PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:35 pm      Post subject: Baptism,death Habina in Lipnica Wielka 1850-1900

How would I find baptism and death records for the Habina and Karkoska families who lived in Lipnica Wielka from about 1850 through 1900. The village at the time was called Alsolipnica and was in the kingdom of Hungary; I believe the county was originally Arva, but in Poland was renamed Orowa or Orova.

Andrew Habina (birth date unknown) was a carpenter, and fell to his death while working on a church roof working on a cross. His son Ignacz, also a carpenter, claims his birth year as 1879. Family hearsay is that Ignacz left home at 14 to work in other countries to broaden his skill. He was the 5th child of 11 born to the family.

Ignacz was my grandfather, and he changed his name to James Harbin sometime after he came to the U.S., but both names Habina and Harbin (and both first names) appear on various records in the U.S.

Ignacz met and married Ludwina/Lena? Karkoska in Philadelphia. She had also been born in "Alsolipnica, Hungary", but the two young people never met until both had immigrated to the US around 1900. They married at St. Stanislaus Church in Philadelphia in 1902, and later belonged to St. John Nepomucene church which had mostly Slovak members.

If you have any information about either family (Habina or Karkoska) from that time period, please let me know!
Also, I believe the family may have been Roman Catholic, and in America I know they read a newspaper published in the Slovak language, and assume (right or wrong) it was printed in the U.S.
faw113

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:15 am      Post subject: Habina

I am not sure I will be of any help. My great-grandfather, Jan Habina, lived in Dzianisz, which is about 30 minutes from where you say Andrew Habina was from. I do not know much about my great grandfather, expect that he immigrated to America in 1908 through Ellis Island. He never really spoke of any relatives (parents or siblings) to my grandmother, but I can not believe that he was an only child. Maybe we could share records and see if there are any relations?

Fiona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: