PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:27 pm      Post subject: Gajdek Family Lutoryez Galizien

Trying to locate info on my Busia Sophie (Zofie) Gajdek. Born January 15, 1891. Immigrated to US in 1912. She married my Gza Gza Boleslau Wyzykowski in the U.S. I was able to obtain quite a lot of information on the Wyzykowski side. But everything stops at Zofie Gajdek. I remember her telling me she lived in a rural area. Dirt floor, chickens ran through the house etc. She was the youngest and the one chosen to go to the US. She never saw her family again. I wish I could find out more about her. She was a wonderful Busia.

It did come up that she was from Lutoryez Galizien. I’m new to this website and I may have already posted something similar.....so I apologize if that is the case.

Any information or direction on locating her and her family would be most appreciated. I would be interested in visiting....Thank you. Donna

864D24FA-5E6D-4E08-BD81-6CFC4B9218D1.jpeg
 Description:
This photo is of my Gza Gza, Busia Sophie, my Uncle Ed, Uncle Bill and Father Chester
 Filesize:  5.09 KB
 Viewed:  5129 Time(s)

864D24FA-5E6D-4E08-BD81-6CFC4B9218D1.jpeg

Taddys

Replies: 33

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:52 pm      Post subject:

Hi,

Are you looking for this Sophie? Smile

https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1310/0/-/2/skan/full/rDvLbCSS6adTiTsTCzyJvg

Best,
Taddys
WYZYKOWSKI FAMILLY

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:18 am      Post subject: Thank You for this Information

I am having a hard time reading and translating this document. Can you help me? I don’t read or write Polish.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:14 am      Post subject: Re: Thank You for this Information

WYZYKOWSKI FAMILLY wrote:
I am having a hard time reading and translating this document. Can you help me? I don’t read or write Polish.

Hi Donna,

The record is in Latin. Surnames are in their Polish form, but everything else is in Latin. Here is a template which should help you understand the headings of the columns for future records. In Galicia (Austrian Poland) records were kept in Latin in the columnar format until after WWI. In the translation I entered the first names in their Polish version followed by their English version for your convenience. The place of birth was the village of Lutoryź, which belonged to the parish of Boguchwała (where she was baptized). The sponsors (Latin: Patrini) are the individuals whom we commonly call godparents. The other entries in the record include the illegible signature of the priest and the name of the midwife who helped deliver Zofia. The record is assuredly that of your grandmother based on the info you posted originally.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Col. 1: Series = Number in Order: 2

Col. 2: Mensis = Month: (Top: 1891) January

Col. 2a: Natus = Of Birth: 15

Col. 2b: Baptisat. = Of Baptism:16

Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number: 89

Col. 4: Nomen = Name (of person baptized): Zofia/Sophia

Col. 4: Religio = Religion
Col. 4a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b: Aut alia = Or another: Blank

Col. 5: Sexus = Gender
Col. 5a: Puer = Boy: Blank
Col. 5b: Puella = Girl: Checked

Col. 6: Thori = Bed
Col. 6a. Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 6b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank

Col. 7: Parentes = Parents
Col. 7a: Pater = Father: Jan/John Gajdek, the son of Antoni/Anthony (Gajdek) and of Maryanna née Drozd
Col. 7b: Mater = Mother: Maryanna/Mary/Maryanne, the daughter of Wawrzyniec/Lawrence Kawula and of Agata/Agatha née Roman

Col. 8: Patrini et eorum Conditio = Sponsors and their State of Life/Occupation: Jan/John Kawula & Zofia/Sophie, the wife of Michał/Michael Burz
WYZYKOWSKI FAMILLY

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:46 pm      Post subject: Grateful

Dave,

Your information is SO helpful. Thank you so very much for this information. I would have never figured it out on my own. My husband attended a Catholic College in MN where Latin was a requirement. He set me straight on that piece of it!

Do you happen to know how I would locate her siblings? I know from her stories that she was the only child that was sent. It’s hard to believe she came all by herself at the age of 20. She never saw her family again. She married my Grandfather and he was a furrier. The family didn’t have a lot of money but we all had fur coats! I remember the stories of him sending coats to relatives in Poland where he sewed money into the lining.

Anyway, if you could point me in the right direction to her siblings I would sure appreciate it. I know that my sister corresponded with a cousin at one point who was a doctor. She didn’t save the letters or doesn’t recall much of the information. UGH!

I wish I would have asked more questions but I was in high school when my Grandma passed. Now at age 62 this information is important to me. I would love to go and visit and reconnect possibly with relatives.

Again....I can’t thank you enough for all of this information...

Best......Donna
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:20 pm      Post subject: Re: Grateful

Dave,

Your information is SO helpful. Thank you so very much for this information. I would have never figured it out on my own. My husband attended a Catholic College in MN where Latin was a requirement. He set me straight on that piece of it!

Do you happen to know how I would locate her siblings? I know from her stories that she was the only child that was sent. It’s hard to believe she came all by herself at the age of 20. She never saw her family again. She married my Grandfather and he was a furrier. The family didn’t have a lot of money but we all had fur coats! I remember the stories of him sending coats to relatives in Poland where he sewed money into the lining.

Anyway, if you could point me in the right direction to her siblings I would sure appreciate it. I know that my sister corresponded with a cousin at one point who was a doctor. She didn’t save the letters or doesn’t recall much of the information. UGH!

I wish I would have asked more questions but I was in high school when my Grandma passed. Now at age 62 this information is important to me. I would love to go and visit and reconnect possibly with relatives.

Again....I can’t thank you enough for all of this information...

Best......Donna

Donna,

The best, and probably the only, way to find any siblings of Sophie is to go through all the scans of births for the village of Lutoryź. Here is the link to the scans of birth records: https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1310/0/-/2#tabSkany

Although this is not what you are looking for here are links to two children of Jan Kuwala, brother of Maryanna Kuwala (mother of Sophie). I happened to find them by clicking on two two random scans on both sides of 1891.
https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1310/0/-/2/skan/full/U5zQC9EVvVmfkuK8ueJdng
https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1310/0/-/2/skan/full/OvtkHv1q0vmkhsq69mEDiw

I fell into Latin by accident. In Catholic high school 4 years of the language were required. I went to Loyola in Chicago where I had more Latin. To make a long story short—after getting a MA in Classical Languages, I couldn’t find any dead Romans who wanted to carry on conversations so I taught the language—no regrets. Like the saying went among us scholars: “Latin killed the Romans and now it is killing me.” Seriously, it never did me any harm. That was all a lifetime ago.

Attached is a list of Latin first names with their Polish & English equivalents. Perhaps you may find it useful.

Wishing you success,

Dave

GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Filesize:  66.05 KB
 Downloaded:  248 Time(s)

WYZYKOWSKI FAMILLY

Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:45 pm      Post subject: Marriage Records

Hi Dave,

Still searching for Sophie’s siblings. But was also wondering where I might find marriage records. Again I appreciate your help......Donna
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:31 am      Post subject: Re: Marriage Records

Hi Dave,

Still searching for Sophie’s siblings. But was also wondering where I might find marriage records. Again I appreciate your help......Donna

Hi Donna,

The Polish National Archive in Rzeszów holds marriages for Lutoryż for 1859-1907. Unfortunately, as of now there are no digital scans available. Perhaps the records will be digitized soon, but for now access via computer is not an option.

Sorry that the news is not better.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: