PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:02 am      Post subject: Locating Vital Records Previously in Poland, Now in Ukraine

Hi there,

Can someone in the forum advise regarding locating vital records for countries that fell under the Poland name during the late 1800s but are now not in Poland? Specifically, I'm seeking to locate records for my great-grandparents - of Jewish faith - one was born in Toporov, Poland around 1887, and the other was born in Lutsk, Russia in 1885. Other than the country boundaries changing, I'd likely be looking for documents not in English (either Hebrew or Russian), and I have no idea where to start. I do know their approximate marriage year (circa 1906) - names are William Checkman and Bashe Schachter. I also know their parents' names.

From my very premature research:

- Toporov was part of the Austrian Empire, in the Galicia province, in the Brody district prior to WWI; Toporov "Toporiv" is now part of Ukraine

- Lutsk was part of the Russian Empire, in the Lutsk district, in Volhynia province prior to WWI; Lutsk is now also part of Ukraine

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Matt
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:53 pm      Post subject: Re: Locating Vital Records Previously in Poland, Now in Ukra

mattyj1202 wrote:
Hi there,

Can someone in the forum advise regarding locating vital records for countries that fell under the Poland name during the late 1800s but are now not in Poland? Specifically, I'm seeking to locate records for my great-grandparents - of Jewish faith - one was born in Toporov, Poland around 1887, and the other was born in Lutsk, Russia in 1885. Other than the country boundaries changing, I'd likely be looking for documents not in English (either Hebrew or Russian), and I have no idea where to start. I do know their approximate marriage year (circa 1906) - names are William Checkman and Bashe Schachter. I also know their parents' names.

From my very premature research:

- Toporov was part of the Austrian Empire, in the Galicia province, in the Brody district prior to WWI; Toporov "Toporiv" is now part of Ukraine

- Lutsk was part of the Russian Empire, in the Lutsk district, in Volhynia province prior to WWI; Lutsk is now also part of Ukraine

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Matt

Hi, Matt
Have you already checked this?
http://agad.gov.pl/inwentarze/testy.html

Gilberto
Send e-mail
mattyj1202

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:54 am      Post subject:

Thanks, Giberto. What exactly is this page, and does it include Jewish records?

M
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:48 pm      Post subject:

mattyj1202 wrote:
Thanks, Giberto. What exactly is this page, and does it include Jewish records?

M

Matt,
Sorry, it does not include Jewish records from what I see. At least for the places you are interested in.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: