PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Pennsylvania coal miners
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:46 pm      Post subject: Pennsylvania coal miners

Carol329 wrote on another thread:

...I just received my aunt's birth record and found that my grandparents were peasant farmers from Wydmusy-northeast of Warsaw. My other set of grandparents were fromStazkowka in the Austrian section. Their families began emigrating in the 1880,s and would love to understand what they all went through. Interestingly enough both sets of grandparents settled in the coal mining region of Pennsylvania and were all coal miners.

Researching Dombroski, Wisniewski, Schabowski

Welcome Carol329 to Polish Origins!

I'm so happy to meet a new member and fellow grandchild of coal mining polish immigrants. My grandfathers also mined coal in PA - in Washington and Westmoreland Counties.

I look forward to hearing from you when you have a chance to start reading "The Nation in the Village". The book discussion can be found at: http://polishorigins.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=32

Shellie

Last edited by Shellie on Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
Malutka

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:59 pm      Post subject: PA

...and you can add me to that list of Pennsylvania coal miners. My relatives—both the Polish and Lithuanians— settled in the Hazleton, PA area. ALL of the men were coal miners.

It makes me wonder if there was some recruiting by the coal mine owners going on in Eastern Europe...

May
carol329

Replies: 13

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:04 am      Post subject:

That is exactly what I was wondering. Both sets of grandparents settled in Schuykill County (Mahanoy City and Middleport) and were families of coal miners. I am trying to find out which mines my paternal gf worked in but I cannot find ss records nor draft registration records for him.....hmmm. Question
Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:44 pm      Post subject:

I know that when my great-grandfather first came to the US, the man he was meeting was an acquaintance - which I read to mean "recruiter." Carol329, did you find census records for your paternal gf?
carol329

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:12 pm      Post subject:

That is interesting, Shellie.
My grandfather Stanislaw arrived the first time in 1903 and was headed to his brother Jan, who already was in Mahanoy City. Maybe his brother was "recruited" and then all the other brothers came across. I think he really stayed in Shenandoah for his first stay here. I don't exactly remember why I think that but some record must have stated it. My grandfather went back to Poland at some point and then returned to the US/Mahanoy City a second time in 1910. I guess he went back home to prepare his family for the voyage. I tried to find his ship record back to Poland but no luck. Three months later, Sept 1910, his wife Franciszka, daughter (6yrs) and son (6months old) came across with a man from the same town. This man turned out to be Franciszka's brother-in-law and he is on the daughter's birth record in Poland as being a witness to the birth. I can't find them on any census until 1930 in Mahanoy City, even though my father's birth certificate (1912) states he was born at the address that I find them all in in 1930. Puzzles....always puzzles.
Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:58 pm      Post subject:

My g-grandfather went back to Poland 3 times before the rest of the family came to the US. I was really surprised to find this - and so was the rest of my family.

About the census - have you ever tried to work backword with the 1920 census? Since you have the address, you can narrow down the sections of the census to the enumeration district where your family resided. Many census takers wrote the name of the street in the left margin, which is extremely helpful. I have found several "lost' family members by using this method. But be warned, it can be a tedious exercise.

So was it Mahanoy City where you are looking?

I narrowed down the mines where my g-grandfather may have worked by searching this site: http://patheoldminer.rootsweb.ancestry.com/

I found some interesting stories about coal mining at the Carpathian Connection at: http://www.tccweb.org/penncoal.htm. The stories are mostly centered around Panther Valley, and Schuylkill and Carbon counties.

Scroll down further in this thread to my message about the list of miner's involved in mining accidents in the state of PA.

Watch a movie by the Thomas Edison company in 1904 on coal mining in Pennsylvania. It's not of great quality, but it is still exciting to watch a film produced during our great-grandfathers' mining days! See it here: http://tinyurl.com/mining1904

2087t.jpeg
 Description:
Photo from 1904 movie - to watch movie go to http://tinyurl.com/mining1904
 Filesize:  33.01 KB
 Viewed:  23947 Time(s)

2087t.jpeg

Last edited by Shellie on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
akarcz

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:12 pm      Post subject: Blair County mines

My great grandfather worked at the Glen White mine in Blair County, not far from Horseshoe Curve and Cambria County. I believe there was at least one other mine in the area, Baker's Mine. I have been trying to learn more about life at Glen White and would appreciate any information. Anita
DaveP

Replies: 15

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:16 am      Post subject:

Brand new here, and very glad to find others with the same research interests. I've never known anything about my paternal family line other than my father's information, and decided recently that it was time to remedy that. Less than a month has passed, and thanks to the wonders of internet search, an ancestry.com membership, and an intense curiousity, I'm off to a good start.

My grandfather was Andrew (Andzrej?) Pacek. Census records show his immigration as 1900 from Galicia. In 1900 (apparently just after arrival) he was boarding with a Pittsburg family, with occupation listed as 'miner'. In 1905 he married Kostancija Burzcyk (Pittsburg records). He shows up in a coal miner memorial list as having been injured in 1906 while working at the Acme mines in Bentleyville, PA. My father was born there, and the family subsequently moved to northern Ohio.

I've been unable so far to find any firm documentation farther back than the 1900 census. I'm working on a possible tie to a Connecticut Pacek family. I've also got hints that seem to point to the area of Sanok (Dlugie/Nawosielice) as the home village.

More later, once I've got some time to explore here. It looks like a rich souorce of information.

Dave Pacek
Arlene Vic

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:26 pm      Post subject: Re: Pennsylvania coal miners

Shellie wrote:
Carol329 wrote on another thread:

...I just received my aunt's birth record and found that my grandparents were peasant farmers from Wydmusy-northeast of Warsaw. My other set of grandparents were fromStazkowka in the Austrian section. Their families began emigrating in the 1880,s and would love to understand what they all went through. Interestingly enough both sets of grandparents settled in the coal mining region of Pennsylvania and were all coal miners.

Researching Dombroski, Wisniewski, Schabowski

Welcome Carol329 to Polish Origins!

I'm so happy to meet a new member and fellow grandchild of coal mining polish immigrants. My grandfathers also mined coal in PA - in Washington and Westmoreland Counties.

I look
forward to hearing from you when you have a chance to start reading "The Nation in the Village". The book discussion can be found at: http://polishorigins.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=32

Shellie

Hi!
I was surprised you are writing about Pennsylvania Coal miners. My Great Grandfather Sebastian who left his wife and small children somewhere in 1880's or 1890. My Grandfather Andrew was born in 1881 and I do not know how old he was when his father left them for Pennsylvania as Coal Miner. How can I find his records (he may have change his name) I would like to know if he buried in PA. or went back home? I do know Great Grandfather w
Arlene Vic

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:39 pm      Post subject:

Oops, I seem can't make correction. I do know Great Grandfather went to Hastings or Altoona, PA. sometime. Thanks.

I do not know if he went to Chicago, IL too.
Malutka

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:59 pm      Post subject:

Arlene, what is your great grandfather's last name so I can look up some information for you.

May
Arlene Vic

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:05 pm      Post subject:

Malutka wrote:
Arlene, what is your great grandfather's last name so I can look up some information for you.

May

Hi Malutha,

My Great Grandfather is Sebastain Waksmundzki was supposed to go to Pennsylvania. I do not know if he changed his 1st name or last name.
I had help from others and seem like no one can't find him.

I found out we have lot of Waksmundzki living in Illinois. Some of them have different spellings. Someone told me they are also our family.
I am surprised about this informations 2 months ago.

Any help would be appreciated.
Ktsats

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:07 pm      Post subject: Coal miners from Pittston Pa

Hi, I just joined this web site and was interested in the coal mining connections. My great uncle Andrew Kozloski emigrated to Pittston in the 1890's followed by two brothers Victor and my grandfather Michael in 1898. They got out of the mines and ran a hotel, a bar and did house building in the Pittston,Plains and Taylor areas.
I believe that my grandmother was tHe niece of Andrew's wife Rose, according to info on the passenger's list.
Can anyone help me find birth records for these people. They came from Grodno and Proniski.
Shellie

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:42 pm      Post subject:

Hi Everyone! Anyone who has a miner-ancestor is probably wondering if he was ever in a mining accident.

This link will take you to the Pennsylvania state archives, where there is section on coal mining. http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=3183&&PageID=387335&level=5&parentCommID=3183&menuLevel=Level_5&mode=2

You can look through some of the information, but most of it must be accessed by going to the archives. However, there is a list of mining accidents there that was donated to the archives by Jerry Sherard in 2009/2010 at the link below. It is not complete, but there are tons of names!

http://www.phmc.state.pa.us/bah/dam/rg/di/r45_MineAccidentRegisters/r45-14AccidentRegistersInterface.htm

Jerry Sherard posted the following message at Genealogy.com: http://www.genealogy.com/users/s/h/e/Jerry-Sherard/
I (Jerry Sherard) currently have about 480,000 mining accident records (fatal and nonfatal) covering most of the United States and some provinces in Canada and Australia. However, about 283,000 of the mine accident records are the state of Pennsylvania. The mining accident records are from the late 1800s through the early 1900s. I have knowledge of all major mine disasters in the US. I can provide advice on finding U.S. mine fatalities from the late 1960s and later.

The best way to contact me (Jerry Sherard) is through the web site www.raogk.com “Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness”. I continue to collect mining accident records, and the latest dates I have available, types of records and areas are posted on the raogk website. On the website click “Guidelines for making requests, read the terms, click “Lets go find a volunteer” select area of interest and look for Jerry.

I (Jerry Sherard) regularly check the 16 state mine board postings on http://boards.rootsweb.com/topics.occupations.mining/mb.ashx "Roots Web Mining Boards and Mining Categories - U.S.” By searching, one may find a helpful historical query. Any posting more than two years old probably has a bad email address link.
carol329

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:21 pm      Post subject:

This file of accidents is great, Shellie,
Do you know of any links/files of who was employed at which mines?
I am trying to find out which mines both of my grandfathers worked.
One was from Middleport, Pa; and the other was from Mahanoy City, Pa.
Thanks - beginning to really like the Polishorigins site!
Carol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Page 1 of 7

Jump to: