PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:17 am      Post subject: "10 great books about Poland" - blog post

Are you planning to travel to Poland? If yes, you would most certainly want to get the most out of your visit. Do you wish to really immerse yourself in the ambiance of the country and to understand its history, culture and traditions? To also gain an insider’s perspective?

This is exactly what we are trying to achieve during our tours. But, before you arrive, there are so many things that you can do on your own! One of the best is to get to know some Polish literature.

That is why I have prepared for you my personal selection of some great reads. The list is divided into three parts, just like the former partitions of Poland, and like our three regular PO tours: Galicia (Austrian Partition), Kingdom of Poland (Russian Partition) and Prussian Poland.

Read the article on our blog:

"10 great books about Poland that will give you the new perspective"
https://blog.polishorigins.com/10-great-books-about-poland-that-will-give-you-the-new-perspective/

No matter whether you are planning to travel in Poland or not, or if you have your relatives born here, I hope that in my list, you will find something interesting for you.

What are your favourite books about Poland? Have you read some from my list?

I look forward to read your comments.

Projekt bez tytułu (1).png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.08 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Projekt bez tytułu (1).png

Visit poster's website
MikeHNiemczyk

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:25 pm      Post subject: Histories and Chronicles- Giedlarowa & Szufnarowa (Galic

Aga,

I would like to know if there are any books (written in English) might might help me to understand what life was like for farmers living in the villages of Giedlarowa and Szufnarowa during the period 1820-1900. Wikipedia fails to give me anything of interest.

Michael
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:33 am      Post subject: Re: Histories and Chronicles- Giedlarowa & Szufnarowa (G

MikeHNiemczyk wrote:
Aga,

I would like to know if there are any books (written in English) might might help me to understand what life was like for farmers living in the villages of Giedlarowa and Szufnarowa during the period 1820-1900. Wikipedia fails to give me anything of interest.

Michael

Michael,

I do not know any book in English concerning this specific area, but I would say that for anyone having their ancestors from the whole area of Poland should read "The Peasants" by Władysław Reymont. This book is a great study of the traditional worldview and everyday life in the villages at the beginning of 20th century.

I think that this should be very easy to find, even online.

Greetings,
Aga
Visit poster's website
MikeHNiemczyk

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:28 am      Post subject: The Peasants

Thank you, Aga.
MikeHNiemczyk

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:14 pm      Post subject: Read "The Peasants" online

Aga,

I had trouble locating a copy of Reymont's "The Peasants" to purchase- I saw a copy for sale online but it was selling for $225. But then I contacted Kazimierz Chrapka, president of the W. Reymont Foundation, and he kindly sent me this link -

https://polona.pl/item/the-peasants-a-tale-of-our-own-time,MTM3NzI5Mzg/5/#item

I'm sharing it here just in case anybody else on this site was interested in the same topic.

Michael
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:18 am      Post subject:

Thank you Michael!
Visit poster's website
vladislavzorov

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:08 am      Post subject: poland books

I am planning to visit next month, thanks for sharing such great books.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Books & Movies All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: