PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Zabudowice Kr. Pol
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author

Replies: 9

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:40 pm      Post subject: Zabudowice Kr. Pol

I have a somewhat complicated question. I'm looking for my paternal grandfather's place of birth in Poland. I have 3 documents that have 3 different but similar looking locations. I can not find any of them. His marriage certificate from St. John's Cantius church in Chicago in 1913 states: Zabudowice Kr. Pol. (Kingdom of Poland) Dyec. Grodzisk Kr. Pol. Image Attached.

His application for US Citizenship in 1918 states he was born in Zawodowic Poland Russia and the ship's manifest of his crossing in 1907 has it listed as Abodowna Russia. I was told that maybe it is not Zabudowice or Zawodowic but Zawidowice which I found in a gazetteer showing that Grozisko is the Diocese. But and maybe I'm making too much of this, I found it online in a book called the History of North Western Slavs, written in Polish a reference to Zabudowice the town listed on his marriage certificate. I have images of all of this. Can anyone with more experience tell me if I'm heading in the right direction? Do you think that it is Zawidowice? Any insights would be extremely helpful and appreciated!

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 1.05.47 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  327.15 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 1.05.47 PM.png

Tina Ellis

Replies: 74

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:57 am      Post subject: Grodzisk, etc. Place Names

I bet you are in a tizzy trying to find at least one of the places. I use mapa.szukacz.pl when I want to find places in Poland. One really nice thing about this website is that you can use a * as a wildcard. I typed in Grodzisk*, and found 83 places with Grodzisk as the first word in places, such as Grodzisk Mazowiecki, etc. Most of the places listed all begin with the work Grodzisko or are named only Grodziszko.

Kr. stands for Kreis. It's like a county in which many villages or larger cities are. I think Dyec probably means Diocese.

As far as the other places go, do the same as I did with Grodzisk. I can' tread the print clearly on the attachment you sent. If's better to take a photo of something like this. It will enable us to enlarge them without them getting too fuzzy to read.

There are very many places name Brzeziny. Tarnowskie used to be a wojewodztwo (province). Tarnowski was and still is a county. Since it says Gal., which is the abbreviation for Galacia, you can assume it's in lower Poland on the SE area.

Unfortunately, your work on this one will be a project, in which you will have to use the process of elimination. You can try to find the Diocese listed in google.pl and check it because they list the parishes that belong to it. Then you find the villages that are the parish. Hopefully, you will find the one you wish. That's why I said it's a process of elimination. You can do it, but it's tedious. Good luck. Please keep us posted on what you find.

Tina Ellis
Send e-mail
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:36 am      Post subject: Re: Zabudowice Kr. Pol

MichelleRZ wrote:
I have a somewhat complicated question. I'm looking for my paternal grandfather's place of birth in Poland. I have 3 documents that have 3 different but similar looking locations. I can not find any of them. His marriage certificate from St. John's Cantius church in Chicago in 1913 states: Zabudowice Kr. Pol. (Kingdom of Poland) Dyec. Grodzisk Kr. Pol. Image Attached.

His application for US Citizenship in 1918 states he was born in Zawodowic Poland Russia and the ship's manifest of his crossing in 1907 has it listed as Abodowna Russia. I was told that maybe it is not Zabudowice or Zawodowic but Zawidowice which I found in a gazetteer showing that Grozisko is the Diocese. But and maybe I'm making too much of this, I found it online in a book called the History of North Western Slavs, written in Polish a reference to Zabudowice the town listed on his marriage certificate. I have images of all of this. Can anyone with more experience tell me if I'm heading in the right direction? Do you think that it is Zawidowice? Any insights would be extremely helpful and appreciated!

Can you show the other documents you mention?

PAYPAL: [email protected]
MichelleRZ

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:24 am      Post subject: Photos of Documents

Attached is his Declaration of Intent. For the ship's manifest, Vincenti Dzingelewitz left Antwerp and arrived at Ellis Island on November 28, 1907, here is the link to the image on Family Search. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JXLF-96V

Thank you Tina and Marcel for helping me with this!

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 8.22.43 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  622.74 KB

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 8.22.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 8.22.29 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  745.57 KB

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 8.22.29 AM.png

MichelleRZ

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:38 am      Post subject:

Here is a better image of his marriage certificate.

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 8.37.42 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  546.46 KB

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 8.37.42 AM.png

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:40 am      Post subject: Re: Photos of Documents

MichelleRZ wrote:
Attached is his Declaration of Intent. For the ship's manifest, Vincenti Dzingelewitz left Antwerp and arrived at Ellis Island on November 28, 1907, here is the link to the image on Family Search. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JXLF-96V

Thank you Tina and Marcel for helping me with this!

maybe the village name is Zawidowice located in Grodzisko parish
this parish records are available online but not for 1885. To check the 1885 it is necessarily to contact poznań State Archives, i can do it if You want

Zawido.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.96 KB

Zawido.JPG

zawdo2.JPg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.15 KB

zawdo2.JPg

Last edited by marcelproust on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
MichelleRZ

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:46 am      Post subject:

Zawidowice is the first place I am going to look since it seems to be the most obvious. I think I will have to just look at documents one at a time to find the record of his birth. I have many years for his birth depending on what document you use. I will be looking primarily 1885-1889 but searching the surrounding years as well. Thank you again for all of your help.
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:47 am      Post subject:

MichelleRZ wrote:
Zawidowice is the first place I am going to look since it seems to be the most obvious. I think I will have to just look at documents one at a time to find the record of his birth. I have many years for his birth depending on what document you use. I will be looking primarily 1885-1889 but searching the surrounding years as well. Thank you again for all of your help.

this parish records are available online but not for 1885. To check the 1885 it is necessarily to contact State Archives, i can do it if You want

Last edited by marcelproust on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
MichelleRZ

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:52 am      Post subject:

Thanks Marcel. Do you have a link for the online records? I am going to check 1886-1889 first. If I do not find anything, I will go back to 1885 and would appreciate your help with that. 1885 would make him 28 when he got married and I think that would be a bit too old from what I'm told by his family but I'm not ruling anything out at this point.
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:55 am      Post subject:

MichelleRZ wrote:
Thanks Marcel. Do you have a link for the online records? I am going to check 1886-1889 first. If I do not find anything, I will go back to 1885 and would appreciate your help with that. 1885 would make him 28 when he got married and I think that would be a bit too old from what I'm told by his family but I'm not ruling anything out at this point.

online records cover the period of 1818-1874
they are here: https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/53/3313/0/-#tabSerie

i have found Grodzisko birth records for 1885 but there is no birth record for Wincenty
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSXN-KS42-T?i=482&cat=162129

MichelleRZ

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:46 pm      Post subject: Search in Google

What I find interesting is this book I found using a Google search which refers to Zabudowice in German. It looks like a gazeetter of some sort published 1846. Unfortunately I am finding translating the old German typeface rather difficult. What are your thoughts on this? Here are the scans of the cover of the book and the pages referencing Zabudowice. I was able to translate the title page mostly as:

The Margravate is Moravia
Topographical and historically
gefilbert ?
Gregor Volny
Benedictine and Professor
Second Edition

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 11.41.45 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  234.97 KB

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 11.41.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 11.41.29 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  255.82 KB

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 11.41.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 11.41.00 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  106.09 KB

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 11.41.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 11.40.41 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.57 KB

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 11.40.41 AM.png

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:56 pm      Post subject:

Hi Michelle,

The challenge is not just the typeface, it is the fact that the writer utilizes numerous abbreviations as well as outdated spelling (e.g., Thal which today is written Tal, =valley). I’m not fluent in German but I can manage to read the typeface. I have tackled the first paragraph of your first screenshot above. Here is what I see in the text:

6. Zabrdowitz (Zabrdowice, ehem. Zabudowice), 1 St. n. im Thale und auf einer Anhöhe, zählt in 34 h. 190 E. (95 mnl. 95 wbl.) und hatte vor Alters 1 hof den 1581 verödet war.

Here is what I think the abbreviations stand for:

6. Zabrdowitz (Zabrdowice, ehemalige Zabudowice), 1 Stadt nannte im Thale und auf einer Anhöhe, zählt in 34 häuser 190 Einwohner (95 männlich 95 weiblich) und hatte vor Alters 1 Hof, der 1581 verödet war.

I understand it to say that Zabrdowitz, also called Zabrdowice, and formerly called Zabudowice, is one city with the names Zabrdowice in the Valley and Upper Zabrdowice. There are 190 inhabitants, 95 men and 95 women, living in 34 houses.

Does it help?
Sophia
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:38 pm      Post subject: Re: Photos of Documents

[quote="MichelleRZ"]Attached is his Declaration of Intent. For the ship's manifest, Vincenti Dzingelewitz left Antwerp and arrived at Ellis Island on November 28, 1907, here is the link to the image on Family Search. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JXLF-96V

Thank you Tina and Marcel for helping me with this![/quote

Everyone,

Going to his stepbrother Jozef Wolosewitz, in Chicago. This may be a clue.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
MichelleRZ

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:57 pm      Post subject:

Thank you Sophia, that does help. I now know that is a description of towns in an area of Prussia/Germany and it does match what is on my grandfather's marriage certificate. There is a full book, I only posted excerpts and I will come back to that if nothing else is found. The town Zabudowice was written by a priest at a Polish Catholic Church in Chicago so I want to believe it is correct but maybe not. I am currently looking at all Grodisk that would have been in the old Kingdom of Poland which was under Russian rule at that time since he indicated the Diocese and Kr. Pol. I am hoping something turns up.

Gilberto, I did notice he has a step brother which was unknown before finding the manifest. I have done a quick search of that name and haven't found anything relevant yet but I will keep looking. The manifest does confirm that his mother's name was Anna as it appears on his marriage certificate, so that is a good find!

One small step at a time.
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:39 am      Post subject:

MichelleRZ wrote:
Thank you Sophia, that does help. I now know that is a description of towns in an area of Prussia/Germany and it does match what is on my grandfather's marriage certificate. There is a full book, I only posted excerpts and I will come back to that if nothing else is found. The town Zabudowice was written by a priest at a Polish Catholic Church in Chicago so I want to believe it is correct but maybe not. I am currently looking at all Grodisk that would have been in the old Kingdom of Poland which was under Russian rule at that time since he indicated the Diocese and Kr. Pol. I am hoping something turns up.

Gilberto, I did notice he has a step brother which was unknown before finding the manifest. I have done a quick search of that name and haven't found anything relevant yet but I will keep looking. The manifest does confirm that his mother's name was Anna as it appears on his marriage certificate, so that is a good find!

One small step at a time.

Michelle & Everyone

Maybe I am dreaming too much, but....

- I have notice that passengers in lines 17, 18 and 21 mentioned the places Abodowna, Abodowne, Sabludowe and Sabudowa, which I assume are misspellings of the same village. In addition, they are all going to Chicago.
- the surnames related to these passengers are Dziegielewicz, Pilecki and, on the next page, Wosolewicz and Kuprynowicz.
- now, take a look in Geneteka >Podlaskie > Zabludów (only marriages, unfortunately) and you will see all these surnames are listed there, including a Jozef Wolosewicz.
- http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=S&w=10pl&rid=5669&search_lastname=wolosewicz&search_name=&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=
- 20 miles Southwest there is a village named
Grodzisk woj. podlaskie
pow. hajnowski
gmina Narewka
33 osoby - though that was not a Diecezja, obviously.
kod: 17-220

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: