PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 58

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:14 pm      Post subject: This Latin has me stumped!

Recently found Death records from a parish serving Josephsdorf, Galicia. One entry has the following notation:

'Francisus Jung maritus derelicto consortis Julianna nata Gotz, Sutor Lujas'

My translation is: "Franz Jung husband of the deceased Julianna born Gotz, shoemaker ________"

What the heck does that last word mean? I also see versions of it (Lujatis) listed in other death records... I can't find the translation anywhere! Grrrr.
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 597

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:59 am      Post subject: Re: This Latin has me stumped!

zolkie wrote:
Recently found Death records from a parish serving Josephsdorf, Galicia. One entry has the following notation:

My translation is: "Franz Jung husband of the deceased Julianna born Gotz, shoemaker ________"

What the heck does that last word mean? I also see versions of it (Lujatis) listed in other death records... I can't find the translation anywhere! Grrrr.

Familysearch.org has a Latin Genealogical Word List at http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/Rg/guide/WLLatin.asp#s
I couldn't find the word "Lujas" in the list, are you sure it is "Lujas" or could it also be "locus"? In this case my translation would be: Franciscus Jung widowed husband of Julianny Gotz, local cobbler/shoemaker.
Ute
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:47 am      Post subject:

zolkie,

I went to a Latin translator and put in Sutor Lujas
the reply is:
Shoemaker;
Lujas-assume this is Capitalized Proper name/abbr.
My guess is that Franz was a shoemaker possibly working for or under a Mr. Lujas.
My Ggrandfather was a shoemaker and another witness on a document also was-neither has the added term "Lujas" after Sutor.
It's the only thing I could find other than considering if the word Lujas is spelled incorrectly?
MaryAnne
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:37 am      Post subject: Re: This Latin has me stumped!

zolkie wrote:

I finally found a translation for the verb lujar: Lujar (article & verb transitive) = 1. To rub; To smooth the sole of a shoe; To luxate, to dislocate. (Medical).
My guess is that Franz Jung was a shoe polisher or a cobbler/shoemaker who was smoothing damaged leather shoe soles (perhaps for soldiers) or everything together. The version "Lujatis" probably refers to a person who is practicing this profession.
Ute
zolkie

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:42 pm      Post subject:

Thanks everyone for the input. I absolutely appreciate it! Unfortunately, I'm not sure that any of the current theories pan out. Below is the death record in question. You'll notice that many of the other death acts have this particular word associated with them. It seems to follow either the occupation (Sutor) or the word "Colonista".
Does this help?

zolkie

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:44 pm      Post subject:

Ute- Could the translation be "....husband of widowed Julianna born Gotz"? That would make more sense because Franz died before Julianna.

Hmmm....now I'm wondering if I'm mistaken in my assessment of the first letter...could it be a 'Z' and some derivation of the Polish word for alive? i.e. Zujatem or Zujatis?
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:17 am      Post subject:

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2793

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:06 pm      Post subject:

The word in question is actually "hujus" which in Classical Latin is written "huius". It is the Genitive Singular of the demonstrative pronoun hic. haec, hoc: this. Transcribed the record reads in Latin: Franciscus Jung maritus derelicatae Julianae nata Gotzin sutor hujus. Translation: Francis (Franciszek) Jung the husband of the surviving Julianna born Gotzin a shoemaker of this (place). His age is listed as 40 and the cause of death as tuberculosis (phtysis) (phtisis).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: