PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:48 am      Post subject: Ruszczyk in Ostroleka

Hi!
I have been trying to find my Polish ancestors for about 8 years now and have not gone any further. My ancestor Leopold Ruszczyk came to Connecticut in the early 1900s with his wife and his daughter (daughter was born in London). I went to the funeral home and the local Polish church and they gave me information I already knew. The funeral home had an obituary of Leopold Ruszczyk stating that he was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Ruszczyk. I tried to find more information on Anthony Ruszczyk but I could not find anything. I was wondering if finding information of ancestors from Ostroleka is without hope since the Germans literally burned everything?
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:05 am      Post subject: Re: Ruszczyk in Ostroleka

submarinersangel wrote:
Hi!
I have been trying to find my Polish ancestors for about 8 years now and have not gone any further. My ancestor Leopold Ruszczyk came to Connecticut in the early 1900s with his wife and his daughter (daughter was born in London). I went to the funeral home and the local Polish church and they gave me information I already knew. The funeral home had an obituary of Leopold Ruszczyk stating that he was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Ruszczyk. I tried to find more information on Anthony Ruszczyk but I could not find anything. I was wondering if finding information of ancestors from Ostroleka is without hope since the Germans literally burned everything?

I don't know if this helps -- a girl named 'Elisey' Ruszyk died on 19 Jan 1911. She was two years old (born 1909) and the daughter of Leopold Ruszyck and Pauline, née Ciarmenska.
Source: Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I03104-5, System Origin: Connecticut-EASy, Source Film Number: 1311440, Reference Number: 90, Collection: Connecticut Deaths and Burials, 1772-1934.
There are also ship manifests for Michaly Ruszycki and Antoni Ruszycki who entered the United States through the port of New York. They are indexed under 'New York (all 1820-1957). I don't have access to these passenger records, but perhaps somebody else can check them for you for more details -- in case you don’t have this information already.
Ute
submarinersangel

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:56 pm      Post subject:

Ute,
I'm just stunned with what you found. His wife IS Pauline and I had trouble with verifying her last name because I had all different versions of spelling like for the hospital records it was Czamiewski, on her gravestone: Czarniewski. I only knew of one daughter: Lillian who was born in England around April 24, 1906. Leopold arrived to New York at January 5th, 1907 and his wife arrived a few months later. Where did you find those information if I may ask?
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:23 pm      Post subject:

Could this be your Leopold? You said he was from Ostroleka which is north of Warsawa, so would that have been part of Russia at this time? Or did you already know this Leopold piece?

He was married, age 24, last permanent residence was London England, going to a friend Pieter Darziewicz at 16 Central Ave., Norwich, CT As indexed on EllisIsland.org:

First Name: Leopold
Last Name: Rushek
Ethnicity: Russia Polish
Last Place of Residence: England
Date of Arrival: Jan 05, 1907
Age at Arrival: 24y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: New York
Port of Departure: Southampton
Manifest Line Number: 0025

There is an Anton Ruczycki age 40 who arrived Dec. 5, 1909 but he was from Skoryki Austria (which is now in the Ukraine) and was going to Northampton PA
submarinersangel

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:54 pm      Post subject:

PolishLibrarian,

Yes, that is my Leopold. I personally am not sure if Ostroleka was part of Russia that time. I do know that our last name could be derived from Russia because supposedly it means son of Russia or some kind of plant in Poland?
I don't know why Leopold was in England for a few years and I don't know who this Pieter Darziewicz person is.
I am not sure if his father even came to America. I can't seem to go further than Leopold. I don't know if he had siblings. I do know he was a locksmith in Ostroleka.
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:36 am      Post subject:

submarinersangel wrote:
Where did you find those information if I may ask?

I searched for Ruszczyk resp. Ruszyk at
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=0
and found the information I sent you at
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=recordResults&searchType=close&collection=fs%3A1674748&surname=Ruszyk

Sometimes there is a black rectangular box at the left side of the search results which means that there is also a microfilmed record that you can download. A very helpful database, and it is all free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: