB

1890 Szymon Polek and Franciska Bejenka Chicago Wedding.jpg

Krishy88

Replies: 24

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:28 pm      Post subject:

This painting, that I have now learned is called Monidło in Poland, is of my Great Great Grandparents, Mary Slupska and Jakub Chachula. They both immigrated from Smolice, Galicia in 1913 with their own families. They met in Chicago, Illinois and married in 1916. I know this isn't much to go on, but I thought maybe someone would recognize their faces.

IMG_0169.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.26 KB

IMG_0169.JPG

caroldunn789

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:21 am      Post subject: Bartłomiej Balcerzak and Scholastyka Chojnowski Pogoński

This is my great-great grandmother and her second husband. Married in Ciemniewko Parish.
Her first husband was Józef Pogoński.
I always assumed this was their wedding photo. Married February 9, 1884
130 years later the Parish has a Facebook page! Very Happy
https://www.facebook.com/ciemniewkoswmikolaj

Media1105.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.07 KB

Media1105.jpg

Send e-mail
hannahblack26
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 47

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:31 pm      Post subject: Wedding portrait of my great-grandparents.

My great-grandparents:

Bride: Urszula Gielicz, born in 1879 in Ladek, Wielkopolska. She was 4'9 with dark hair and dark eyes.
Groom: Karol Blachowicz, born in 1878 in Krasice, Slask. He was 5'8 with dark hair and hazel eyes.

I think I have identified the flowers in her bouquet - myrtle, ferns, chrysanthemums, and possibly hollyhocks.

They appear to have met through mutual friends in Pittsburgh, PA, or perhaps she was brought over to marry him; she was about 30 when they were married in 1909.

The church they were married in still stands, and I've attached a modern photograph of it. I plan on visiting it sometime soon, since not only were my great-grandparents married there, but all of her sisters who came over were, too.

For 70-odd years this was thought to be the only photograph of them, until I discovered a family photo in a manila envelope belonging to my grandfather that depicted Karol, Urszula, and their two children.

Sadly, Urszula was committed to a mental institution for reasons unknown (but hotly debated in my family) in 1916, and she stayed there until she died in 1956. Her children never knew her and were told she had died; sometime in their adulthood, my grandfather and his sister destroyed all personal records and mementos of the family - except for the photographs mentioned above and their father's wedding ring (seen in the wedding portrait).

pitt-immac-church-hdr-sw.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  436.49 KB

pitt-immac-church-hdr-sw.jpg

tumblr_o2rekoPlFM1qbgeljo7_1280.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  453.88 KB

tumblr_o2rekoPlFM1qbgeljo7_1280.jpg

melaniemiguel

Replies: 9

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:42 am      Post subject: Jarkiewicz wedding, probably in Sokolina

My grandfather, Jan Jarkiewicz appears in the photo just behind the bridal couple. His brother, Kacper is a few men down that same row. I know he went back to Poland around 1930 for a wedding. Perhaps this is it.

poland4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  261.31 KB

poland4.jpg

melaniemiguel

Replies: 9

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:44 am      Post subject: Mroz Family Wedding in Krakow on Lokietka Ul.

My grandmother, Maria Mroz in a family wedding. I don't recognize anyone except her, on the end at the right.

poland1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  175.97 KB

poland1.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Poland and its people in old photographs and postcards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: