PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 172

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:58 pm      Post subject: Re: Post your remark or suggestion

Ute wrote:

Zenon,
For those of us who like to help others with their research it would be helpful if there was a way to see a member’s message posting history. Sometimes a member has already received one (or even more) responses to an earlier post. Knowing which information a member has already will help avoid duplication of effort. Genealogy.com, for example, has a link that says “Show this User's Message Posting History” -- for details see here: http://genforum.genealogy.com/ia/messages/20432.html
Ute

Hello Ute,
I'm going to try to answer that for Zenon. You can search for postings by a forum user by using the search feature at the very top of each page of this site.
Slav
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:12 pm      Post subject: Searching the forum for postings by a specific user

Suppose you wish to examine postings sent by Zenon Very Happy

1. You click the search option
http://polishorigins.com/forum/search.php?sid=27ac2c1928dfb11a0dc73d2b2a14a2f6
(see image #1)

2. Enter the forum name of a user in the box corresponding to "Search for Author" (see image #2)

3. In "Display results as" I prefer the option "Posts" ("Topics" is selected by default). This way, it is easier to reach a specific post.

4. The column on the right-hand side allows you to further select how the results are displayed.

5. Click the "Search" button

6. See the results (image #3)

7. To go directly to a specific post, click the underlined text which is the subject of a given message (highlighted in yellow on image #3)

Ute, I hope it is the solution to the problem you described, and that you will all find it useful. It took me a while to learn this feature while being a member of an internet forum dedicated to blues music. Laughing

1-Search-forum-feature.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.31 KB
 Viewed:  10599 Time(s)

1-Search-forum-feature.jpg

2-Search-forum-fields.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  303.77 KB

2-Search-forum-fields.jpg

3-Search-forum-results.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  361.77 KB

3-Search-forum-results.jpg

Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:06 am      Post subject: Re: Post your remark or suggestion

Hello Slawomir,
Thank you for your very quick and detailed response. I've been using the search box from time to time (e.g. when searching for certain keywords), but sometimes there were just too many results displayed to weed through. Specifying the options for displaying the results as you describe it seems to be a good way to limit this. Thank you!
Ute
Slav
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:19 am      Post subject:

You're welcome, Ute. I was sure you knew the search box function, but I've posted a detailed explanation so that users less experienced with the forum features could benefit from these tips as well.
eileen

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:35 pm      Post subject:

I posted a message on the forum but I don't see it. In the first place I found it very difficult to figure out how to post.
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:28 pm      Post subject:

eileen wrote:
I posted a message on the forum but I don't see it. In the first place I found it very difficult to figure out how to post.

Hi Eileen,
Are you talking about the message you posted on your profile that started with:

I am trying to trace my grandmother's family. Her last name was Zbydniewski

If, so, then that message is only visible when someone clicks on your member name and reads your profile.

If you'd like for the information that you wrote in your profile to appear in the discussion forum, you can post it again here:

http://forum.polishorigins.com/
On this page, scroll down the list of forum sections and choose one that best fits your message. If your main interest is in Poland, click on any line that says "Research in Poland" This will take you to the forum.

Next,
On the upper left of the page, under the words Research in Poland - you will see a button for "new topic." The titles that get the most success are one's that include surnames and village name (if you know it), like this: Figus family from Nowy Targ area

I hope that this information helps you. There are alot of nice people on this forum and I am sure that someone will respond to your posting quickly.

If I've left anything out of the instructions, please let me know!
Slav
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:17 am      Post subject:

Shellie, thanks for this explanation. We are working on a "user manual" for new members of the PolishOrigins forum.
Magroski49

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:09 am      Post subject:

Slav wrote:
Shellie, thanks for this explanation. We are working on a "user manual" for new members of the PolishOrigins forum.

That could be automatically sent to their email adresses just as soon as they registered.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:47 am      Post subject:

This is a great idea Gilberto. Thank you Exclamation
Send e-mail
Slav
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:12 am      Post subject:

Do you think we need to prepare tips on how to register in greater detail than here http://polishorigins.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14 ?
Mary milewski

Replies: 28

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:55 pm      Post subject:

I sent in some questions some time ago and I have never received a reply. I'm wondering if I offended somehow, but I can't imagine how. I have been working on my family history for about a year now and I am stuck on the Polish side. My grandparents came to the U.S. at the beginning of the 20th century and I cannot get past Ellis Island.
Send e-mail
Shellie

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:29 pm      Post subject:

Hi Mary, I am sure that you did not offend anyone. Sometime my postings go unanswered too. Can you tell me where you posted it?

I see that we talked on this posting:
http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=1331&highlight=milewski

and you also posted here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=2375&highlight=milewski

Is there another posting where no one replied?

Shellie
Mary milewski

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:38 pm      Post subject:

I thought I was having a conversation with Gilberto. I posted some information about my grandmother, Mary Brykowisz. I can do it again, if need be, but I am handicapped and it is very slow going.
Send e-mail
Shellie

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:42 pm      Post subject:

Mary milewski wrote:
I thought I was having a conversation with Gilberto. I posted some information about my grandmother, Mary Brykowisz. I can do it again, if need be, but I am handicapped and it is very slow going.

Mary,
I edited my response above to include two links, but you replied, I think, before my edits were posted. Was your conversation one of those? If both of those links are related, they can be combined to save you the trouble of keeping track of 2 threads of conversation.
Mary milewski

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:02 pm      Post subject:

The postings were from 2014. I remember one asking where Kociumbince was. This was her place of origin in the Hamburg listing from 1907. I can't remember the other question.
But I did want to pursue what I came up with.
Also, I'm curious if the people who were denied admission and sent back are recorded anywhere. There doesn't seem to be any mention of my great grandfather after they arrived.
I have corresponded with the parish priest from Providence and he is not mentioned at all.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> What, Why, How...? All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Page 2 of 3

Jump to: