PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Morawczyna village
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:07 am      Post subject: Morawczyna village

Below I pasted a few links with pictures from Morawczyna posted originally Polish Highlanders section of PolishOrigins Forum here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=3260#3260 .

Here is the link with Waksmund pictures proveded by Ute:

http://grono.net/gallery/photo/show/6384030/morawczyna/
http://picasaweb.google.com/pyzowski.s/MorawczynaPoczTekSezonuRowerowego

Please continue your conversation about Morawczyna in this topic for others interested in this village have chance to find all interesting information in one place.
Send e-mail
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:31 pm      Post subject:

The village of Morawczyna is part of the Gmina Nowy Targ within Nowy Targ County in Lesser Poland (Malopolskie). It is located about 4 miles (7km) north west of Nowy Targ and about 40 miles (63 km) south of Krakow.

Hear how to pronounce Morawczyna here:
http://say.expressivo.com/Ivxylh0d

Some surnames associated with Morawczyna from the Ellis Island website:
Bienias, Blachut, Bohula, Bryja, Duda, Fasiczka, Gasior, Habas, Huzio, Krupa, Krzesica, Krzysicz, Lysik, Morawczynski, Myrda, Nisdzielski, Viedzielska

Website with discussion about a tornado in 2001:
http://tinyurl.com/2001Tornado

Attached image was created from: http://www.maplandia.com/poland/malopolske/nowy-targ/morawczyna/
and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morawczyna

Map.jpg
 Description:
Click to Enlarge. View created from maplandia and wikipedia
 Filesize:  253.63 KB
 Viewed:  19325 Time(s)

Map.jpg

Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:40 pm      Post subject:

Below is a Google translated history of Morawczny at a Gmina Nowy Targ website at: http://tinyurl.com/MorawcznyHist

MORAWCZYNA located on the southern edge of the lower-Pieniążkowickiego Sieniawsko in the foothill. Houses are located at an altitude of 620-640 m above sea level in the valley of the Little Creek, right tributary of the creek Obrocznej, which stems from the Peak (709 m) and Bukovina (730 m). Buildings are oriented to the rural road, which in the upper part of the village branches into Hawierkę (680 m) towards the village department.

The whole Morawczyna a few settlements, of which over Obroczną is the old role Krupowa, Gąsiorówka above, the role Bryjowa and village administrators in the western part of the village. Lany fields rise gently to the north towards the forest areas. Spruce forests occupy steep slopes and wetlands on the northern slopes and the western boundary of the village. Built Pyzówki adjacent spruce forest called Tarnawa or Trąbówką. Next to the border with Pieniążkowicami and department within the wetland forests are: To marshes, saline soils, and Bukovina. Meadows buildings surround the village on the north and south fields stretch to the krauszowskich. Rural areas have lanowy system of field roads perpendicular to the rural road on each role.
Morawczyna located away from major roads, residents enjoy the suburban transport Pyzówki (stop at Bachulach).

The original village close Obrocznej spread, since in the vetting of the year 1564, we read that the creek Obroczna planted in the village, where a man already settled 8, yet do not pay anything, nor do, because in a free sitting. It bore the name Morawcina, and the contents of that record, it appears that has recently been founded, as evidenced by the fact that subjects did not pay taxes and are exempt from labor in favor of the founder. Village to grow, as evidenced by data from the vetting in 1638, which state settlers rise to 10 and 6 cottagers. The settlers pay taxes and spin of his, odrabiają serfdom after 4 days in summer and 3 days in winter. Zagrodnicy odrabiają and after 2 days a week, provide meals, straw and spin after 3 cubits of your yarn. Morawczynianie worked on the farm in Pyzówce (former name Szreniawa) until the mid eighteenth century, when the farm was liquidated, they did so well later, when the buyout by a private owner of the village from the Austrian Government, was established back in Pyzówce farm. In the middle of the eighteenth century under King Augustus III of privilege in the village there was a parish in the possession of Joseph and Stanislas Morawczyńskich.

Among the sacred objects should replace the Chapel of Our Lady Help of Christians, built in 1978 on the site had existed since 1903, a small chapel, which served as a place of prayer, fulfilling a function of ringing the Angelus and during disasters. Extensive Chapel for twenty years the villagers used every Sunday and holidays, and may participate in the Masses. and benefit from other ministries, are celebrated by a priest of the parish in Klikuszowej, which for centuries Morawczyna belongs. At the crossroads of the role is Krupowa chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary from 1878, funded by a private person.

Here is a link to some images of a roadside shrine in Morawczyna: http://tinyurl.com/ARoadsideShrine

Link to website containing information and many photos of the Chapel in Morawczyna – including some beautiful views of the village taken from the top of the church:
http://tinyurl.com/ChapelMorawczyna

A few more photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyzowski.s/MorawczynaPoczTekSezonuRowerowego#

Old Chapel kaplica-morawczyna.jpg
 Description:
Old chapel built in 1903. New church is being built in background (brick tower, back left of photo - it was then covered with stucco and painted yellow). See new church below.
 Filesize:  69.65 KB
 Viewed:  19327 Time(s)

Old Chapel kaplica-morawczyna.jpg

DSC03297.jpg
 Description:
New church, built 2003
 Filesize:  207.26 KB

DSC03297.jpg

Last edited by Shellie on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
violin75

Replies: 73

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:25 pm      Post subject:

Shellie:
What a beautiful church. I love the architecture and the color is so happy and welcoming. I dont have ancestors that are apart of this parish but thanks for posting it.

Last edited by violin75 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
drphil

Replies: 38

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:13 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

I have Habas (also spelled Chabas) and Huzior ancestors frm Morawczyna. Church records were not copied by the LDS and I have been unable to gain access to church records, parish priest did not consider genealogy research such an important matter. I know there are Habases now living in Morawczyna but have not had any sucess in making contact with them.
I know many Habases from Morawczyna and surrounding towns emigrated to Chicago, but without access to church records I have not been able to make any family connections. I would like to make contact with anyone who may have ancestors from Morawczyna.

Phil
Send e-mail
Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:19 pm      Post subject:

I was just looking over some of the photos I took during my Forefathers Traces Tour with Zenon in 2009 and I recognized the church in Morawczyna! We drove through so many villages that I lost track of what we saw. We had no reason to stop in this village, so we zipped through - but I managed to snap a few photos as we went by.

Desktop5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  154.7 KB

Desktop5.jpg

Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:25 am      Post subject: Emigrants from the village of Morawczyna, Galicia, Austria

In the Forum Section on Emigration http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=943 you will find a list of villagers of the village of Morawczina, Galicia, Austria who entered the United States through the Port of New York (based on information given at the Ellis Island site).
drphil

Replies: 38

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:42 pm      Post subject:

Here are some pictures of Morawczyna that I found on Internet

morawczyna3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.42 KB
 Viewed:  19324 Time(s)

morawczyna3.jpg

morawczyna2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.61 KB

morawczyna2.jpg

morawczyna1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.86 KB

morawczyna1.jpg

Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:59 am      Post subject: Wojciech 'Adalbert' CHOLEWA from MORAWCZYNA

Is anyone researching CHOLEWA from Morawczyna? I'm attaching the church marriage record of Wojciech 'Adalbert' CHOLEWA (son of Joannis [Jan/John] Cholewa and Sophia Gorb [?] from Morawczyna, Nowy Targ) and Eva DZIEDZIC (daughter of Adalbert Dziedzic and Catharina Sak from Jastrzabce, pow. Pilzno) getting married on Aug 28, 1894 at St. John Cantius Church, Chicago. Witnesses were Andreas Barzenicz and Joseph Jantoniec (not sure about the spelling). The family lived in Chicago, I have some information on their daughter Anna Cholewa, b 09 May 1895 in Chicago and her descendants.

Source: Illinois, Chicago, Catholic Church Records, 1833-1925, St. John Cantius (Chicago), Marriages, 1894-1909

CHOLEWA-DZIEDZIC church marriage 1892-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  207.84 KB

CHOLEWA-DZIEDZIC church marriage 1892-1.jpg

Last edited by Ute on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:05 am; edited 3 times in total
Shellie

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:39 pm      Post subject: Re: Wojciech 'Adalbert' CHOLEWA from MORAWCZYNA

Ute wrote:
Is anyone researching CHOLEWA from Morawczyna? I'm attaching a church marriage record for Wojciech 'Adalbert' CHOLEWA (son of Joannis (Jan/John) Cholewa and Sophia Gorb (?) from Morawczyna, Nowy Targ)...

Hi Ute!
Sophia's surname might also be Garb. We have come across this surname in Odrowaz, which is only a few km away from Morzwczyna.
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:18 am      Post subject: Re: Wojciech 'Adalbert' CHOLEWA from MORAWCZYNA

Shellie wrote:
Ute wrote:
Is anyone researching CHOLEWA from Morawczyna? I'm attaching a church marriage record for Wojciech 'Adalbert' CHOLEWA (son of Joannis (Jan/John) Cholewa and Sophia Gorb (?) from Morawczyna, Nowy Targ)...

Hi Ute!
Sophia's surname might also be Garb. We have come across this surname in Odrowaz, which is only a few km away from Morzwczyna.

Thanks, Shellie, you may be right! I checked my good old book by Jozef Bubak on the history of surnames in the district of Nowy Targ and found out that the surname GARB occurred from 1646 on in several villages in the Nowy Targ district, while the surname GORB isn't indexed separately in the book at all, but is listed as a variation of the surname Garb. It appears one single time in Bubak's book: in 1794 in the Book of Births of the village of Lasek, which is right next to Morawczyna.
Sophia's surname looks like Gorb in the church marriage record, but it is more likely that it is GARB, unless she's a descendant of the Lasek Gorb family.
Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:36 pm      Post subject:

The following surnames are associated with Morawczyna from passenger lists, discussion forums, FamilySearch and Ancestry. com. These are names as they appear from the websites – Spelling errors have not been corrected.

Bienias, Blachut, Bohula, Bryja, Chabas, Cholewa, Duda, Fasiczka, Galczynski, Gasior, Habas, Huzio, Krupa, Krzesica, Krzysicz, Krzysica, Lajka, Lysik, Lysy, Morawczynski, Myrda, Nisdzielski, Niedzielski, Niedzielska, Nykaza, Plewa, Plowa, Zajac

If your ancestors are from Morawczyna, please leave a message on this forum.
Shellie

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:49 am      Post subject:

Morawczyna in the Polish Gazetteer Słownik geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego i innych krajów słowiańskich.

Morawczyna belonged to the parish in Klikuszowa. Other villages that belonged to Kikuszowa Parish: Klikuszowa, Lasek, Trute, Obidowa, and Pyzówka.

Morawczyna Słownik geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego.jpg
 Description:
Click on image to read larger version
 Filesize:  639.39 KB
 Viewed:  19327 Time(s)

Morawczyna Słownik geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego.jpg

Nykaza6

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:40 pm      Post subject: Anything new??

Hi All!!

So glad to find you here! I was working on family genealogy way back in 2006 and ran into a dead end with no records out of Klikuszowa.....is that still that case???

So fun to see the family surname above....never heard of Nykaza before, so it was fun to see it in your list!!
Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:04 pm      Post subject: Re: Anything new??

Nykaza6 wrote:
Hi All!!

So glad to find you here! I was working on family genealogy way back in 2006 and ran into a dead end with no records out of Klikuszowa.....is that still that case???

So fun to see the family surname above....never heard of Nykaza before, so it was fun to see it in your list!!

Hi! I'm glad that you joined and left a message. Would you like to share some more info about your family? Since the area was relatively small, we might make some new connections.

We think that there are some records for Klikuszowa in the archive of the Catholic Diocese in Krakow. Please stay in contact with us if you would like to collaborate.

Thanks!
Shellie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: