PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:10 pm      Post subject: Pustkow in southeast Poland

First, let me apologize. I am relatively new to this site, and I don't know how to type the Polish alphabet here or use diacritical marks.
Pustkow (with a diacritical mark over the O) is roughly 35 miles northwest of Rzeszow, and near Ocieka, Bialy Bor, etc. It currently has it's own Roman Catholic church., but in the past was a part of the parish of Brzeznica. Does anyone know when Pustkow got it's parish church?
Question 2 - The Mormon church has not filmed the Pustkow Church records. This could be because the priest did not allow it, or perhaps the records were destroyed. In WWII, Pustkow was the site of a Nazi concentration camp, and so I cannot rule out the destruction possibility. Does anyone know if this is what happened?
Sandy
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:30 pm      Post subject: Re: Pustkow in southeast Poland

Catlady51 wrote:
First, let me apologize. I am relatively new to this site, and I don't know how to type the Polish alphabet here or use diacritical marks.
Pustkow (with a diacritical mark over the O) is roughly 35 miles northwest of Rzeszow, and near Ocieka, Bialy Bor, etc. It currently has it's own Roman Catholic church., but in the past was a part of the parish of Brzeznica. Does anyone know when Pustkow got it's parish church?
Question 2 - The Mormon church has not filmed the Pustkow Church records. This could be because the priest did not allow it, or perhaps the records were destroyed. In WWII, Pustkow was the site of a Nazi concentration camp, and so I cannot rule out the destruction possibility. Does anyone know if this is what happened?
Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Pustków belonged to the RC parish of Brzeźnica prior to WWII. A Catholic church was built there in 1939. Any records from that parish church would be covered by the 100 year privacy rule and thus would not have been filmed.

One method to type Polish characters would be use your character map---a bit cumbersome. Another method would be to use a program like Microsoft Word (for a fee) or LibreOffice Writer (free) and insert the special characters into your text---easier than using character map but not like having a Polish keyboard.

Wishing you success,

Dave
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:20 pm      Post subject:

Add a Polish Keyboard option. Below is for Microsoft 8.1, but similar procedures for other operating systems.
Go to control panel, then clock, language and region, then language.
Select language wanted by clicking on it, then open.
Select variant of that language if offered.
Click on add. Done.
Language in use appears on desktop toolbar. Click on it to show language options.
Select another language, if desired.
To use a non-English character, press right alt gr and letter key together. Done.
Catlady51

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:36 pm      Post subject: Pustkow in southeast Poland

Dave and Henryk,

Thank you both for responding. Dave, you have saved me some time and effort. Since I will be looking for records from the 1860's, I now know to go directly to Brzeznica to begin my search.
Henryk, I will look into trying what you suggested.

Thank you both again,
Sandy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: