PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Morawczyna village
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:43 pm      Post subject:

Here is a link to another posting about Klikuszowa village:
http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=10557#10557
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:53 pm      Post subject: Krupinski/Krupinska and Zajac from Morawczyna

Shellie wrote:
The following surnames are associated with Morawczyna from passenger lists, discussion forums, FamilySearch and Ancestry. com. These are names as they appear from the websites – Spelling errors have not been corrected.
Bienias, Blachut, Bohula, Bryja, Chabas, Cholewa, Duda, Fasiczka, Galczynski, Gasior, Habas, Huzio, Krupa, Krzesica, Krzysicz, Krzysica, Lajka, Lysik, Lysy, Morawczynski, Myrda, Nisdzielski, Niedzielski, Niedzielska, Nykaza, Plewa, Plowa, Zajac

If your ancestors are from Morawczyna, please leave a message on this forum.

I found the following church marriage record while researching (I'm not related, but thought it might help someone else): Rozalia Krupinska (born in Morawczyna, baptized in Klikuszowa, Dyec Krakow], daughter of Jozef Krupinski and Maryanna Zajac) married Ludwik Kowalkowski (born in Dlugopole, baptized in Ludzmierz, Dyec. Krakow, son of Jakub Kowalkowski and Anna Dlugopolska) on 25 Jan 1911 in Chicago, St. John Cantius Church. Witnesses were Jozef Zajac and Anna Krupa.
Source: Illinois, Chicago, Catholic Church Records, 1833-1925, St John Cantius Parish (Chicago: Carpenter St), Marriages 1909-1915, p. 427.

When Ludwik Kowalkowski registered for WWI in 1917, the family lived in Chicago and had two children. When asked what military service he had, he indicated "private infantry". I've never seen such a remark in any WWI draft registration card.

Source: "United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918", index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K682-6DP : accessed 14 Sep 2014), Ludwik Kowalkowski, 1917-1918.

I'm attaching both records, hoping the information/records will benefit someone.

KOWALKOWSKI, Ludwik WWI Draft registration.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  346.63 KB
 Viewed:  9294 Time(s)

KOWALKOWSKI, Ludwik WWI Draft registration.jpg

KOWALKOWSKI, Ludwik and KRUPINSKA, ROZALIA church marriage 1911-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  387.57 KB
 Viewed:  9294 Time(s)

KOWALKOWSKI, Ludwik and KRUPINSKA, ROZALIA church marriage 1911-2.jpg

Kim K

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:45 pm      Post subject: Morawczyna / Kilkuszowa

Shellie wrote:

We think that there are some records for Klikuszowa in the archive of the Catholic Diocese in Krakow. Please stay in contact with us if you would like to collaborate.

Thanks!
Shellie

Hello, quoting a really old post. I appear to have a Morawczyna connection (Krzesica or Krzysica) and since Kilkuszowa (or Nowy Targ?) may be the parish, I was wondering if the records connection ever panned out.

Also, does anyone have information on where the village/parish cemetery(ies) may be located in these areas?

Thanks,
Kim
drphil

Replies: 38

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:13 pm      Post subject: Morawczyna

Hello Kim, I also have ancestors from Morawczyna. I believe there is a Catholic church in Morawczyna (possibly St. Martin) and it is associated with the church in Kilkuszowa. The Morawczyna church did have a website several years ago and I will have to search and see if I can find it again. At that time they did have pictures of a church ceremony in the cemetery on All Saints Day and I was able to see my surname on a gravestone in one of the pictures. I am almost sure the cemetery was in Morawczyna. Church records are suppose to be in Kilkuszowa parish. I haven't done much research lately but would be glad to help you if I can.
Phil Habas
Send e-mail
drphil

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:30 pm      Post subject: Morawczyna church

http://parafia.pl/morawczyna.html. link to church in Morawczyna. There is a forum on this site about Morawczyna with pictures of area and of the church.
Phil
Send e-mail
Kim K

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:20 pm      Post subject:

Just FYI for researchers:
https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/search?q=Morawczyna&order=&rpp=100

I did a Morawczyna search on szukajwarchiwach and as far as civil records go there are a couple intriguing, if kind of random, things. Unfortunately they are now scattered between the multiple branches of the National Archives Krakow, including one an hour away in Spytkowice.

I am currently looking into what some of these documents are in Krakow. I am not a historian so some are kind of baffling but I've seen a few that may be helpful or just interesting to some folks.

1. "Akta spadkowe" (inheritance records) There are a handful of records listings with specific names and surnames. The ones I pulled were women who died without a will and listed descendants and stand-in representatives for those who were in America, for example.

2. "Księga inwentarzowa właścicieli ról..." (owners of farms, etc in the countryside) from 1811
This did have heading names (main owners?) with secondary name lists underneath (tenants? allotments?) however is not a full census, so to speak.
Includes areas of: Bańska, Dunajec, Białka, Brzegi, Bukowina, Chochołów, Czarny Dunajec, Ciche, Dębno, Długopole, Dział, Dzianisz, Gronków, Groń, Gliczarów, Klikuszowa, Morawczyna, Międzyczerwienne, Maruszyna

3. "Rejestr mieszkańców gromada Morawczyna 1933-49"
This is pretty much a census with families and parent names listed, which was updated after WWII with notations on deaths that had occurred since the original listing.

4. "Rejestr osób opuszczających gminę gromada Morawczyna 1949" Ref # 100, 101
The two volumes are listed with the same title but appear to be slightly different. Volume #101's title page seems to hint at documenting "arrivals" to the area and started with a fairly comprehensive list of the main surnames from Morawczyna before returning to family list pages (maybe the new arrivals?) Volume #100 seemed to be mostly familiar names.

5. "Kwestionariusze rejestracji szkód wojennych." From 1945, look to be forms declaring real property losses from the war and also notes number of people within the household with ages (but not names aside from the filing person). Not every family appears to have filed a declaration and connections may be few, but perhaps interesting for history.
Includes the areas of: Długopole, Klikuszowa, Krauszów, Lasek, Morawczyna, Niwa, Pyzówka, Rogoźnik.

6. "Spis domów, zezwolenia na budowę: Morawczyna (1853) Klikuszowa (1851)" The handwriting was extremely hard for me to read so other than recognizing a few names and knowing the documents have to relate to houses/building rights/property I can't provide specifics.

-- The "Konskrypcja" documents from 1880 had no personally identifying information other than sex and age. The 1890 is lost despite having a listing. I didn't check the 1870.

My hope is to still confirm where any church records ended up as well as checking a few other things in the national archives. Also if anyone wants info on going out to Spytkowice from Krakow (where I found #1-5), or trying to decipher the listings and where they are, just send me a message.
Krae13937

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:08 pm      Post subject: Habas/Plewa

Hi everyone,
So excited to find this page. My great grandmother, Antonitt Habas, moved to Chicago from this village. Her parents were George Habas and Mary Plewa. Antonitt was born in 1898 to give a time frame.
My great grandfather was John Szczepaniak from Nowy Sacz, Nowy Tarq. Please excuse spelling if I put it wrong. They were married in Chicago.

Best,
Kim
drphil

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:36 am      Post subject: Morawczyna village

Hello and welcome Kim, I have ancestors from Morawczyna also. Unfortunately I do not have records to show how we are related. Kim K may be able to help with Morawczyna records. I would be very interested in establishing a connection to the Habases that came from Morawczyna to the U.S and will help anyway I can. Good luck with your research.

Phil
Send e-mail
Kim K

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:46 pm      Post subject: re: Habas/Plewa

Witamy! More Habas -es!
I need to make an index and a chart... The notes I started on the surname are not in any order. I don't have anything I can look at for 1898 but I can look before 1889.

Kim K.
Piotr Zelny
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:32 pm      Post subject:

Hello everyone,

So much interest of this nice place. Luckily Morawczyna village is located in the region which abounds in historical and genealogical sources. I'd like to add some positions to the list above, precisely prepared by Kim K. to push the scope of searches beyond the line of the end of 18th c. as well as add some sources which have character of census. It’s actually may be useful mainly for the one who finished already searches based on vital books and feels the need to go further. This is not complete list, it contains just materials which can be study by each one who can’t speak Polish, Latin, German etc. and speaks just English. Although it needs work on the spot.

1) Lustracja starostwa nowotarskiego 1759 - ekstraktus
Inspection of the country of Nowy Targ 1759 – ekstraktus (manuscript, 176 pages)
https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/29/3051/0/-/71#tabJednostka
Usually in such documents (Inspection - Lustracja) are just descriptive, statistical and tax information. But in this particular document you'll find also census of subjects of villages of the county of Nowy Targ. Morawczyna as well as other villages like Klikuszowa, Dlugopole, Ciche, Czarny Dunajec, Ludzmierz and others belonged then to this administrative unit. I can't totally guarantee that there are censuses of every village which belonged then to the county of Nowy Targ but if not everyone then at least some of them (I feel everyone belonging to royal domain, private were excluded). There are no scans of this so important for the region document.

2) Inwentarz starostwa nowotarskiego 1530 – 1696 (księga 38 kart)
Inventory of the country of Nowy Targ 1530 – 1696 (manuscript, 38 sheets)
https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/1/7/0/11/187#tabJednostka
I do not know this document. So, I can just say that the manuscript is very suspicious and may contain censuses of villages of the county of Nowy Targ.

3) „Akta sądowe nowotarskie dotyczące Tatr 1701 – 1793”
“Files of the judge of Nowy Targ concern Tatry 1701 – 1793”
There are just several testaments so someone would be very lucky finding his last name there.
https://www.dbc.wroc.pl/dlibra/publication/16214/edition/14279/content

4) 9725/III „Lustracje starostw: bieckiego, trzcinieckiego, dębowieckiego, dobczyckiego, grybowskiego, kamioneckiego, kołomyjskiego, łanowieckiego, nowotarskiego, ropczyckiego z lat 1649 – 1766”
http://ossolineum.pl/kat/
The manuscript is kept in The Library of Ossolineum in Wroclaw. I don’t think that there are any censuses, rather just descriptive, statistical and tax information on villages of the county of Nowy Targ although can’t be sure so put it over here.

5) In this documents you should find sources of character of census which are included in collection of 29/279/0 C.K. Komisja Ministerialna dla zniesienia ciężarów gruntowych w Krakowie
29/279/0 C.K. Ministerial Commission for abolishing serfdom in Krakow
There should be registers of residents of villages listed below:
a) Dominium Klikuszowa i Nowy Targ (Dział 1. Morawczyna, Odrowąż, Pieniążkowice, Pyzówka, Załuczne 2. Nowy Targ) - Blumenfeld Abraham (1851 – 1855)
https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/29/279/0/3.1/955#tabJednostka
b) Dominium Morawczyna (generalia, Morawczyna, Niwa, Pyzówka) - Kluziński Julian (1851 – 1858)
https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/29/279/0/3.1/975#tabJednostka
c) There should be registers of people listed by name who pay taxes (like meszne) on the church, that is probably every family, villages as follow:
The church in Nowy Targ, Klikuszowa (gmina, sołectwo), Lasek (gmina), Morawczyna (gmina, sołectwo), Nowy Targ (miasto), Pyzówka (gmina, sołectwo), Waksmund (gmina, sołectwo). Period 1855 - 1856
https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/29/279/0/3.2/1036#tabJednostka

6) Kim K. so pity that you haven’t checked the files of conscription from 1870. In this precisely conscription might be names, addresses and many other interesting and important information. I put it here too.
Konskrypcja z roku 1870 r. - Morawczyna.
https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/29/223/0/-/112#tabJednostka

7) In the period of 1746 – 48 the bishop of Krakow Andrzej Zaluski did some think magnificent. He decided to conduct detailed inspection of his diocese. In result of this act we’ve got very detail information on the towns and villages of Krakow diocese back to the middle of the 18th c.
This materials are known as “Tabele Zaluskiego” “Zaluski’s tables”. They are kept in the Archive of Diocese of Krakow. This are materials mainly of descriptive, statistical character. But to collect all of this statistical information every priest in each parish of diocese had to made a list of souls in his parish. Generally they should run such books but then they were extra obliged to write them. Such books are called “Status animarum”. Many of them are still kept in parishes other are kept in the Diocese Archive in the files of particular parishes.
When you search for vital books in the parishes of Krakow diocese (and wherever) ask for status animarum.
Best regards
Piotrek

Last edited by Piotr Zelny on Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Piotr Zelny
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:09 pm      Post subject:

Hi everyone,
I have done some researches of the village of Morawczyna. These are my conclusions and a short note. Enjoy.

In 1745, prince Michał Kazimierz Radziwiłł called Rybeńko (Fish, Baby) took over the county of Nowy Targ from the hands of Teofila Wiśniowiecka née Leszczyńska. His wife, duchess Anna Radziwiłł née Mycielska, receives from King August III ius communicativum, i.e. the right to take over leased royal goods from the deceased spouse. In 1759, an inventory of the County’s property is drawn up, where Anna is already mentioned as the holder of the lease in accordance with the royal privilege issued in May 1759. Her husband Michał Radziwiłł dies 3 years later, and in 1767 Anna sells her lifetime royal lease rights to Franciszek Rychter. By reason of the takeover of royal property by the new tenant, a new inventory of the County of Nowoy Targ was prepared.

This is the census of the village of Morawczna made in 1767 contained in the abovementioned inventory of the County of Nowy Targ and inscribed in the Books of the Castle Court of Nowy Sącz. The original version lists all serfs and taxes paid by individual families. I transcribed only one full record (number 2. Sebastian Cholewa) as an example. The last names from that period might differ a bit from their contemporary versions.

Morawczna Village – numbering 10 full fields

Kmieć (full field host):
1) Władysław Morawczyński – the village administrator
2) Sebastian Cholewa – 6 days per year with cattle, on foot 6 days, 3 elbows and 4 belts of yarn, 6 sheaf of straw, 4 carts of wood, 2 korce (c. 90 litres) of oats, 1 goose, 2 hens, 31 mountain złoty 12 groszy and 9 denar of rental
3) Jan Guty or Guły
4) Józef Habas
5) Wawrzyniec Myrda
6) Jan Machniaty
7) Szymon Bryja
8 Mateusz Trąba
9) Stanisław Stefek
10) Wojciech Mosiek

Kmieć on half field:
1)Jan Biniarz
2) Błażej Antolec
3) Błażej Bilkówka

Zagrodnik (a host having a house and a smoll field):
1) Jakub Pietrus
2) Jacek Szymko
3) Mikołaj Gąsior
4) Wawrzyniec Świerczek
5) Jędrzej Krupa – a forester
6) Batory

Three years before the takeover of the county, Franciszek Rychter is elected at the Convocation Sejm (The Lower House) together with three other lustration officers to inspect the Krakow Province. In the text of the conducted lustration from 1765 we find the names of the village administrators (sołtys): Józef and Stanisław Morawczyński. The same persons and, additionally, Władysław Morawczyński and their sons Paweł and Franciszek are mentioned in the royal privilege of August III of May 25, 1749, which privilege is known due to an entry in the Books of the Castle Court of Nowy Sącz and Krakow.

Estimated population of the village of Morawczna in 1767. There are specified just the hosts, heads of individual families of the two basic categories of rural population. In accordance with the guidelines established by Michał Kopczyński for the Wieluń region (distance from Morawczna 252 km to the north), I take as the conversion factor for the 18th century the average number of people per household:
- kmieć (full field and half field host): 7.42 people
- zagrodnik (a host having a house and a smoll field): 4.94 people

The other categories of population were not listed in the census: relatives, cottagers, chambers (chambers with a garden), cornerers (chambers without a garden), workers (farmyard workers, maids). These categories of population are often generally referred to chambers. In the 18th century they could constitute about half of the population of a village. There should be added loose people and beggars.

Number of members of the listed families: 13 x 7.42 + 6 x 4.94 = 96.46 + 29.94 = 126.1 people

The estimated population of the village of Morawczna could be around 200 - 250 people in the middle of the 18th century.

According to the “Register of heads” from 1676, the population of this village was 56 people, which number should be multiplied by 2. That is, 2 x 56 = 112. In 2004, the village had 684 people.

Best regards
Piotr

ps. If you wish our assistance, you can read more here: https://polishorigins.com/genealogy/

Register of heads 1676.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  118.74 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Register of heads 1676.png

Census of Morawczyna 1767 part 2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  297.72 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Census of Morawczyna 1767 part 2.png

Last edited by Piotr Zelny on Fri May 29, 2020 4:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Kim K

Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:49 am      Post subject:

Piotr Zelny wrote:
Hi everyone,
I have done some researches of the village of Morawczyna. These are my conclusions and a short note.

Best regards
Piotr

Piotr, what is the source of the second document? It is a little small so hard to read and guess.

Aha, dzięki for the names. You've cleared up some that appear in a similar context (I think?) in 1811, 1855 lists that I'd forgotten I'd taken photos of. The latter has Morawczynski and a few other surnames under "Freybaur" (Freibauer? - farmer who owns own land?) which has piqued my curiosity.

If anyone is interested in village lands, can read scribbly Austro(?)German + maybe a smidge of Latin and wants a project, PM me. I'm already in the middle of a different project so I cannot sort though things to connect names and dates.

Kim
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:34 am      Post subject: Morawczyna village

I have Cholewa and Zajac from Morawczyna in my family Tree:

1) Katarzyna Cholewa, b 1863 in Morawczyna, d 1931 in Chicago, married Jan Bryjak from Dlugopole. Her parents were Jan Cholewa and Franciszka Pawelczak. 5 known children, born in Dlugopole, emigrated to the US, lived in Chicago.

2) Katarzyna Zajac, b 1884 in Morawczyna, d May 1952 in Cook County, Illinois; married Franciszek Jozef Zajac from Pieniazkowice 1910 in Chicago. Her parents were Jan Zajac and Regina Majerczyk. Emigrated to the US/Chicago; seven known children, all born in Chicago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: