PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:19 pm      Post subject: Webmaster Announcements or How to take the most out of it

We recommend free Firefox Browser ( http://www.mozilla.org/ ) for viewing PolishOrigins.com website.

It is not only very easy to navigate but also allows to enjoy all functionalites of our webpage which is not always possible in case of using Internet Explorer...

Last edited by Zenon on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:30 pm; edited 4 times in total
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:17 am      Post subject: Screen resolution

The minimal screen resolution we recommend is 1024x768.

Combination of Internet Explorer and resolution lower than 1024x768 may result in incorrect page display.
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:34 pm      Post subject:

Printing function improved.

Now you can print each document/article (containing no unnecessary supplements) directly from your browser level (File/Print) and read it from the comfort of your armchair.
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:32 pm      Post subject:

RSS - stay up-to-date.

After a few weeks of tests we implemented RSS functionality in our Forum.

An RSS (Rich Site Summary or for Really Simple Syndication) is something a website offers to readers to provide a "news feed" of their information. It's available for everyone to add to their own "news reader" for free and gets displayed on your desktop or in your web browser.

It works almost like a stock ticker, delivering exactly the information that you have anonymously "subscribed" to, eliminating the need to go out and check your favorite outlets for new information, because they're already delivered to your computer.

You do not have to be logged in to PolishOrigins Forum to receive timely information about new posts in the Forum.

You can choose if you want to be informed about new posts that appear in:

- All Topics. Click the icon at the bottom of the main page of the Forum.

- Given Forum. Example: if you want to be informed about all new articles but only in Research in Poland forum click the icon after entering given category.

- Given Topic. Example: if you want to be informed about all new articles but only in Article: "Remote" research in Polish State Archive topic click the icon after entering given topic.

You can subscribe to RSS from your browser level (FireFox, Internet Explorer 7.0) just by clicking on the RSS icon, or you can use one of many RSS Readers (e.g. Google Reader http://www.google.com/reader/ , or any other application from the exemplary list: http://blogspace.com/rss/readers)

Last edited by Zenon on Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:36 am; edited 3 times in total
Send e-mail
James
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:58 pm      Post subject: RSS

This past weekend, I set aside a few hours, to try and install the RSS feature on my PC. Not being an expert with computers Confused , I knew I'd need ample time. To my surprise, after about 30 minutes, I had installed the RSS feature, and was able to view all the topics in the forum. This was a major accomplishment for me, so I would think that those of you with the necessary skills, could do this in no time at all. Today, I observed my first new post, for Polish Origins, via the RSS icon, and found it to be a good time saver, without having to log on to the site itself.

Thanks Zenon
james
Zenon

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:29 am      Post subject: Youtube videos in our Forum

Youtube videos in our Forum

Most of you probably have watched or maybe even have uploaded your own videos to http://www.youtube.com/ . Now, you can share videos you created or these which you think might interest others, in our Forum.

All you have to do while wrtiting a new article is:
- find video in http://youtube.com ,
- copy its address (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BFXsnnqN1I),
- come back to edited article window and click youtube button in upper right corner below subject field,
- paste the video address into the empty field in new open window,
- click OK.

After submitting your article the video will be embedded in your message in Forum (you can always preview your article before submitting it).

Click here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=350#350 to see an example of videos in an article about Eye on Poland CNN series.
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:57 am      Post subject: Upload pictures from your local disk

Now, if you need help in deciphering birth certificate of your great-grandfather or would like to show other beautiful place which you visited you can upload your scanned picture or photograph directly from your computer to our Forum Exclamation

All you have to do is to scroll down to the section below 'Add an Attachment', click 'Browse...' to find the picture file in your local drive, add comment to the picture (optionally) and click to the 'Add attachment' button.

You can also upload archives files (not only pictures), packed into zip or rar files, to mention only these most popular.

Files much larger than 2MB will not be uploaded. If your file is larger than 2MB you should resize it to maximum 2MB by using one of the image editing software (to read more about this kind of software and their use in genealogy click here:"Image Editing and Cataloging Programs and Genealogy" ) or use one of this very useful on-line tools like: http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ .

Look below at the examples of uploaded scan and photographs. To enlarge given picture just click on it.

Galicia_certificate2.jpg
 Description:
Birth certificate from Galicia
 Filesize:  1.12 MB
 Viewed:  33167 Time(s)

Galicia_certificate2.jpg

Open_Air_Museum-Sanok.jpg
 Description:
Open Air Museum in Sanok
 Filesize:  207.16 KB
 Viewed:  33166 Time(s)

Open_Air_Museum-Sanok.jpg

Last edited by Zenon on Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:11 am      Post subject: How to modify body or subject of my message?

How to edit my post to modify its body or subject Question

Everybody who posted a message in our Forum can modify or delete his or her own message.

In attached picture you will find instructions how to do it. Click on the picture below to enlarge it.

editing_messages.jpg
 Description:
How to edit or delete my message.
 Filesize:  283.46 KB
 Viewed:  33149 Time(s)

editing_messages.jpg

Last edited by Zenon on Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:44 am      Post subject:

PolishOrigins.com on Twitter

That's right, after a few months of experimentation with Twitter we also decided to "tweet". Our goal of being there is simple: to provide you regularly with hints, interesting facts and news about Polish genealogy and our website development.

Thus, click here to Follow us on Twitter Exclamation
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:58 am      Post subject:

Apology.

Today, those of you who are registered to our PolishOrigins Forum received an e-mail entitled: 'You have been added to this usergroup'.

Our members group has been becoming larger and larger and, for technical reasons, we had to reorganize list of our subscribers. This is why some of you received this e-mail for the second time.

I want to apologize any of you who felt irritated by this e-mail in any way. You can unsubscribe from this group, which we send special notice emails about updates on the PolishOrigins.com, by replying to the e-mail received and simply putting 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

In a few a days you will receive a new e-mail about launching our new online tool which we named Polish Genealogy Databases.
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:19 am      Post subject:

Get daily updates from Forum via email.

All Forum visitors have the opportunity to subscribe to "news feed" or RSS using their favorite method. More about RSS and its use in Forum can be found here: RSS - stay up-to-date.

Now we add one more option - possibility of getting daily summary of all posts from Forum directly to your email box.

Many of us are used to the old, good discussion lists. If we are subscribed to any of such lists, we receive each email sent to it, or daily (sometimes weekly) digest, to our inbox. Now, by subscribing to our 'Forum Daily Digest' you can receive daily email in a friendly, easy to read and navigate form. Click here to see an example of such email containing Forum update.

All you have to do is to enter your email address in the left top corner on the main website of the Forum or click here .

You don't have to be registered as a member of PolishOrigins.com to use this function.

Last edited by Zenon on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
All Polska

Replies: 48

Post Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:24 pm      Post subject:

In my e-mail, it said to only send the part of a document you want translated. If you can't read the Polish & need it translated....how do you only send the part you need translated?????????
Zenon

Post Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:00 pm      Post subject:

All Polska,

Do you mean our request from this post: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=13011#13011 Question Or are you referring to something else .. Question
Send e-mail
All Polska

Post Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:47 pm      Post subject:

I don't know where exactly I read it, but it was on this forum. It just so happened that I just for the first time ever submitted something to be translated & it was a regular size book's page. It is very ornate with scrolls on top, a paragraph & then a list of names on the bottom. I was told it was a list of students from a school in Poland with one of my family member's names. The only word I can guess is Amerikus, which I assume is America. So I have no idea how to pick a part to be translated. At one time I could begin to spell each word & my mom would finish the spelling & tell me what it said and how to pronounce it in Polish. However, she's had several mini strokes & doesn't remember much & gets confused. Once I read an e-mail from you, I delete it and /or save it. So I can't be more specific Sad
All Polska

Post Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:41 pm      Post subject:

OK?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> What, Why, How...? All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: