PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 31

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:26 pm      Post subject: Two more worthwhile Podhale/Gorale books:

Hello Bill,

My paternal grandparents were Gorales from Waksmund, so, I definitely had to join in at this topic you're hosting.... and am enjoying reading your (and other's growing contributions); and, here's one of my own:

I didn't see these posted and they're both cherished additions to my 'highlander' library--

1) Podhale/ A Companion Guide to the Polish Highlands (a delightful hike from village-to-village with the author, Jan Gutt-Mostowy and translated by Maria de Gorgey; c. 1997). I got it out of the library first, but was so taken with it, I had to buy my own copy.

Here's an Amazon.com review by one Shawn Marchinek of Rhode Island-- couldn't have summarized it better:

"I loved this book. My family heritage is from most of Northern Europe but I am fascinated by the Highland blood from Scotland through my Mother and by the Polish/Slovak of my Father. Marcinek is the original Polish family name and my family's ancestral village is just across the Polish border from Podhale in Slovakia. This book gives me a window into the life of my ancestors. Many things are strangely familiar to stories I have heard and traditions in the family. Jan Gutt-Mostowy and Maria De Gorgey have done a fine job of making this a little history of the Goral (Polish Highlander) rather than just a travel guide book. The book is split into 4 parts. The first is about the Highlands themselves and their settlement. The second is all about the Highlanders themselves with chapters on Agriculture, housing, dress, food, folklore, customs, art, songs and dance. The third part is the traveler's guide broken into different cities and regions in the Podhale with a rich mixture of history rolled into it. The fourth and final part is about the Polish Highlanders in America, the mass immigration and history up until today of a unique culture's attempt to survive in the new world. This book has renewed and fanned the love of my Father's ancestry and given me knew avenues and ideas to reclaim my heritage. This is an excellent book for anyone with an interest or links to the Tatra Mountain Region of Poland and Slovakia."

2) Highlander Polish-English Dictionary, also by Jan Gutt-Mostowy and translated by Miroslaw Lipinski; c. 1995 (a short but sweet-- and often colorful Laughing -- gathering of words from the Goralski dialect).

Both quite enjoyable reads!
PaniKohani

We are a continuum. Just as we reach back to our ancestors for our fundamental values, so we, as guardians of that legacy, must reach ahead to our children and their children. And we do so with a sense of sacredness in that reaching.

Paul Tsongas
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:04 pm      Post subject: Re: Two more worthwhile Podhale/Gorale books:

PaniKohani wrote:
Hello Bill,

My paternal grandparents were Gorales from Waksmund, so, I definitely had to join in at this topic you're hosting.... and am enjoying reading your (and other's growing contributions); and, here's one of my own:

I didn't see these posted and they're both cherished additions to my 'highlander' library.....
PaniKohani

I run my forum a little different than others. Yes I am very familiar as I have these books also. It is unfortunate that Jan passed in May of 2008, he had quite a knowledge of the Góral life. Waksmund has a lot of history especially during WWII. I'm going to post some info on this subject very soon. Have you posted your surnames from this area and a time frame of when they lived there? Do you have any records? Curious about the Kohani name also. Dzienki, Bill
Send e-mail
PaniKohani

Replies: 31

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:25 pm      Post subject: Re: Two more worthwhile Podhale/Gorale books:

[quote="Bill Rushin

"I run my forum a little different than others. Yes I am very familiar as I have these books also. It is unfortunate that Jan passed in May of 2008, he had quite a knowledge of the Góral life. Waksmund has a lot of history especially during WWII. I'm going to post some info on this subject very soon. Have you posted your surnames from this area and a time frame of when they lived there? Do you have any records? Curious about the Kohani name also. Dzienki, Bill"

Hi Bill,

Yes, I note the difference in approach (and that's great-- viva la differance)!
I hadn't heard this about Jan Gott-M...unfortunate indeed, as, beyond his knowledge of this unique Gorale culture, his writing style was fascinating, and I had looked forward to more of his work....

About Waksmund, yes, it seems every time I research it, the story of the important partisan movement of that village comes up; apparently, the Nazis invaded it and murdered a collective of residents there (and, in this regard, I wonder, on a personal note, what happened to my grandfather's younger brother. He had emigrated to the states in the early 1900s, just after my grandparents did, but soon went back, I assume to his home village of Waksmund. I wonder too, if he remained there through the war, and thus, might have been involved in what 'came down' there). I have no current facts about it, just pondering (which I hope aren't true because of what eventuated).... Well, I will be interested in reading what you have to post on this topic, as you mentioned you would be doing....

I've posted my surnames of interest at my profile, and under various related forum topics (such as Zenon's 'Waksmund' entry under Villages, as well as Chmielnik, Malawa, Rszezow, etc)-- just follow the PaniKohani trail Wink ...speaking of which--

I chose my username simply because I like the poetry of it (both its sound, and the meaning: MissLove). But, I don't speak or spell Polish (let alone, the Gorale dialect-- though I enjoyed hearing my dad and relations speak it, growing up-- a very sonorous dialect)! Anyway, only after I signed up with it, did I realize the mispelling-- but 'no going back' in correcting it, so, I attempted to correct my faux paux in this comment made to Ute (under the topic of 'Waksmund'):

'By the way, since you and Bill are using your own names here, I will give you that option too (besides, I realize I mispelled the Polish in concocting my username, but too late to change it: I guess it ought to be PanieKochanie instead of PaniKohani (and I'm sure it's different still, in Polish!)...anyway, you may also refer to me as, Stephanie, if you wish; whatever suits your fancy !' Alas, Bill, this is how PaniKohani came to be Razz

As to dates, the timeframe of these village entries would be that of most of our grandparents in Poland (basically the mid-1800s through the early 1900s--before the various huge immigrations to the U.S.). As to records, I have some (like some ship list records, some census, etc.), however, my gen research is rather hit-or-miss still, and I also rely on an intuitive and risk-taking approach: EX: if you go to my entry for 'Ciagwa' (on the Surname forum topic), you will see that this is an early ancestor from 1615-- I didn't come upon him by formal research, but, by surfing the web, emailing a 'stranger' who happened to have a derivative of my Polish surname, and when he responded he turned out to be my distant relative. Not only this, but he later uncovered this ancestor of ours (via a professional geneologist's research, from a book he read)! So, facts are what we're after, but hunches, intuition, the often so-called "anecdotal evidence" often turns up great treasure-- as it did in this case, for me. And, in addition, by posting this surname on this website, great evidence (as fact) was contributed by Ute (and my hat goes off to her research genius).

PaniKohani (aka. Stephanie)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish Gorals - Highlanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: