PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 47

Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:07 am      Post subject:

Thank you, sir! Actually, I discovered an interesting fact while researching: my great-grandfather said he was married on 27 August 1909 - which in the Roman Catholic Church corresponds to the feast day of St Monica/ When I looked up St Monica, she apparently is the patroness of help for difficult marriages, infidelity, and spousal abuse. Then I found their marriage certificate and it listed their marriage as 28 September 1909. So I think it was rather a tongue-in-cheek thing, since their marriage was by report not happy and plagued with trouble.
walturbanek

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:52 am      Post subject:

More on the marriage age in Poland: In southern Poland (Galicia) which was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire military service was mandatory. Men were drafted at 20 for three years of service during which time they were not allowed to marry. So many men started searching for wives at the age of 23.
hannahblack26
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 47

Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:28 pm      Post subject:

We also have a family story that my great-grandfather was in the Imperial Russian military in Asia (which I took to mean either its invasion of Manchuria in 1894-5 or its war with Japan in 1904-5), but I wasn't sure if I would be able to access any military records. I figured that after the simultaneous revolts in Poland and Russia occurred, my great-grandparents (who lived in separate towns) fled and made their home in Pittsburgh, PA, where they later married. Pittsburgh was one of the titans of the steel industry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Emigration All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: