PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:45 pm      Post subject: Looking for family

I recently became 'actively' interested in my Polish heritage after discovering relatives of mine had travelled on a ship called the 'Shakespeare' that departed HAMBURG in October, 1875 + arrived in Petone, Wellington, NEW ZEALAND in January 1876. Martin Ofsoski / Osowski was travelling with his wife Marianna (Anna) + their children.

After talking with several family members it would seem serious attempts to trace the parents of both Martin + Marianna have been futile. An old church record uncovered by a Polish genealogist showed Marianna linking to a Krakowska / Krakowski relative although her records were recorded as maiden name Richert - however, the Krakowska name later showed up on one of her child's birth certificates. In cases like this, do people's records just vanish? What are the likely scenarios as to why no links could be found to either of their families!?

Martin was 53 + Marianna 39 when they arrived in New Zealand. It turns out New Zealand was trialling an immigration scheme that involved employment building NZ roads + rail, but does it seem unlikely that a man of that age would've been interested in such work!?

within this forum was able to link into an existing family tree.
Malgroetsema

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:02 pm      Post subject: Church Records in Poland

While this may not be helpful, I can say from personal experience that my family's records from Poland in the 1800s and earlier are not available online. I am fortunate to have a Family History Center near me that has copies of 5 microfilm copies of church registers from the Lisia Gora Parish. These are not available online and online searches do not result in any hits. Some of the films from that parish can be viewed at FHCs, but they are not indexed and hence no information shows in any searches. If you can narrow down the village/parish where your family resided in Poland, you may be able to locate records at a FHC. But it will mean gruelling work going through image anfter image of un-indexed church register pages. But for me, I have been able to document my family back to the early 1700s that way. Also, one final note/hint -- when I looked for records from my grandparents village - Kobierzyn -- I got nothing on FamilySearch. But when I searched for Lisia Gora Parish in the FamilySearch catalog, which include Kobierzyn, that is when I located the microfilms that had my family's records.

So your family records may not have disappeared, they just may have never appeared online.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: