PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:30 pm      Post subject: “After bread: A story of Polish emigrant life to America.”

I have just read and enjoyed a book that fits with our topic of emigration: Henryk Sienkiewicz: “After bread: A story of Polish emigrant life to America.” New York: R. F. Fenno & Co., 1897. Translated from the Polish by Vatslaf A. Hlasko and Thomas H. Bullick.
Some of you may have read it already, but I wanted to share it with those who don't know it yet and let you know that the entire book can be read online for free here:
http://pds.lib.harvard.edu/pds/view/4656556
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:24 am      Post subject: Krakau - Hamburg - New York

For those interested in what our ancestors’ life was like and what led them to emigrate -- please have a(nother) look at this interesting link
http://polishorigins.com/public/pictures/krakow_hamburg_america.asf
that Zenon has provided in April 2007 at http://polishorigins.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:34 am      Post subject: Interesting books/websites on emigration/immigration

I would like to share with you a link to an interesting site with a wealth of literature for those interested in immigration to the United States. You can find it at:
http://ocp.hul.harvard.edu/immigration/topics.html
The site provides some interesting material on emigration/immigration that can be read online for free. You can browse topics by Category and Region, and when you click on "link" in the search results list that appears it takes you to the book you’re interested in. Enjoy!
Ute

Last edited by Ute on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:33 am; edited 3 times in total
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:51 pm      Post subject:

Ute~ What a great resource. I found here a report I had read about in the book "American Passage: The History of Ellis Island" by Vincent J. Cannato. In Cannato's book he talks about an American who travelled to Ellis Island as though he were an immigrant, reporting on the conditions aboard the ship, etc. That report published in 1904 is at this Harvard site. The report is "Imported Americans: The Story of the Experiences of a Disguised American and His Wife Studying the Immigration Question" by Broughton Brandenburg. It includes 64 illustrations from photographs by the author.
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:29 am      Post subject:

PolishLibrarian wrote:
That report published in 1904 is at this Harvard site. The report is "Imported Americans: The Story of the Experiences of a Disguised American and His Wife Studying the Immigration Question" by Broughton Brandenburg. It includes 64 illustrations from photographs by the author.

Hi PolishLibrarian,
Thanks for alerting me to that great report! I’ve been reading some books lately about emigration that are available online, but hadn't seen this one yet. It holds a lot of information and interesting illustrations for those who want to learn more about emigration and the life of immigrants after arriving in America.
Ute
jackiewisniewski

Replies: 51

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:29 am      Post subject:

Thank you for sharing Ute! Very Happy
Send e-mail
Visit poster's website
mportney

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:29 pm      Post subject: emmigrants from 1908-1915

Your information was a real eye opener.
Can you tell me about the emmigrants from the years 1908 thru 1915.I am trying to look for ancestors .Any help or direction would be appreciated.I do have the ship and the port ancestors left from but where do I go now
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1000

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:34 pm      Post subject:

PolishLibrarian wrote:
Ute~ What a great resource. I found here a report I had read about in the book "American Passage: The History of Ellis Island" by Vincent J. Cannato. In Cannato's book he talks about an American who travelled to Ellis Island as though he were an immigrant, reporting on the conditions aboard the ship, etc. That report published in 1904 is at this Harvard site. The report is "Imported Americans: The Story of the Experiences of a Disguised American and His Wife Studying the Immigration Question" by Broughton Brandenburg. It includes 64 illustrations from photographs by the author.

I am also interested in this book! Thanks for the tip. For others who are interested, here is the link to the book - Imported Americans: The Story of the Experiences of a Disguised American and His Wife Studying the Immigration Question.
http://pds.lib.harvard.edu/pds/view/3294751
polgal

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:20 pm      Post subject:

Hi,
I am new to Polish Origins & this is my first post. My ancestors come from Poland & Galicia (now Ukraine). I recently found out that some of them went to America in late 19th & early 20th century. I found a great site with wonderful illustrations about emigration. I would like to share them with everyone. Please forgive me if you already know about it. If you don't then please find link below. Please enjoy.
Polgal.
http://www.maggieblanck.com/Immigration.html
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:36 am      Post subject: A great site with wonderful illustrations about emigration

polgal wrote:
Hi,
I am new to Polish Origins & this is my first post. My ancestors come from Poland & Galicia (now Ukraine). I recently found out that some of them went to America in late 19th & early 20th century. I found a great site with wonderful illustrations about emigration. I would like to share them with everyone. Please forgive me if you already know about it. If you don't then please find link below. Please enjoy. Polgal. http://www.maggieblanck.com/Immigration.html

Another interesting site with more information and beautiful illustrations - thank you very much for sharing it with us! Please keep us updated on your progress researching your immigrant ancestors and don't hesitate to ask if you have questions or need any help with your research.
Ute
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:32 pm      Post subject:

I just stumbled across a link to this virtual exhibition "Leaving Europe: A New Life in America." Although not specific to Polish emigration, it touches on the many reasons for emigration and the experiences of different ethnic groups through brief text and images. Thought it might be of interest to our members. Here is the link: http://exhibitions.europeana.eu/exhibits/show/europe-america-en
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 231

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:38 pm      Post subject:

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Emigration All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: