PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Pennsylvania coal miners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:22 am      Post subject:

Marie--I appreciate your offer! I was lucky to have someone from the Catholic Diocese in Kent, PA, look up the baptismal records of my mother and aunt from Holy Cross Church in Iselin. I am most perplexed about the time between emigration and the 1920 census--in particular the years from 1904 to 1918. These baptismal records are the only proof I have, as no birth certificates exist. My grandparents, Stanislaw (Stanley) and Anna (Gregoric) Momot met somewhere in the US, married and had two children in the Iselin area, then moved to Illinois by 1918 where my uncle was born. Thanks for the suggestion of the other coal mines. [I should add that these are my genetic grandparents, as I am adopted.]
Marie

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:20 pm      Post subject:

If they married in Indiana County, PA I would be glad to look up the records at the courthouse --Only if u would like me to. I actually belong to the Church of The Good Shepherd in Kent. Also, if u have names, we have a historical society in Indiana that has quite a few copies of incidents that happened back then and they are categorized by Surname. If u think I can be of any help, let me know.
James
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:54 am      Post subject:

Pennsylvania coal mining has been a mystery for me since I first found the Ellis Island manifest for my great grandfather, Antoni Cybulski.
Antoni came into N.Y. in April 1906, with $7 in his pocket, and his work background was in carpentry and farming.
The mystery begins with the person he was to meet.
The manifest states that Antoni was going to meet his " cousin Wladjslaw (?) Zlakowski , Box #3, Ashley, Pa. ".
There is no info about any cousins or other relations being in the USA or coming to the USA. Antoni's son Antoni jr., my great uncle ( whom I knew ) told family that no other family had ever come to USA. There are no records that I have found, to dispute what he said. Of course that info could be incorrect if Antoni jr. had not been told of other family being in USA.
What adds to the mystery is more info on the manifest.
The line just above my great grandfather states that a Jozef Pasdik , also from Poland, was going to meet a friend " Zouras Zlakowski , at 3 Ashley st., Luzurne, Pa."
I found an Ashley , Pa. very close to Luzurne , Pa. , Both are in the east Pa. mining area.
I was not able to find my great grandfather in Ashley or Luzurne between 1906 and 1909. I have info to verify that Antoni was living in Brooklyn, NY in 1909, until he moved to NJ in 1917.
My thought is that my great grandfather needed to have someone to meet him or he might be denied access to NY, so he used the info from Jozef Pasdik, with a slight difference in name and address.
I have searched the sites noted in this discussion and have found a Cybulski; John Cybulsky, miner, ca. 1914, Lucerne #3 , Indiana Co., Pa.
There is no " John Cybulsky " in my family, and the date conflicts with Antoni living in Brooklyn, NY.

Now to add to the confusion.
The 1920 US Census has my great grandparents living in Colts Neck, NJ ( which I know to be accurate ) There is Julia, my great grandmother with their children Antoni jr, Frank ( my grandfather), and Genevieve. BUT my great grandfathers name is listed as " John" not Antoni, on the census. I have always thought that the census taker probably talked with my Great grandmother, Julia , who did not speak English and had a limited understanding of English her whole life, and that he understood her to say " John " as her husbands name. I've been told that the Polish " nickname " for Antoni sounds similar to " John ".
So I have always thought that this mystery was the example of how you can encounter misinformation and false information in your research.
Thankfully this is not very important info in my search.
DaveP

Replies: 15

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:05 am      Post subject:

James, welcome to the official 'miner's confusion' club! On my grandfather Andrzej Pacek's arrival manifest from June 1900, it states that his destination is 'brother Wasil Pacek' in Connellsville, PA. A month or two later, the 1900 census lists him as a boarder in a town near Connellsville, occupation miner. The household has numerous other miner-boarders, including some who I think are relatives of Andrzej's future wife. No sign of 'brother Wasil', or any other Pacek for that matter. Nobody in the family has ever heard of a Wasil, nor is there any sign of him in any record that I've been able to track down. I suspect that much of this stuff was simply invented just for the sake of getting through the paperwork. The age listed on the manifest also shows him as a couple years older than future census records, draft registration, insurance forms, and death certificate.

Dave P

Last edited by DaveP on Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
James
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:41 am      Post subject:

Dave P
Thanks for the induction into the " club ". Wink
I'd prefer to be in the club where every bit of information that I would ever need is given to me all at once. If you know of this club, let me know.
Arlene Vic

Replies: 40

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:44 pm      Post subject:

carol329 wrote:
This file of accidents is great, Shellie,
Do you know of any links/files of who was employed at which mines?
I am trying to find out which mines both of my grandfathers worked.
One was from Middleport, Pa; and the other was from Mahanoy City, Pa.
Thanks - beginning to really like the Polishorigins site!
Carol

Sorry for waiting too long to ask you questions. How can I find out if my Great Grandfather Sebastian worked at Miner in Hastings, Pa.
I heard he may have changed his name which is why I can't find him. He left Poland around 1880's when my grandfather was little. (My Grandfather was born in 1881) His father left family behind and settled in Hastings or Altoona, Pa.

Any information would be appreciations.
Send e-mail
Arlene Vic

Replies: 40

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:54 pm      Post subject:

I meant to say my Grand father Andrew Waksmundzki may have keeping in touch with his father in PA.
Send e-mail
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:32 am      Post subject:

While reading today's genealogy news I found out that this evening (May 11, Fri) on NBC American viewers will have chance to watch the next Who Do You Think You Are series episode with Jason Sudeiskis.

I am posting this information in this thread because according to the episode description the family search journey "brings Jason to the coal mines of Pennsylvania" http://www.nbc.com/who-do-you-think-you-are/video/jason-sudeikis/1400023?auto=true .

Have a good time Exclamation
Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:26 am      Post subject:

Zenon wrote:
While reading today's genealogy news I found out that this evening (May 11, Fri) on NBC American viewers will have chance to watch the next Who Do You Think You Are series episode with Jason Sudeiskis.

I am posting this information in this thread because according to the episode description the family search journey "brings Jason to the coal mines of Pennsylvania" http://www.nbc.com/who-do-you-think-you-are/video/jason-sudeikis/1400023?auto=true .

Have a good time Exclamation

I cannot see the show until tomorrow but I viewed a clip of it, Sudeikis family lived in the "Back of the Yards too!
Send e-mail
Georgia

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:39 am      Post subject:

Thanks, Shellie, and add my great grandpa to the coal miner's list. His name is Peter Kiebles from Gronkow. He died in a mining accident as did so many others. I don't know where, but his last child was born in Scranton PA. After his death his wife Anna took Ludwik, Franciszek, and Julianna back to Gronkow. The three children all returned to the Chicago area when they were in their teens. They married and raised families in the Back of the Yards.
typeogirl

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:39 pm      Post subject:

Just wanted to add my two cents:

Carol329, I found multiple "articles/websites" to learn about the experience of Eastern European immigrants experience coming to the mining areas and building a new life.... Here are just a few but you can google a few key words and find a wealth of information.

http://www.nohum.k12.ca.us/tah/maprojects/Crispin.pdf

http://www.lithuaniangenealogy.org/articles/PA/whypenn.html

http://www.carpathorusynsociety.org/Publications/NEPA_brochure.pdf

http://patheoldminer.rootsweb.ancestry.com/church.html

The list goes on and on. Enjoy!
typeogirl

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:40 pm      Post subject:

James wrote:
Dave P
Thanks for the induction into the " club ". Wink
I'd prefer to be in the club where every bit of information that I would ever need is given to me all at once. If you know of this club, let me know.

James, highly amusing! Laughing If you decide to found this club, I will be your VP.

typeogirl
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:54 pm      Post subject:

Thanks everyone for sharing your information. Keep posting your comments!

I just found a really interesting forum about Anthracite Coal Miners of Eastern PA

http://www.city-data.com/forum/northeastern-pennsylvania/1154848-anthracite-coal-miners-eastern-pa.html
Kathleen123

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:28 pm      Post subject: Mahanoy City coal mines

My grandfather, Stephen Zwolinski, arrived from Poland in 1912 and worked in the Mahanoy City coal mines until 1916. How can I find out which mining companies existed at that time, and which company he worked for? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Kathleen
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:03 pm      Post subject: Re: Mahanoy City coal mines

Kathleen123 wrote:
My grandfather, Stephen Zwolinski, arrived from Poland in 1912 and worked in the Mahanoy City coal mines until 1916. How can I find out which mining companies existed at that time, and which company he worked for? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Kathleen

If you have specific information about Zwolinski familiy, Kathleen created a thread at:
http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=1446

Kathleen,
Have you read this article:
http://files.usgwarchives.net/pa/schuylkill/history/local/mahanoycity/Collieries.txt

Did you check the list of mining injuries/fatalities at the link earlier in this thread? If he was hurt in the mine and it was documented, the name of the mine is usually included.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Page 3 of 7

Jump to: