PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:57 pm      Post subject: Looking for Baczewski family

I have been working on my family tree for some time now, but just can't seem to be able to find any more information on my Polish family. I don't have much to go on. I have very little information. The name is Baczewski. My grandfather was Thomas ( his brother Steve) his father Marshal and mother Dortha Mollenski from Russia. Marshal was born around 1830 in Russia. Thomas and Steve were born in Poland. Thomas in 1882-1885; Steve in 1894. Tom married Sofia Szabrak and Steve married Hedwig (no last name). I can find no places in which they lived or any immigration information. Any help would be appreciated.
Send e-mail
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:18 pm      Post subject:

Hi, Did Tomas or Steve emigrate to America or another country? Maybe if you can provide some more details of what you already have in your research, it might ring a bell for someone on this forum.
embark

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:02 pm      Post subject:

The records I have found show that Thomas emigrated to the USA 1902, 1903 and 1904 these are from the 1910,1920 & 1930 census. They were in St. Louis, Missouri first, then in Illinois. Tom stayed in Illinois and was a coal miner. Steve was in Illinois for a while then moved to Texas where he farmer and later became the owner of a Shrimp boat.

I also found records that Sofia's sister Franciszka Frances Szabrak married Peter Szumski SUMSKI who was born 15 Jun 1888 in Augustow, Warwiszki, Poland.

I'm still looking for more. Thanks.
Send e-mail
Shellie

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:27 pm      Post subject:

Thomas' 1930 census record shows that he was naturalized.

If you have exhausted all of your possibilities, you might try the US Citizenship and Immigration Service. It's not cheap (about $65), but might be worth a try. Since Thomas was naturalized, they should be able to provide some records for you.

I was able to get some info on my great grandfathers through them.
To see what kind of records I got for my grandfather, who also was naturalized, see the USCIS posting here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=2820

Last edited by Shellie on Wed May 18, 2011 10:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Shellie

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:33 pm      Post subject:

Have you searched the records on FamilySearch.org? You can see some records for Steve and Thomas there. Steve's WWII draft card holds a clue on his birthplace: Lonza. Another Baczewski record shows a village name Lornza. I attached 2 images.

It is possible that this village is actually Lomza:
http://tinyurl.com/Lomza-Baczewskigoogle-search

Screen shot 2011-05-16 at 11.10.01 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  346.87 KB
 Viewed:  4981 Time(s)

Screen shot 2011-05-16 at 11.10.01 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-05-16 at 11.15.41 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.71 KB
 Viewed:  4981 Time(s)

Screen shot 2011-05-16 at 11.15.41 PM.png

embark

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:51 am      Post subject:

I have looked on the Family Search web. I did not find this record. I will look further. Thanks!
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: