PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 25

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:57 pm      Post subject: Searching for Szwed Relatives

I am searching for three Szwed's who left Europe from Hamburg and sailed to the US. The year was 1910. Dominik, Stanislaw and Josef Szwed. Josef was my grandfather who was born 1889 in what he said was the town of Borowo and his father's name was Adam. By 1917 his WWII draft card lists his location of birth as Lida Wilanska Russia. I have an old map of Poland from 1902 and at that time most of Poland was Russian territory. Google brings up as many as 15 places named Borowo. The northern Borowo I have ruled out as it was Prussian territory at that time. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. My grandfather listed his race as Lithuanian from the country of Russia. Anybody got a clue?
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:29 pm      Post subject:

Your 1902 map of "Poland" is probably of the so-called Russian Kingdom of Poland. Lida was then in Gubernia wileńska, part of the "Western Provinces of Russia". It was in interwar Poland and now is in Belarus. Perhaps your Borowo is now Barov/Barovo, 43.0 kilometers E of Lida 53°53' N 25°18' E.
cszwed

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:55 am      Post subject:

Hey, Thanks a lot! I think you are on to something here. I will look in this region and pull the church records. God Bless you!
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:19 pm      Post subject:

From the 1890's Geographical Dictionary, Borowo was in powiat lidzki, gmina Koniawa. Parish was Nacka (Nacza). Koniawa is now Kaniava/Konyava, Lithuania (54°06' N 24°42' E ). Nacza is now Nacha, Belarus (54°04' N 24°50' E ). Borowo must be near these, but can not find present name. There are LDS records: Metrical books, 1796-1889, Roman Catholic Church records (births, marriages, deaths) for Nacha, Lida, Vil?na, Russia; later Nacza (Lida), Nowogródek, Poland; now Nacha, Voranava, Hrodna, Belarus. Text in Polish, Latin and after 1858 in Russian.
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno=741675&disp=Metrical+books &columns=*,0,0
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:31 pm      Post subject:

Sorry for multiple posts. Kept getting an error message, on failed submission, which turned out false.
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:33 pm      Post subject:

Henryk,

I apologize for the problems. We are just doing technical update in our Forum so you may experience temporary problems while posting new articles. See the announcement: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=3329#3329

Zenon
Send e-mail
cszwed

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:19 pm      Post subject: Szwed from Borowe

It looks as if I finally have located my grandfather's birth/baptism record in the Belarus archives of Grodno . Received a letter from the archives that Josef has been found. I have mailed my payment for fees and am waiting for the letter. I have had so many false starts, clues and misinformation that I am not sure I believe my luck.
Though I first thought Borowo was the name on the ship manifest that may have been an ink smear and not an "O" after all but an "e". I am currently waiting for the official copy (not a photo copy) but a written copy of the record. Apparently scanners or photo copies are not allowed in the archives. Nor are godparents names??????????????? I think I can safely assume that after 123 years these people are dead. If you make the assumption that they were 20 years old at the time then they would be 143 years old now.
Why would godparents names not be allowed to be seen?
Belarus is a strange country but we must act with courtesy.
I have posted my search questions under the name of cszwed over a year ago. I wish to thank all those who offered up suggestions.
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:51 pm      Post subject:

It would surely be faster, safer and more practical if they made a scanned copy of the page, as it is done in polish State Archives. How can the researcher be pretty sure the belarusian clerk will transcribe it correctly, specialy if the original record was handwritten? On the other hand, maybe this is the procedure in Grodno archives. In Poland, once again, my own experience proved that some branches are too much complicated, whereas others make our lives easier.
Best luck on your long awaited record!
Gilberto
Send e-mail
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:12 pm      Post subject:

Cszwed,

I thought you might be interested in other's experience of working with Belorussian State Archives. Click the links to see two topics where we discussed about it some time ago:
http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=169
http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=599
Send e-mail
cszwed

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:46 am      Post subject: Henery K was the closest to the correct locatation

The name Borowo has many names it seems. Borowe is also a common name for the same location.
From the 1890 birth record of my grandfather Josif Szwed:
A copy of the three metric birth records for Nachskomk's Church Leeds County Vilnius province for 1890. On November 25th, 1890, in Nacha Roman Catholic church, child under the name Josif was baptized
according the full rite of baptism by priest vicarius Joan Krinsky. Son of lawfully married peasants from Kaniowo rural district Adam and Agata (nee Lanewska) Szwed, born on November 4th, 1890, in Borovy village, Nacha parish. Godfathers were: peasants Kaetan Szwed
and Ewa Szwedowna
Dubičiai
Varėna 65015, Lithuania is very close to the area where I think my grandfather was born. The three lakes appear on the [url]map:
http://www.mapywig.org/m/WIG100_300DPI/P32_S39_MARCINKANCE_300dpi.jpg[/url]
Bottom right hand corner North of Dubicze
I am hoping to locate the marriage record for my great grandfather Adam as I will be able to get his father and mothers names (my great,great grandfathers)
This has been about a 6 year chase and nothing comes easy!
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: