PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:24 am      Post subject: PGSA database

Hi,
The PGSA (Polish Genealogical Society of America) has a database of PRCUA Insurance Claim Records.
If one finds a name of interest in this database, is there access to the underlying documents?
The search results are in the form of a table, giving the person's name, claim date (which matches date of death), a claim number, the number of the society to which the person belonged, as well as a volume number and page number. If anyone has experience with obtaining further information for one of these insurance claims, I would be interested to learn about it.
Thanks,
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:06 am      Post subject: Re: PGSA database

Sophia wrote:
Hi,
The PGSA (Polish Genealogical Society of America) has a database of PRCUA Insurance Claim Records.
If one finds a name of interest in this database, is there access to the underlying documents?
The search results are in the form of a table, giving the person's name, claim date (which matches date of death), a claim number, the number of the society to which the person belonged, as well as a volume number and page number. If anyone has experience with obtaining further information for one of these insurance claims, I would be interested to learn about it.
Thanks,
Sophia

Hi Sophia,

To order the PRCUA Insurance Records File click on “Directory” and the scroll down to the letter F (Forms) and click on PRCUA Insurance Records Orders. That will open up the request form. Fill it out and return it via snail mail along with some hard earned cash ($10 for members; $15 for non members). After the society gets around to filling your order you’ll receive a packet with the entire file. There are also databases and order forms for Hallers Army files, Dziennik Chicagoski obits, Jubilee Book entries (not limited to Chi-town parishes, etc. Depending on how many files you want (and/or things like books, CDs, etc. you may want to purchase) it is more economical to join the PGSA and get the member prices.

Not all claims files which are indexed actually exist. Some were damaged/destroyed. It all depends on the luck of the draw. Years ago I ordered some claim files. Those which existed (like for one of my maternal grand aunts) contained ten or more docs. One I really wanted (for my paternal grandfather who died in 1920 at age 36) was among those which no longer existed. My grandmother was a widow with three kids (my dad was the oldest at 11 years old) and not long after my grandfather died she was able to purchase a house. I believe that she used some of the claim cash for a down payment and I’ve wondered what was the value of the claim. Unfortunately, with an empty file there are no answers.

I hope that you have good luck obtaining the file you want.

Dave
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:31 am      Post subject: Re: PGSA database

dnowicki wrote:
Sophia wrote:
Hi,
Thanks,
Sophia

Hi Sophia,

To order the PRCUA Insurance Records File click on “Directory” and the scroll down to the letter F (Forms) and click on PRCUA Insurance Records Orders. That will open up the request form. Fill it out and return it via snail mail along with some hard earned cash ($10 for members; $15 for non members). After the society gets around to filling your order you’ll receive a packet with the entire file. There are also databases and order forms for Hallers Army files, Dziennik Chicagoski obits, Jubilee Book entries (not limited to Chi-town parishes, etc. Depending on how many files you want (and/or things like books, CDs, etc. you may want to purchase) it is more economical to join the PGSA and get the member prices.

Not all claims files which are indexed actually exist. Some were damaged/destroyed. It all depends on the luck of the draw. Years ago I ordered some claim files. Those which existed (like for one of my maternal grand aunts) contained ten or more docs. One I really wanted (for my paternal grandfather who died in 1920 at age 36) was among those which no longer existed. My grandmother was a widow with three kids (my dad was the oldest at 11 years old) and not long after my grandfather died she was able to purchase a house. I believe that she used some of the claim cash for a down payment and I’ve wondered what was the value of the claim. Unfortunately, with an empty file there are no answers.

I hope that you have good luck obtaining the file you want.

Dave

Thanks, Dave, that is exactly what I needed to know. I doubt I would have realized that clicking on the directory would lead me to their list of forms; now all is clear. You make a very sensible suggestion to consider a PGSA membership. I should see what else might be there in some of their other databases, too, before I place my order.
All the best,
Sophia
Kim K

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:48 am      Post subject: Re: PGSA database

Sophia wrote:

Thanks, Dave, that is exactly what I needed to know. I doubt I would have realized that clicking on the directory would lead me to their list of forms; now all is clear. You make a very sensible suggestion to consider a PGSA membership. I should see what else might be there in some of their other databases, too, before I place my order.
All the best,
Sophia

Yeah, I don't know why they don't just link to the forms from the indexes instead of hiding them under "F"

Two notes on the Dziennik Chicagoski for obits or news-

Some of the issues (and other Polish-American newspapers) are available online and searchable via OCR at https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/

Pre-pandemic at least, PGSA allowed on site research certain days of the week and their print copies were fairly inexpensive, which helps if you need a lot or have questions about certain names.

And if you know you have family in the area--
Familysearch has a whole section of partly unindexed church records for Chicago, which combined with PGSA's marriage index can be useful.

Kim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: