PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 13

Post Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:04 pm      Post subject: Medrzechow house numbers, church records

I have house numbers for multiple relations in Medrzechow from 1790 to 1890. Are there maps that can show me the locations of those houses and is it possible to work out where those houses would be today?
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1055

Post Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:01 am      Post subject: Re: Medrzechow house numbers, church records

MartaMisiaszek wrote:
I have house numbers for multiple relations in Medrzechow from 1790 to 1890. Are there maps that can show me the locations of those houses and is it possible to work out where those houses would be today?

Hi Marta,

I looked for cadastral maps of Medrzechow and was not successful. If you were to find one, you would be very likely to be able to figure out current locations, just based on comparing positions on old vs. current maps. The date of the map will be important, because homes may have undergone a re-numbering process over time.

I did find one old map (but only about a hundred years ago). here:
https://polona.pl/item-view/a398a418-8f83-43f7-b4f9-25a2826f1472?page=0
Look carefully and you will see "Medrzechow" three times on that map, to the west and south of the Wolczanski forest ("las" is forest). You will get a sense of where the buildings were, since they are drawn as dark rectangles, but there are no building numbers. The little circles next to the roads are just showing you roadside trees.

And I did find a current-day map that has current-day house numbers if you magnify it enough, here:
https://mapa.targeo.pl/medrzechow%2033-221%20medrzechow%20220,21,20.9388239,50.2836927?data=eyJmdHMiOnsicSI6Im1lZHJ6ZWNob3cgMzMtMjIxIG1lZHJ6ZWNob3cgMjIwIn0sIndpbiI6InNlYXJjaC1mb3JtIn0=

Not long ago, Polish Origins created a whole tutorial on how to look at cadastral maps. You may find it somewhere here on the website, or at least contact them and ask. It may have ended up in their "Academy" section (see the tabs at the top of this page) in which case there is a fee, but worthwhile if you truly want to learn about this. Maybe someone else on the forum will chime in here with additional info.

Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
MartaMisiaszek

Replies: 13

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:13 pm      Post subject:

Thank you, Sophia, you are so kind!

I was not able to open the Polonia link, it opens but the screen is blank. Perhaps you could resend it?

I will be searching Polish Origins for a tutorial about cadastral maps, thank you for the suggestions.

Martha
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1055

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:23 pm      Post subject:

MartaMisiaszek wrote:
Thank you, Sophia, you are so kind!

I was not able to open the Polonia link, it opens but the screen is blank. Perhaps you could resend it?

I will be searching Polish Origins for a tutorial about cadastral maps, thank you for the suggestions.

Martha

Hi Martha,
I have tried a few times today to open the Polona.pl website and it does not open. I do not know what the problem is. I would suggest you try again tomorrow or whenever.
Good luck!
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: