PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:41 pm      Post subject: Jan Staszewski lived Warsaw - Would like Info on his life

I posted this on another board, and rememberd how helpful this board was in the past. So I will post here too.
I'm trying to help a friend find out what happened to his father.

The father's name is Jan Staszewski born about 1903, lived in Warsaw Poland and worked for the government in Finance. The friend, Richard and his mother lost track of Jan Staszewski when the war started in 1939. We believe that Jan Staszewski (Richard's father) was married to someone other than Richard's mother and had a few children, possibly two daughters and a son. We can not confirm this, but this is believed to be true. So needless to say, this Jan Staszewski did have "two families".

Richard and his mother spent time in concentration camps and didn't know what happened to Jan Staszewski. In the late 1940s, Richard and his mother moved to the US. The red cross called his mother in the US in 1964 and told her Jan Staszewski died. The details are unclear, but we think that Jan might have left word that if he died to notify her, or friends of his mother had the red cross call. Not sure how the red cross fits in. It might be too, that he worked for the government.

Richard and his mother used her maiden name when they came to the US, so it might have been hard for Jan to find them if he tried. Just to be clear, Richard's mother and Jan were never married.

Richard would like to find out all he can on Jan. Did he die in 1964? Is there a way to confirm that with vital records? What did he actually do for the government.
And what would be wonderful is maybe a government book with photos of employees, and Jan.

We are not expecting anyone to send this information, but ultimately would love to find out:
Did he go back to his wife and children after 1939? Did he stay with them until he died? Did he have any more children? Did any of his children come to USA? If they did, where did they settle? What kind of work did he do after the 1939 war ended? Was he taken to a concentration camp? Which one? Are there any of his family still alive that I could contact and where are they living now?

ANY help, ideas, links or suggestions on how to proceed for here is appreciated.

THANK YOU!
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1000

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:33 pm      Post subject: Re: Jan Staszewski lived Warsaw - Would like Info on his l

Gwendeanne wrote:
I posted this on another board, and rememberd how helpful this board was in the past. So I will post here too.
I'm trying to help a friend find out what happened to his father.

The father's name is Jan Staszewski born about 1903, lived in Warsaw Poland and worked for the government in Finance. The friend, Richard and his mother lost track of Jan Staszewski when the war started in 1939. We believe that Jan Staszewski (Richard's father) was married to someone other than Richard's mother and had a few children, possibly two daughters and a son. We can not confirm this, but this is believed to be true. So needless to say, this Jan Staszewski did have "two families".

Richard and his mother spent time in concentration camps and didn't know what happened to Jan Staszewski. In the late 1940s, Richard and his mother moved to the US. The red cross called his mother in the US in 1964 and told her Jan Staszewski died. The details are unclear, but we think that Jan might have left word that if he died to notify her, or friends of his mother had the red cross call. Not sure how the red cross fits in. It might be too, that he worked for the government.

Richard and his mother used her maiden name when they came to the US, so it might have been hard for Jan to find them if he tried. Just to be clear, Richard's mother and Jan were never married.

Richard would like to find out all he can on Jan. Did he die in 1964? Is there a way to confirm that with vital records? What did he actually do for the government.
And what would be wonderful is maybe a government book with photos of employees, and Jan.

We are not expecting anyone to send this information, but ultimately would love to find out:
Did he go back to his wife and children after 1939? Did he stay with them until he died? Did he have any more children? Did any of his children come to USA? If they did, where did they settle? What kind of work did he do after the 1939 war ended? Was he taken to a concentration camp? Which one? Are there any of his family still alive that I could contact and where are they living now?

ANY help, ideas, links or suggestions on how to proceed for here is appreciated.

THANK YOU!

Gwendeanne,

Has your friend found any further information from the Red Cross? If the Red Cross contacted your friend's family, perhaps they still have a record.

From the Red Cross at
www.redcross.org/services/intl/holotrace
The Holocaust and War Victims Tracing Center is a national clearinghouse for persons seeking the fates of loved ones missing since the Holocaust and its aftermath. We assist U.S. residents searching for proof of internment, forced/slave labor, or evacuation from former Soviet territories on themselves or family members. This documentation may be required for reparations.

All of tracing services are free of charge.
We use the worldwide network of more than 180 Red Cross and Red Crescent societies and the Magen David Adom in Israel.
We also consult museums, archives, and international organizations to further facilitate tracing requests.
Cases remain open, and if new information becomes available, it is immediately shared with the inquirer.

I have never used this service, so I do not know any more than what is on their website. I have spoken to some people who have used this service with some success. I'm sure that they work with the INTERNATIONAL Red Cross International Tracing Service (ITS): The ITS is located in Bad Arolsen, Germany:

http://www.its-arolsen.org/en/homepage/index.html
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:56 pm      Post subject:

A number of Jan Staszewski died as a consequence of German actions.
http://lwww.straty.pl/index.php/pl/szukaj-w-bazie
For the total list, enter nawisko Staszewski and imie Jan. None with 1903 birthdate, and most are later.
One is listed with a 1964 death:
http://lwww.straty.pl/index.php/pl/szukaj-w-bazie
STASZEWSKI, JAN
Father's name: JAN ....Mother's name: MARCJANNA
Birth date: 1901-01-26 in birth place WIENNOWICE
Died: 1964-05-06
(Office of Veterans Affairs and Repressed Peoples)

Imprisoned: przeżył (survived)
Prison type: obóz koncentracyjny (concentration Camp)
Place of sentence: OBÓZ KONCENTRACYJNY
Date sentenced: 1942-05-01
Date released: 1945-05-01
Gwendeanne

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:57 pm      Post subject:

Thanks both of you for the great responses.

Shellie, Richard has contacted that exact Red Cross branch. They responded with some great info in the form of a time-line on Richard and his mother Lydia's locations in the concentration camps and DP camps. He was over the moon with that info. I can't say for sure if Richard asked them about this father. I really think after Richard looked at the website he'd seen it was mostly for tracing HIS experiences and not his father's. I need to check with him and ask him to write them again and ask about Jan, his father.

HenryK, can you tell me more about the straty website and why someone would be on there. I clicked on the English flag and put in Staszewski and age is not found. I gave the link to Richard, he read some Polish. We are excited because the b. 1901 and d. 1964 are the closest we'd found for this Jan.
We have seen other Jan Staszewski's on the concentration camp lists but they were way too young to be Richard's father.
Can you tell me more about this database where you found Jan born in 1901. The link doesn't like me too well.

Thanks.
Gwen
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1000

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:50 pm      Post subject:

Hi Gwen,
I don't know if you read this message from Zenon, but here is the link:
http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=50
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:17 pm      Post subject:

http://www.straty.pl/
Quote:
The Program “Victims of the Nazi Regime-Database of Polish citizens repressed under the German Occupation” was initiated by the Institute of National Remembrance (IPN) and the Polish Ministry of Culture and National Heritage in 2006. The main goal of the Program is to create a personal database containing all possible information about victims of the German repressions on Polish citizens during the Second World War.

One could assume that 60 years after the end of the Second World War the exact number of irreversible civil losses among Polish citizens has already been calculated. Unfortunately, that is not the case. During the Second World War, Poland suffered the largest demographic loss among all allied nations, caused by warfare and occupation. Up till today, the number of the above-mentioned losses and the scale of the repressions is still an estimation rather than a proper calculation.

Both the Third Reich and the Soviet Union set up a policy of harsh repressions (e.g. local genocides, resettlement and forced labour) on Polish citizens living in the Second Polish Republic. In order to eventually calculate the exact number of Polish citizens who suffered, were repressed or died as a result of Nazi repressions, following steps have to be taken: professional evaluation of the available data; merger, standarization and supplement of various disintegrated data bases. These actions should have been undertaken already long time ago, yet, for different reasons, they haven't been carried out, either in the communist People's Republic of Poland or after 1989. This Program intends to break with using rough estimations only and, instead, to replace them with precise calculations based on concrete testimonies of the victims, their relatives or friends. In this way, the total number of the victims will no longer be a purely statistic data but will rather show people's lots and personal tragedies behind it.

This is why we decided to make not only the numbers but also some of the personal information (e.g. names, persons' lots) public. In this way we hope to present the victims as a group of individuals and not as an impersonal mass. It is almost impossible to think of a single village or city whose inhabitants were not objects of Nazi repressions. There are hardly any families which relatives did not suffer as a result of German rules. Numerous commemorative plaques and memorials, spread all over the country, still remind us of these tragic events. Now it is high time to gather all the missing information, especially that some of the contemporary witnesses are still alive and their first-hand relations could help us fill in some blank pages in the archives. Some of Polish families still know a little about the fates of their relatives who disappeared without a trace. A unified, standarized database concerning Nazi repressions will not only serve as an excellent historical source but might also help the victims' relatives to find out more about their dearests' lots.

There is also the companion database of victims of the Soviets:
http://www.indeks.karta.org.pl/en/index.html
There are four Jan Staszewski on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: