PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:14 pm      Post subject: Searching for STERN near Schönlanke (Trzcianka)

Greetings, everyone!

My great-great grandfather was named Gustav Emil Stern. According to my grandfather, he was born near Schönlanke. Gustav's birthdate is listed on his death certificate as 12 June 1864. He appears to have arrived in the States on 10 February 1882.

Using the available online resources I haven't been able to find much as far as records go.

I have one source (a possible distant cousin) who says Gustav's parents may have been John Stern and Henrietta Pontar, but there are no solid sources for this info. The closest record with those names is an 1859 marriage record for a Johann Sterck and Henriette Pontow in Schönlanke. I have no way of knowing if it is connected, however!

I'm hoping there's a way to positively identify the names of Gustav's parents and birth location. Does anyone know the best way to go about finding out that information?

I've attached a photo of Gustav if anyone's interested!

Thanks for any and all help!
~Adam

gust-stern_01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.1 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

gust-stern_01.jpg

Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:14 pm      Post subject: Re: Searching for STERN near Schönlanke (Trzcianka)

planckera wrote:
Greetings, everyone!

My great-great grandfather was named Gustav Emil Stern. According to my grandfather, he was born near Schönlanke. Gustav's birthdate is listed on his death certificate as 12 June 1864. He appears to have arrived in the States on 10 February 1882.

Using the available online resources I haven't been able to find much as far as records go.

I have one source (a possible distant cousin) who says Gustav's parents may have been John Stern and Henrietta Pontar, but there are no solid sources for this info. The closest record with those names is an 1859 marriage record for a Johann Sterck and Henriette Pontow in Schönlanke. I have no way of knowing if it is connected, however!

I'm hoping there's a way to positively identify the names of Gustav's parents and birth location. Does anyone know the best way to go about finding out that information?

I've attached a photo of Gustav if anyone's interested!

Thanks for any and all help!
~Adam

Adam,

Evangelickie-augsburg records for Trzcianka are online, but I could not find him between 1859 and 1865.
https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/55/896/0/?q=trzcianka+XTYPEro:zesp+XSKANro:t&wynik=2&rpp=15&page=1#tabJednostki

Gilberto
Send e-mail
planckera

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:56 pm      Post subject:

Gilberto,

Your link may have been a great help! I've been on that website before, but I found it hard to navigate, so I was unable to locate the correct records. Thanks to your link, I was able to comb through the year 1864, and there appears to be a section for a village of Neudorf (today known as Nowa Wieś?). There is an entry on 12 June for a Gustav whose parents are Johann Stern and Henriette Pontow! At least that's how I read it. I've attached an image of the page, but it can also be found here: https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/55/896/0/-/36/skan/full/yIQKr5iQOANFJpZ9TFhPAw. See line 14. Would you agree that that's what's written? Thanks for leading me in the right direction!

~Adam

gust-stern-possible-birth-record_12-jun-1964.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  568.93 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

gust-stern-possible-birth-record_12-jun-1964.jpg

Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:42 am      Post subject:

planckera wrote:
Gilberto,

Your link may have been a great help! I've been on that website before, but I found it hard to navigate, so I was unable to locate the correct records. Thanks to your link, I was able to comb through the year 1864, and there appears to be a section for a village of Neudorf (today known as Nowa Wieś?). There is an entry on 12 June for a Gustav whose parents are Johann Stern and Henriette Pontow! At least that's how I read it. I've attached an image of the page, but it can also be found here: https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/55/896/0/-/36/skan/full/yIQKr5iQOANFJpZ9TFhPAw. See line 14. Would you agree that that's what's written? Thanks for leading me in the right direction!

~Adam

Adam,

I am glad that you found his birth entry (for some reason I did not see it there). I also read the same parents as you do.
German Name Neudorf
Polish/Russian Name Nowa Wies
Kreis/County Czarnikau
German Province Posen
Today's Province Wielkopolskie
Location East 16°27' North 53°00'
Google Map Google Maps (Neudorf)
Map Number 55
Location Description This village/town is located 4.4 km and 182 degrees from Schönlanke, which is known today as Trzcianka
Lutheran Parish Neudorf 1905
Catholic Parish Schönlanke 1905
Standesamt/Civil Registry Schönlanke, Landbezirk 1905
Gemeindelexikon/Town Index V-6-34
Population By Year/Einwohner 1905: 632
Remarks After/Nach 1920 Netzekreis, Province/Provinze Pommern. eis

Gilberto
Send e-mail
planckera

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:28 am      Post subject:

Thanks again, Gilberto!

I'm finding the history of Poland fascinating as I try to compare today's place names with those of the past. I'm just starting to get a better grasp of how all the history fits together. It's a lot to take in, but very enjoyable!

~Adam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: