PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 14

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:30 pm      Post subject: Looking for proper spelling of a Polish Town in Obituary...

First of all, thanks for all the help in the past with Polish names and history. I hit the mother load of genealogy and found a 1928 Obituary for my Great Grandfarther's Sister. It came about from an ancestry DNA match, and upon following through I found a sister Waleria Nickowal Groblicka and actually got the name of the town he may have been from.

The farther was Joseph Nickowal and mother Magdalena or Margaret Dunaj. Neither immigrated to the US with their children as far as I can tell.

They had a number of children, including Jan Nickowal (1866) (my GGF), Waleria Groblicka (1878), Jacub Nickowal (1878), Mary Nickowal Kwolek (1883), and Stephanie Nickowal Groblicki (1885). I believe John Groblici and Frank Groblicki were also from the area as they both married Nickowal sisters after they immigrated to the US.

Jacub's Nickowal's obituary mentions he may have served in the Polish Infantry, although as far as I can tell he arrived around 1908, Jan (my GGF) around 1905. Waleria was probably the first one to immigrate and moved to Chicope, MA in he 1900's.

I was wondering if anyone had an idea of where a town mentioned in Waleria's 1928 obituary might be in modern Poland.

It says she was from Wishniak (in Obituary) or Wisnowo (Death Record) Poland depending on the source record.

Her parents are listed as from Stipina, Poland and Glinik, Poland on her death record and my great grand farther Jan Nickowal has Strougowa, Poland listed as his place of birth on his place of birth on his death record.

Any suggestions on the correct Polish spellings of these towns, and if they might still exist?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have been able to dig up much more info through DNA matches and old obituaries and hoping I can get a town they came from.

1936_NBPL_NBST_Obituary_Jacub_Niekowal_Zoom_HL.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.77 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1936_NBPL_NBST_Obituary_Jacub_Niekowal_Zoom_HL.jpg

1928_NBDR_Waleria_Nickowal_small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  402.52 KB

1928_NBDR_Waleria_Nickowal_small.jpg

1928_UMD_NBES_Obituary_Valeria_Nickowal_Groblicka_Zoom_small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.37 KB

1928_UMD_NBES_Obituary_Valeria_Nickowal_Groblicka_Zoom_small.jpg

Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:17 pm      Post subject: Re: Looking for proper spelling of a Polish Town in Obituary

NB_Roots wrote:
First of all, thanks for all the help in the past with Polish names and history. I hit the mother load of genealogy and found a 1928 Obituary for my Great Grandfarther's Sister. It came about from an ancestry DNA match, and upon following through I found a sister Waleria Nickowal Groblicka and actually got the name of the town he may have been from.

The farther was Joseph Nickowal and mother Magdalena or Margaret Dunaj. Neither immigrated to the US with their children as far as I can tell.

They had a number of children, including Jan Nickowal (1866) (my GGF), Waleria Groblicka (1878), Jacub Nickowal (1878), Mary Nickowal Kwolek (1883), and Stephanie Nickowal Groblicki (1885). I believe John Groblici and Frank Groblicki were also from the area as they both married Nickowal sisters after they immigrated to the US.

Jacub's Nickowal's obituary mentions he may have served in the Polish Infantry, although as far as I can tell he arrived around 1908, Jan (my GGF) around 1905. Waleria was probably the first one to immigrate and moved to Chicope, MA in he 1900's.

I was wondering if anyone had an idea of where a town mentioned in Waleria's 1928 obituary might be in modern Poland.

It says she was from Wishniak (in Obituary) or Wisnowo (Death Record) Poland depending on the source record.

Her parents are listed as from Stipina, Poland and Glinik, Poland on her death record and my great grand farther Jan Nickowal has Strougowa, Poland listed as his place of birth on his place of birth on his death record.

Any suggestions on the correct Polish spellings of these towns, and if they might still exist?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have been able to dig up much more info through DNA matches and old obituaries and hoping I can get a town they came from.

Hi,

As one of the marriages I have found in Family Search mentions Austria, then my best shot is the places now in podkarpackie province (that was then Galicia):
Stempin and Wisniowa (on the right side of Stempin)
Gliniki
Pstragówka (what was read as Strougowa).

Gilberto

Capturar.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  141.62 KB

Capturar.JPG

Last edited by Magroski49 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:08 pm      Post subject: Re: Looking for proper spelling of a Polish Town in Obituary

NB_Roots wrote:

Jakob, Maria, Waleria came together (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C95S-R36B?i=422&cc=1368704) I read Waleria's birth place as Markuszowa: Jakob was born in Wisniowa (see my previous post). I can't make out the name of the place Maria was born.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
NB_Roots

Replies: 14

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:31 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much for all the help, I am amazed that one obituary can solve so many mysteries I have been working on for so long. I have gone through so many Groblicki's, Dunaj's, Olzoswy's, Byk, Wilk, Kwolek, Sundj's, Gryss's, on the off chance one cousin will get me to the right town. All these surnames keep coming together, and my DNA matches on the my Paternal Great grandfarther and maternal great grandmother all seem to also match each other, as if many of them were from the same area.

That is indeed my Jacub Nickowal, my great grandfather Jan Nickowal's brother, but that Waleria is Jacob Nickowal's daughter, and his wife was a Mary Tomavzowska. Waleria Nickowal later marries a "Gryss", and it often confused me when I first started researching my tree. The fact that Jacob was from Wisniowa ties it together.

Jacub was the brother who's obituary says he was in the Polish Infantry before world war I.

I am embarrassed I never found that immigration record.

Waleria Nickowal Groblicki from the obituary seems to have immigrated in 1895, and first lived in Chicopee, Massachusetts. I know I also have DNA matches in western Massachusetts from the Dunaj side (not sure the polish spelling).

She must have immigrated to some where other people close to where family also moved to, maybe Dunaj's from mother's side. I have to start checking Chicopee for the common surnames I keep seeing with our family.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: