PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:05 pm      Post subject: Wiktorowski, Dyjak, Rys, Ginska, Golonka, Machnick, Zboch

I am searching for information concerning my grandparents. My grandfather is Joseph Walenty Wiktorowski. His parents were listed as Nicholaus and Catherine Ginska on his marriage certificate to my grandmother. My grandmother is Apolonia Dyjak. Her parents were Thomas Dyjak and Anna Rys. The place I listed comes from my research on my grandmother. I have traced her line back to Martinus Rys (b. abt. 1773) and Marianna Golonka (b. abt. 1775). Though I have very little information on them. My grandfather, on the other hand, I can find nothing. He has been listed as Joseph, Walenty, Valentine and Valcutine, last name Wiktorowski, Wicktorovski, Wigtorowski and finally Victor. He was born about 1882 and has been listed to be Polish, Austrian, Galician on various US census. Social Security lists him as Joseph Victor and Valentine Victor. He and my grandmother were married in Manhattan, New York in 1906. On the marriage certificate he is listed as Valentine Wiktorowski. He died in 1930, when my mother was 13 yrs old, in Manhattan, NY. His deather certificate lists him as Valenty Victor. My grandmother, Apolonia Dyjak, was originally named as such on her baptism records from the Tarno Roman Cahtolic Discese Church Books, 1612-1900. She was born in 1885. The ship manifest in 1902 had her listed as Apolonia Diak and Apolonia Diok. Her marriage certificate has her listed as Apolonia Dyak. In the 1910 census whe was Apolonia Victor and in 1930 her name was listed as Pauline Victor. Social Security has her listed as Pauline Dyjak and Pauline Dojeck. She died in 1934, (when my mother was 16) and was listed as Pauline Victor on her death certificate. Fortunately, I have put all those pieces together. My mother remembered somethings about her parents but spoke nothing about her grandparents.
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:30 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

Can you please be more specific about what you are looking to find? For example, Do you need to find particular record in Poland for a particular person? If so, do you know the name of the village in Poland where that person was born?

I am happy for you that you already have so much information on your family, but it is difficult to know how to help without a specific request.

All the best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
phillipspc

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:59 am      Post subject: Wiktorowski, Dyjak, Rys, Ginska, Golonka, Machnick, Zboch

Cynthia,

Thank you for your reply. Honestly, I am looking for anything that could point me in the right direction. I have no documents specifically stating where my Grandfather was born. The US census states Austria-Poland and Poland. His first son's birth certificate lists Galicia. I have done some research on the Wiktorowski family history (Wiktorowski- Family Website) trying to begin to pinpoint something, but so far no luck. If it hadn't listed his father and mother on his wedding certificate, I would truly begin to believe he was an alien from another planet! I guess at best, I might be asking for any hints as to websites, etc. that could be beneficial to do more research. I am on Ancestry, Family Search, Heritage and several sites dedicated to Poland and Austria. Plus, I have done Y-DNA testing (my brother) and mtDNA through FTDNA and DNA through Ancestry. I am now on DNA GEDCOM.

Thank you again for taking the time to write me. I wish I could tell you more.

Sincerely,
Trish

mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:10 pm      Post subject:

Hi Trish,

Here is what I suggest in order to find his village of birth in Galicia (Austria, Poland):

1. The 1930 census indicates he had filed first papers for naturalization. You can contact New York State and request a search for his citizenship papers. His application will likely have his date and location of birth.

2. If he held a particular faith tradition, I.e., Catholic, you can contact the Diocese of Manhattan and request his marriage record.It May have the information.

3. Since you have his marriage date, you can contact the civil records office in Manhattan and request a copy of his marriage license application. The application often has date and place of birth as well as parent names.

4. Since you have his date of death, you can contact the Manhattan civil records office and request a copy of his death certificate. Sometimes date and place of birth is on that record, but not always. You will have a better chance of finding it on the marriage application or citizenship papers.

I know this takes extra work, but at this point you need to contact agencies directly rather than relying on online resources.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your research!

Cynthia
Send e-mail
phillipspc

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:24 pm      Post subject: Wiktorowski, Dyjak, Rys, Ginska, Golonka, Machnick, Zboch

Cynthia,

Thank you for all the suggestions. I do have a copy of my grandfather's death certificate. Two things you have brought to my attention. One, it has been a while since I looked at the death certificate and the parent's listed were names different that those on the marriage certificate (per what I have seen on line). Second, as many times as I have looked at the 1930 census, I did not take the "applied" serious enough. For those two things, I am truly and grateful. I will continue to follow your suggestions and see if I can gather new information. I appreciate the time you have invested in helping me pursue my grandfather.

Sincerely,
Trish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: