PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:00 pm      Post subject: In Search of Zima Relatives

Hi to the group. I need some help and perhaps some additional suggestions on how to find the birthplace and family members for my grandfather. His name is Michel Zima and from the Passenger Listing he arrived at New York on April 9, 1903 after leaving Bremen, Germany on March 28th, 1903 on the vessel Princess Irene. He listed his age at 22 which puts his birth about 1881, however other documents list his birth date as December 27, 1883. He listed his last residence and his birth place as Witkowice, and his nationality as Galacia and of Polish race. From what I understand about the history of Poland, the country as we know it did not exist during this time frame and was divided into several pieces. He was married in Chicago January 18, 1904. His death certificate list Poland as his birthplace but the Declaration of Intention for US Naturalization from 1913 list Witkowice, Poland as his birthplace and last residence. Marriage and birth dates are consistent with the few documents I have. I believe he had brothers named Marcin, Wojciech and Jan. Any help is greatly appreciated in tracking down additional information on his birthplace and his father.
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:32 pm      Post subject: Re: In Search of Zima Relatives

zemora wrote:
Hi to the group. I need some help and perhaps some additional suggestions on how to find the birthplace and family members for my grandfather. His name is Michel Zima and from the Passenger Listing he arrived at New York on April 9, 1903 after leaving Bremen, Germany on March 28th, 1903 on the vessel Princess Irene. He listed his age at 22 which puts his birth about 1881, however other documents list his birth date as December 27, 1883. He listed his last residence and his birth place as Witkowice, and his nationality as Galacia and of Polish race. From what I understand about the history of Poland, the country as we know it did not exist during this time frame and was divided into several pieces. He was married in Chicago January 18, 1904. His death certificate list Poland as his birthplace but the Declaration of Intention for US Naturalization from 1913 list Witkowice, Poland as his birthplace and last residence. Marriage and birth dates are consistent with the few documents I have. I believe he had brothers named Marcin, Wojciech and Jan. Any help is greatly appreciated in tracking down additional information on his birthplace and his father.

Hi,

Your grandfather got married at St. Adalbert Church (17th St., Chicago) and the church marriage record gives the names of his parents. He did have a brother, Jan, who was married in the same church on November 19, 1902. Both records are attached.

Galicia aka Austrian Poland was in the southern part of present day Poland. There are a number of places named Witkowice which were in Galicia. Two handy sites which may facilitate your search when used in tandem are: https://mapa.szukacz.pl/mapnik.html (a contemporary search-able map of Poland) and http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/ (indexed records).

Wishing you success in your search,

Dave

zima 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.03 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

zima 2.jpg

zima.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  967.36 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

zima.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: