PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:18 pm      Post subject: Szaflarska-Tatar

I have been away from Polish research for a while. My grandfather was Maciej Harbut married to Helen Brzezniak. I have found Maciej's mother to be Rozalia Szaflarska but a reference to Rozalia Tatar. Could that be her mother's name? His brother was Jan Harbut married to Katarzyna Harbut. They married in the US and I believe moved back to Odrowaz. Shellie you listed them as being in House #8 in 1914. Are there any further records of Jan & Katarzyna? You found them to have a daughter Anila who died in 1914. Any other children?
Carol
Send e-mail
drphil

Replies: 38

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:07 pm      Post subject:

Hello Carol,

Looking at some of Shellie's records, Aniela, born in 1904 is the only child listed as being born to Jan Harbut and Katarzyna Brezezniak.
They are listed as living in house #8.

Phil
Send e-mail
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1000

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:50 pm      Post subject:

Hi Carol!
Tatar is a name that is of interest to a few others at Polish Origins, but I don't see a Szaflarska connection in any of my records. It is very likely that Rozalia's mother's name was either Tatar or Szaflarska. I've seen in happen several times and I can not explain it. It is a very confusing issue and I only know about it because I found it in my family records. I wrote about it here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=3916#3916

I recently made a new genealogy friend with a Tatar ancestor and she thinks that her Tatars came from around Zakopane.

Brezezniak families lived in house #8 and #7 in Odrowaz as far back as 1810. Before that I don't have any info. Do you have any of that information already?
Carol

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:19 am      Post subject: Szaflarska-Tatar

I have the information about house #8 in Odrowaz. Is there any information about Katarzyna Brzezniak Harbut's mother or father? It looks like the daughter died in 1914. Her name was Anila which was my aunt's name in the US - translated as Evangeline. Jan Harbut was married to Katarzyna in Chicago IL in 1899 and then there are several trips back to Poland in the early 1900's. Keep wondering why they moved back. My grandfather, Maciej Harbut, stayed in Chicago. There was a mention on an Ellis Island record that Jan was going to his nephew, Josef Harbut, in Long Island. Cannot find the Josef Harbut connection.
Send e-mail
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:45 pm      Post subject:

Carol,

You wrote that there was a reference to Rosalia Tatar on a record associated with your grandfather Maciej Harbut but there was also a Szaflarski name for his mother? Can you provide any more details or post an image?

I sounds like Maciej Harbut and his brother Jan Harbut married sisters Katarzyna and Helen Brzeniak - do you think this is correct?
Carol

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:59 pm      Post subject: Szaflarska-Tatar

I don't remember where I got the Tatar from but the brothers did marry sisters according to research by a genealogist in Poland. Another Harbut was doing research and this was not his family but he sent it to him anyway and we have been in touch.
I am attaching 2 death certificates that I received from Mike Harbut. We are trying to figure out if we are related. Jan & Maciej's parents were Jan Harbut & Rozalia Saflarska.

jan harbut 2.jpg
 Description:
Can you translate both of these?
 Filesize:  28.19 KB
 Viewed:  5420 Time(s)

jan harbut 2.jpg

rose harbut 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.75 KB
 Viewed:  5420 Time(s)

rose harbut 2.jpg

Send e-mail
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:16 pm      Post subject:

Carol,
I bet you got that info from me in an earlier post: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=1541#1541

I went back and looked at the 1904 birth record for Angela Harbut. I then tried to sharpen the image because on closer examination, I question whether Tatar is the surname of Angela's paternal grandmother. It looks like it might be Fiedor. I'm posting the image to get some additional comment on the name. I also think that Angela could have died in 1904, but the writing is still a little fuzzy. My gut says that she died in 1904.

We did our best to read each record that I have, but this is a perfect example of how easy it is to misinterpret a record, especially when they are fuzzy. I hope we can figure this out.

Do you have any documents that shows the surname of Maciej's & Jan's mother? It wasn't clear to me whether the 2 certificates you posted were your family or not (maybe the 1st one was?)

Since you said that their mother's maiden name is Szaflarska, the attached record for Angela Harbut might not be the correct family.... or we might still have the grandmother/mother surname switching because it looks like the mother's surname matches what you have for the wives of Jan and Maciej.

various births 1904 (p57).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  567.32 KB
 Viewed:  5422 Time(s)

various births 1904 (p57).JPG

Carol

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:50 pm      Post subject: Szaflarska-Tatar

The death certificates I sent were given to me by another Harbut. I am trying to decide if I am related to those. I also had trouble with the death certificate you posted. It does look like Angela not Anila.
My grandmother Helen Brzezniak was born in March 1874 and Katarzyna in Nov 1877 in Odrowaz. Somewhere I have a reference to Staszeciak in my notes as their mother's name. You may have even sent it to me. I will copy the post you sent. Thanks for your help.
Send e-mail
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:59 pm      Post subject:

My great-grandmother's name was Aneila, but her birth record shows Angela - the Latin version of Aneila.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: