PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:19 am      Post subject: Just off the boat - old photos of our immigrant ancestors

Are you lucky enough to have a photo of your ancestor departing or arriving by ship?

My cousin shared this group photo at the docks in an unknown location - we don't know if this is an arrival or departure photo. I've included a close-up of my great-great-uncle Jan Kanty Kadlub, from Odrowaz, a small village near Czarny Dunajec in southwestern Poland. He came to the United States around 1904 and spent his entire life working in the mines in Export, PA.

If you have any photos of your ancestor on board ship, or at the dock, please share it with us.

Click on image to enlarge.

Jan Kanty Kadlub.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  100.97 KB
 Viewed:  5338 Time(s)

Jan Kanty Kadlub.jpg

James
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:02 pm      Post subject: photos of family at dock

WOW!
Shellie, how great to have photos of your family at the dock.
They must be very special to you.
I always think of the range of emotions that were in each person. The joy of leaving oppression, the sadness of leaving loved ones, the excitement of the adventure to a new country/world, the apprehension of relocating to a new country, etc.....
And I think that if it was not for the courage of my great grandfather to immigrate to the USA, I may not have enjoyed growing up in such a free and rich country. Thanks great granddad Smile

I have 6 old photos of family, 5 from Poland, 1 from USA. None from the docks Sad
I only know the people in 2 photos, and have a good idea of another photo, but the last 3 I have not been able to identify who they are, other than they are most probably relatives.

I hope others will post their photos of family at the docks.
I would like to see what it looked like at the dock where my relatives sailed from. ( Hamburg )
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:12 am      Post subject: Re: photos of family at dock

James wrote:

I hope others will post their photos of family at the docks.
I would like to see what it looked like at the dock where my relatives sailed from. ( Hamburg )

James,

here you'll find some interesting photos of the emigration port of Hamburg that your relatives sailed from

http://www1.uni-hamburg.de/rz3a035//emigration.html
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:58 am      Post subject:

Ute - thank you so much for posting the link to the Hamburg photos. I've often wondered what it was like for our ancestors when they prepared to embark on their journey!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Poland and its people in old photographs and postcards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: