PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 63

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:16 am      Post subject: Are today's Poles aware of this?

I came across this wonderful gift from Poland to the USA on the 150th anniversary of our revolution: "A Polish Declaration of Admiration and Friendship for the United States of America" written in 1926. It is a massive collection of bound books with thousands of pages of signatures and art work. I am attempting to get permission to make a book of the "best pages" (my opinion) with the intention of giving it to relatives when I visit. Their little village had two pages of signatures. What a lovely surprise to see some of my deceased relatives' signatures.

My question: are Polish people very aware that this gift from their nation?
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:21 am      Post subject:

Elzbieta Porteneuve shared this with us several months ago. Isn't it amazing?
dgawell

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:14 pm      Post subject:

Do you think the average Pole is aware of this document/gift? I'm going to guess no.
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:52 am      Post subject: Re: Are today's Poles aware of this?

dgawell wrote:
What a lovely surprise to see some of my deceased relatives' signatures.
Nice!Smile what a find!

And replying to Your question, hardly somebody knows this fact. Interwar Period was time of free independend Poland and i believe that time was not being shown as it should be during 50 years of communism after the WWII.
dgawell

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:27 am      Post subject:

Thank you. I didn't want the Polish relatives to be like "Oh, yeah, we all have seen/heard about this." The vast majority of Americans have no clue and even Polish Americans are not very aware.
aleksanderz
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 56

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:15 am      Post subject:

Personally, I was aware of this, but this is more of a curiosity than a well-known fact, probably only history fans have heard about this. I also do not remember learning about this in school.

This also happened few years after Woodrow Wilson's presidency has ended and he was (and still is) of great admiration in Poland because of the 13th point from his famous "Fourteen Points" declaration, which was as following:

"XIII. An independent Polish state should be erected which should include the territories inhabited by indisputably Polish populations, which should be assured a free and secure access to the sea, and whose political and economic independence and territorial integrity should be guaranteed by international covenant."
dgawell

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:27 am      Post subject:

You know American history better than I! Thank you for your response. I have the book almost finished and it looks beautiful!
aleksanderz
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 56

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:40 am      Post subject:

Apparently, there is also a short Polish documentary (with English subtitles) about this Declaration Smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu2rjXFK7Do
Kim K

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:45 pm      Post subject:

Maybe a year ago I saw something noted about these items but I thought with regards to them being scanned? Are they now accessible somewhere?
IskraTS11

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:04 am      Post subject:

It's the first time I've heard about that, and I've asked quite a couple people both in Poland and among the Polish diaspora abroad (USA, France...)
It's definitely something that should be displayed more in popular media, to be at least as known as the fact that the Statue of Liberty was a French gift!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: