PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:45 am      Post subject: Not sure where from - Sangwo?

I am trying to decipher the name of the town/village this Wojciech Janicki is from. The record is for a marriage in 1888 and was written by the parish priest of St. Stanislaus Kostka, a Polish parish, in Chicago. I have attached a scan. It appears the village is in Galicya (Galicia, the Austrian partition of Poland). Any ideas?

Wojciech Janicki birthplace .jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.75 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Wojciech Janicki birthplace .jpg

Stanislaw

Replies: 23

Post Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:01 pm      Post subject: Wojciech from Pstrągowa

The priest shortened many words. I think he shortened (or did not remember well) the name of the village.

"Wojciech Janicki mł[odzieniec] l[at] 28 w Ch[icago] 2 [lata]
miesz[ka] na Wade str syn Sebastyana i Katarzyny Stec urodz[ony] we wsi [P]s[tr]ong[o]wa Galicya

Here are the birth records from Pstrągowa. Look at the record 98. Andreas was born to Josephus Janicki, who is son of Sebastiani and Catharinae nee Stec
https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1113/0/-/2/skan/full/4iuotMLWhzt0JtMmHTe6lA

Stanisław
Send e-mail
ILuvPoland

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:03 am      Post subject:

Wow - thank you so much for figuring this out! I don't think I would have ever made that connection. I had noticed that priests to abbreviate the other words, but I hadn't really seen that for a town or village's name before, at least to this extent.

Also thanks for sending the birth record related to Wojciech's parents; it would seem that Jozef may be his brother!

Pat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: