PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:38 pm      Post subject: Help with contacting state archives in Plock

This is my first trial and experience with contacting places in poland. I found Plock archive website off of the pradziad database. What or how is a good way to email them for a request for a death record? What should I include to hopefully get a good response? Can I email them or do I have to write and send a letter for a better response? LDS does not cover the years which I am looking for info. Is this usually a good place to start or should I go to the Diocese level first? The town that I need records from is Slubice, just west of Warsaw. Would the Diocese would be in Lowicz? Thank you for any help. I am sure I will have alot more questions.

Michael
James
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:42 pm      Post subject:

wisniewski98,

Yes, you can email the archive.
Place the courser on "Tips & Resources" in the MENU field, clik on Polish State Archives. This will give you information for communication with a Polish State Archive. The info was originally for mailing letters to an archive, but it is still helpful for emails.
At the bottom of the page, clik on the link for Polish State Archive web sites, and you will find email address'.

Provide all of the information you have; names, dates, locations, gender, etc....
Provide all of the info you would like copies of; birth , marriage, death, etc...
The archives are all different in their response time. I've had them reply as soon as the next day, and some have come several weeks later.

If the town you are searching is not located in the archive, they will tell you so, and MAY direct you to the proper archive.

I hope this helps you, and good luck!
James
wisniewski98

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:27 pm      Post subject:

Thanks for the help James. One more quick question, probably a dumb question but I have to ask. Do I have to write to the archives in polish of english?
James
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:19 pm      Post subject: polish archive

wisniewski98,

No, you do not need to write them in Polish , you can write to them in English, BUT, they will reply in Polish!
I have found that "Google Language Tools" is very easy for me, to do translations. Just " copy + paste ". Wink
There are various other sites that perform language translations, and you can find some of them mentioned here, at PO.

And, there are no " dumb " questions.
Everyone here at Polish Origins, have at one time or another, asked all of the same questions that you ask, or will ask. Smile
It 's just that some people have been researching their family for many years, and some are just starting.
I have found that somebody here will be able to answer just about any question that could be imagined.
Most want to share their experiences and use them as a help for others. So don't hesitate to ask.

I wish you all the best as you begin to look for your family.

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: