PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:31 pm      Post subject: Interpreting Place of Origin on Passenger List

Would someone please take a look at this attached passenger list and see if you can read the place of origin for Margorzata Zebrowska (third from top). It's difficult to read because name of town/village was written over by another name.

NYT715_299-0459.jpg
 Description:
New York Passenger List
 Filesize:  769.83 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

NYT715_299-0459.jpg

Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:33 pm      Post subject:

Hi Melanie,
Oh, my. That is a tough one. I see that your Malgorzata travelled with 3 kids. At least one, if not all three, were U.S.-born; the notation is unclear to me. Do you know if the children were born in South Amboy, NJ, by any chance? That is what I think I see as one layer of writing. The other layer looks like Plotzk which I take to be a mis-spelling of Plock.
That is my best guess at the moment.
Sophia

Edit: Just to be clear, I am not seeing "NJ" in the writing. I am seeing something that begins with capital S, followed by possibly "o" and "u" or maybe "o" and "n". I see a capital A in there. I see an ending that could be "...boy" or "...burg" or something like that. My eyes want it to add up to South Amboy, perhaps because that is not very distant from Brooklyn where they are heading and because young Anna was born in the U.S. (and maybe young Zenon and baby Adam were, also). It would actually make more sense for the notation to be a town in Poland, but I cannot think of any that fit with the letters I am seeing. On another note, if it is at all helpful to you, the address of Malgorzata's husband, Zenon, in Brooklyn is "Metropolitan Ave 138" (written on 3 lines).
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:34 am      Post subject:

Melanie and Sophia,

It they had a boy named Benedict, then Malgorzata's maiden name is Knapicka (found in Family Search)
There is a Teofil Grometzki (Gromecki) arriving at NY and going to his brother-in-law Zenon Zebrowski.
Teofil's wife, Antonina, stayed in Poland.
I cannot decifer Teofil's place: looks like Sbialyków ou Hialików. (also found in Family Search)

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Victoria

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:08 am      Post subject:

I noticed it said she had been in the US for 8 years. So there must be an original record of her first coming into the US. Try looking for that and maybe the last place of residence will be clearer.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: